Garden Update No 7

Note: this post was originally written on the 20th September, the day after M's first visit, but I've had problems getting it to publish!

M turned up as promised yesterday and we chatted about what I was trying to achieve in the garden. She then asked what I wanted done as a priority and stayed for two and a half hours getting loads done, which was a lovely surprise as I thought it was just an introductory 'do we like each other' sort of meeting. Two of the existing plants in pots have been moved into larger pots, the soil level has been raised in the centre bed, some established plants have been moved and replanted, the new obelisk is in place, and two lots of bulbs have been dealt with. She has also marked the positioning of the minarette fruit trees with sticks. Plus a fair bit of weeding and some deadheading.

The colour scheme is mainly pinks, purples, reds, and whites, but I want to add some yellows as well. So far on the new planting there are knautia melton pastels (1st image) and knautia macedonica (2nd image) ...


Nandina domestica obsessed (it's a deeper red than it appears in this photo) ...

a double flowered pink Hibiscus 'Chiffon' ...

 and a Deutzia 'Raspberry Sundae'.

On order are Lavetera Barnsley Baby, Gladioli, and Angel's Fishing Rods, and I will be buying some salvia and a couple of others that M suggested but I can't remember what they're called! The plan is for sweet peas on the obelisk and hopefully some red poppies scattered around. I don't know yet what's happening with the rest of the bulbs I already have but some will definitely go in the pots ready for some spring colour. 

That's the lot for now as I need to wait and see what it looks like when it's grown. M has suggested planting for colour throughout the year with a lot more bulbs to fill out the planting rather than more shrubs which will eventually outgrow the available space.

In the longer term, the plan is to work slowly round the garden and review each individual flower bed to decide what stays, what needs to be moved and what else is needed. For now, she'll put in as much time as possible to get the garden to where I want it to be, then visit every other week to keep it maintained. Her next visit should be this Friday but the forecast is dire so I'm not holding out much hope!

Comments

  1. My goodness, I felt tired just reading through what she had achieved. Fingers crossed because she sounds a treasure.
    As always, really looking forward to more photos.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a treasure! There will be more photos later on but it all looks a bit messy at the moment.

      Delete
  2. M is seeming like a treasure - yeah! Such a beautiful collection of plants. What you called a double Hibiscus looks like our Rose of Sharon & nothing like our garden Hibiscus - I'll have to post a photo for you. I like her suggestion of colour filling with bulbs rather than shrubs, who never seem to obey as the catalogue says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're the same plant. It's pretty, whatever it's called. I really like her suggestion of colour filling with bulbs so am compiling a list of possibilities.

      Delete
  3. What a great and promising first meeting/consultation/chin wag with your new gardener. Makes you feel good when all the star align and happiness rules. She certainly seems to know her stuff and also (more importantly) asked what your needs/wants were/are and was eager to set to work and start to achieve them
    A good pairing for both of you by the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a good start and she's just texted to confirm for this week so it's looking good so far.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Your gardener is a wonder! Those are lovely plants. I have a couple of small nandinas, but they're a different kind than yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another nandina in a pot which is a rusty colour. I like them because there is interest all year long.

      Delete
  5. Hurray for all of that! I like the plants you've chosen, and the colour blends. Great that things are underway at last. Looking forward to seeing the realisation. I saw some interesting-looking fruit trees at the allotments today, laden with fruit, and thought "that must be what Eileen's having in her garden". I know rose of sharon as a type of hypericum, and it is yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled Rose of Sharon and it covers lots of different varieties. I wouldn't have a clue without Google!

      I'm hoping it lives up to my imagination - I not good at picturing it as it will be, which is why I'm waiting for next year before deciding on the rest of the planting.

      The fruit trees should be despatched in October, so not long to wait now. 😁

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad the first meeting with M went so well. She sounds like she's eager to get started and, at least, she texted to confirm this Friday's appointment. I do hope she turns out to be more reliable than Danielle, was. Hope the weather will be fine so some gardening can be achieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wants to come on Thursday so it should okay. I really like her so I hope this is the start of a long relationship.

      Delete
  7. Oh my, this will be so lovely. I like your color scheme of mainly pinks, purples, reds, and whites with a bit of yellow as a surprise. No doubt all the delays will be long forgotten when all that wonderfulness is in full bloom. It sounds like you've met someone well suited to your needs, hopefully it will be a long and fruitful relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sort of forgotten the delays already. The change of gardener, stressful though it was at the time, has worked to my advantage and I now have the support of someone who really knows their stuff.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts