Friday

Yesterday's optician and doctor appointments both went well. Everything looks normal, I just need to arrange for more regular BP checks so it's a return to the timetable I was following before the lockdown. Probably easier said than done, and it's no good buying a BP monitor for home as they don't seem to work on me, even when the doctor/nurses try to use them, but I'll do my best to stick to the plan.

I bought the book I wanted - Richard Osman's 'The Thursday Murder Club', but the sharpening place wasn't open so that's on the list for another day. I arrived home just before Royal Mail delivered a parcel, which turned out to be my new genealogy software ... brilliant service, arriving one day after I ordered it when I only paid second class postage  The National Trust member's magazine was on the doormat and also the local magazine, Staverton News. So I had plenty of goodies to play with but extremely blurry vision and it all had to wait.

It was quite late in the day before my vision cleared and I chose to play with the new software first. I've installed it and just played about, creating a few dummy records and having a go at changing some of the standard phrases, and also manipulating some of the report charts. So far, so good!

Today I want to make a start on transferring the family tree to the new software. It is possible to create a file to do it in one easy step but I've decided against that. There's no point transferring a file that contains corrupted data so I will input manually and check the data as I go along. It'll take longer but will be worth it. Luckily I have printouts of every entry prior to 1939 from before the database corrupted so I only need to check 1940 onwards ... a lot, but nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

We're due a few dry days now, though it's not going to be particularly warm. I'm waiting to hear back from J and L to arrange a couple of short walks (one with each of them). I took my final photo for the SPSH when I was in town yesterday but I still need to take some more on the green theme before the end of the month. 

It's the first of the new series of The Shows Must Go On tonight and they're showing 'Fame, The Musical' which I haven't seen before, so will plonk myself in front of the TV by 7 o'clock. It's feeling a little like the start of lockdown again, although that's not the case at all. 

Comments

  1. Ah, the family tree.......I know it well:)
    I’ve spent most time than usual recently ‘sorting them all out’. Good luck with yours - it’s definitely worth it in the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll keep me out of mischief anyway! I'm looking forward to updating all the info.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that the doctor's appointment went well and your eyes are fine. Sounds like you have a nice little project to work on during the coming days, when it turns cold and rainy, etc. Enjoy your Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My prescription has changed in one eye so I chose some new frames and will collect the new glasses in a couple of weeks. It'll be interesting to see if they'll help reduce the frequency of the migraines.

      I'm looking forward to sorting out the family tree and it's particularly good to have found other family members who are interested in it so I can share the information.

      Delete
  3. You are spoiled for choice over the weekend with the new software to learn & input with; new magazines to read; & shows to watch. I read that you got a prescription change, ... this may sound odd, but let's hope that the source of increased migraines was the eye strain - solved & resolved! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the new prescription makes a difference but if I am being honest with myself, it is unlikely. From a lifetime of suffering from migraines I know that I am just in a cycle of repeated bouts, which in a month or so will ease off for a few month, then the cycle begins again. It's not so bad now I am retired and don't have to worry about being well enough to work!

      Happy weekend to you and Mr Man xx

      Delete
  4. Glad your eyes are good.

    The software sounds fun. My husband's aunt is really into genealogy. She has so much research done on her family - literally boxes of it! She started doing it when she retired several years ago and I think it's much like going down a rabbit hole - lots of branches running off and no end in sight! She always seems to discover something new! I know she has been enjoying the zoom webinars she's been going to now that she can't go in person.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon.

      Your aunt sounds like me. I have one whole cupboard dedicated to all the records I've discovered over the years. I've been doing my own for the last forth years, but with huge periods when I didn't do any research, and I also did my late partner's as well.

      I'm 'going' to an online family history show tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. The transfer to the new software sounds like quite a job but hopefully it makes life easier in the long run. Glad the appointments went well and I will be interested to hear how you like the Osman book. The reviews have been amazing! Did you manage to get a rare unsigned copy?! I had the option but decided against as I am not buying hardbacks any more - too heavy to hold and they take up too much room on the already-crammed shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be worth the effort - that's what I'm telling myself anyway and I will have confidence in the accuracy of the data.

      Yes, it's an unsigned copy. This is the first hardback I've bought for ages. I usually stick to paperbacks but didn't want to wait to read this one. It's living up to my expectations so far.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your appointments went well. Congrats on the Mail Bonanza!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts