Staycation Day 3

The car park was almost full when we reached the garden centre yesterday but it's a huge place, so we decided to go in and see what it was like. L has been out and about more than me since the lockdown so she was more at ease than me, but once we passed through the main entrance we were pretty much on our own. I don't know where all the other people were but they weren't shopping for bulbs!

The selection of pots was disappointing so I didn't buy any and will probably look online instead. I did get a good selection of bulbs - daffs, tulips, alliums, and summer snowflakes, so they're all ready and waiting on Danielle's visit.

We had lunch there as well. There was a good space left between all the tables and it was waitress service only so we both felt comfortable with the arrangements. I had their chicken curry ...


... which looked good but wasn't really spicy enough for me. 

It was so good to talk with L face to face. We stayed for just over three hours, so had plenty of time to catch up on all our news and to suggest ideas for future meets.

one of the signs in the restaurant!
I bought an orchid for the living room. Most of the ones they had on sale were either too tall or the wrong colour, so I narrowed it down to this one - blogger has changed the colour so the pale pink on the back of the petals and buds has almost disappeared in the photo. I doubt it'll last long - I never have much luck with orchids!


There's a possibility that the choir may be able to resume weekly practices. The studies undertaken to monitor the dangers of singing in transferring the virus have confirmed that it's the same level of risk as talking so, with adequate precautions in place, we could meet together again. I don't know the timescales and assume the government will have to give permission for choirs to reform, but we have been asked to complete a questionnaire to assess the level of interest. I'm excited about the prospect but at the same time don't have enough specific information to make a decision on whether I will return immediately.

On to today and there's no special trips as it's gardening day. Danielle will be here later to plant everything that's turned up so far and to make a start on the bulb planting - some in pots and some in the flower beds. We changed her day from Tuesday to Wednesday and I didn't make a note of the time so will text her later to save me waiting in all day. It's due to rain but I want to walk over to the marina at some stage today. I'm also hoping to get to Home Bargains to buy a few odds and ends - if I get there, it'll be my first time in store shopping since March ... I'm feeling brave!

Comments

  1. I don't think I ever seen so many flower stems on an orchid, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all the buds do open its going to look amazing.

      Delete
  2. The chicken curry might not have been spicy enough, but, the presentation is beautiful! I love that sign about what they will do with unattended children! Too funny! Sounds like you had a good meeting with your friend. The orchid is lovely! I don't have good luck with orchids, myself. They all end up dead!

    Hope you have a fun day and the planting goes well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their food presentation is always rather special. Yes, I like the sign too ... parents take note!

      I had a lovely time with L, just chatting and catching up with everything that's been happening. It just felt like I was doing something normal but was special at the same time because things still aren't normal, if that makes sense.

      I'm counting how many days the orchid lasts. My previous attempts have all died too.

      Delete
  3. It's a fabulous orchid. My dad would love it. I always manage to kill any orchids I get but they are beautiful, even if they don;t really like me.
    Loving that sign!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched some videos on caring for orchids last night so I am going to try to do better with this one!

      Delete
  4. I am sure you must feel that you have really achieved something and yes it’s much better to see your friends face to face. That would be good if the choir can restart but if you don’t go will you miss out? Will they totally stop the zoom sessions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed feel like a huge achievement and other things will hopefully feel easier from now on.

      I don't know yet how the choir will be organised if it does restart the in person practices. With full attendance the required social distancing is impossible due to the number of people and room size etc. but I don't know the specifics of how it will work. Until she knows how many are ready to meet together she can't start working out the logistics so there is always the possibility that the zoom sessions may continue. I can't make a decision until I know what is decided.

      Delete
  5. What fun to be able to shop in person, meet up with a good friend & have someone else make the meal. Our Bishop has said an absolute no to singing at church until January 2021, mind you our first in person possible church service is scheduled for October 4th provided that the return to school for the kids goes OK & that date keeps getting moved, it's now September 21st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen anything from the government about choirs be allowed to meet in person so it may be that she is just information gathering at the moment in anticipation of resuming practices once the go ahead is given.

      Delete
    2. I know of a couple of churches around here whose choirs have resumed in-person practice. I don't know whether they sing for services but I believe it has been allowed for a few weeks but the C of E took a while to consider it before going ahead. I was a bit surprised as I have heard nothing from my groups, other than an "in principle" questionnaire. Mind you, with our performing venues still closed (and struggling) and issues such as dressing rooms to factor in, the decision had already been made to postpone the February show, so we have nothing to rehearse for anyway!

      Glad you enjoyed your outing and the very pretty, if a little disappointing, curry!

      Delete
    3. I know that if we do resume practices we won't be doing any concerts but will just be singing together for fun. It's a bit different for your groups isn't it? How would you manage the social distancing?

      Delete
    4. That's basically what the questionnaire was about. In our current rehearsal venues there would not be space to distance if everyone attended, so they were trying to see what might be possible once numbers and opinions had been taken into consideration, and whether people would even want to sing or listen to some music just for fun. It's all a bit depressing; I'd love to sing in a big group again as I really miss it but I'd have strong reservations about participating in a show even if it were possible, so the idea of hashing through random material with depleted numbers and no goal definitely seems like a pointless risk. 😕

      Delete
    5. Having read the email again it seems the choir will have to be split with each group meeting on separate nights. It depends on how she splits the groups whether it will be something I want to go to at present. If each group doesn't have a mix of voices so we can hear the harmonies, it's not worth it for me. There are lots of members who are probably in the vulnerable category so I can't begin to guess how many will be interested in resuming. Also, like you say is it worth the risk just to sing together with no concerts to work towards.

      Delete
  6. The chicken dish looks tasty. Too bad it didn't live up to the presentation's promise.

    We had a used book store that had a similar "unattended sign". I never went back. In those days it sounded more like an actual threat, and there were some of us who didn't think it was at all funny to joke about selling children.

    The garden shop sounds like a great place! So many bulbs! It'll make for a happy spring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have realised that the curry wouldn't as spicy as I like it as it as they never are in that sort of restaurant.

      The garden centre is within walking distance and has really grown in the last few years - much more choice, good prices, and helpful staff. I'll definitely be going back but will take the car as I'm sure to buy something!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts