Thursday

 


Yesterday turned out to be wet and cold! I was glad to stay indoors, only venturing outside when the top soil turned up as promised. It's now waiting on the drive for M's return. 

I spend a good part of the day on the family tree. My sister mailed the photos to her children and one of my nieces phoned to chat about the family tree. I gave her a printed copy some years ago but it grown out of all recognition since then so we were trying to decide on the best way to share information. It's much too big to present on paper as one large ancestor chart but she's keen to have a copy for her children to see.

This prompted me to look at the genealogy software available. The software I'm currently using isn't working as well as I'd like it to - for example, it keeps messing up the birth order of siblings and is incapable of recording twins properly, which is a bit of an issue for me! There's loads of other niggles but I won't go on! However, adding in the problem of the database corrupting when I input Baby R's details, I've decided that this is a good time to update and check the whole tree, and if I'm doing that I may as well choose some better software as well. I think I've settled on Rootsmagic UK, which amongst a whole host of useful features gives me the option of creating read-only digital copies of the tree to share with family. It also has the functionality to present the tree in book form, so may be a good starting point for the project with my cousin.

I found some of the old photos I knew I had but my sister has already packed hers in anticipation of her house move, so the photo side of things will probably wait until January.

Today I have an eye examination first thing. Friend S is taking me as I will have to have my pupils dilated (confirmed yesterday) so won't be able to drive afterwards. I'll still be able to go book shopping and get the secateurs sharpened as the shops are right next to each other in the precinct, but the rest will have to wait for another day. The remainder of the day really depends on how quickly the blurred vision from the dilation rights itself, but I hope to carry on with contacting other relatives, asking them to check that the information I hold is correct ... there's probably lots of new babies to add in for some of the more distant cousins. 

Comments

  1. It sounds absolutely fascinating - the family tree things, I mean. Quite exciting really.
    Good luck with the eye examination.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to linking my research with the old photos and the stories, when we get them written up. It all adds to the big picture of the family.

      The eye exam was fine thanks.

      Delete
  2. Don’t forget your sunglasses as you may need them straight after the check. I find it really uncomfortable in bright sunlight with dilated pupils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I put them in my bag last night so I wouldn't forget. The examination went well, everything looking normal, so I'm just waiting for my vision to clear properly now.

      Delete
  3. Look at all those happy plants after being watered by the rain! That new genealogy software sounds wonderful. What a fun and exciting project to work on! I know very little about the paternal side of my family and those who might know, my half-siblings, prefer not to talk about it. LOL.

    Good luck with the eye exam; I hope it all goes well. I'm glad your friend is able to take you and drive you back, afterwards. Hopefully, your eyes won't be blurred for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the plants weren't as happy as me ... all that rain meant I didn't have to water everything. We're promised a thunderstorm today!

      The software arrived in the post so I can get started as soon as my eyes clear. I haven't been able to find anything about my paternal grandfather yet so still have that to work on at some stage.

      The exam went well and no new problems to worry about. It all looks fine and I chose some new glasses as well.

      Delete
  4. I refer to my finished research as 'the book' although it isn't really a book, but it could be going by the amount of A4 sheets there are. Good luck with that as it's great fun with a sense of achievement when it's finished.

    Next month I have my annual Diabetic Eye Screening test which had been put off due to the Covid. Always something, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have traced my maternal lines back to 1595 and 1620, and one of my paternal lines back to 1614. I just have my paternal grandfather to research.

      I had my DNA tested and that has produced a list of potential relatives which I'm slowly working my way through to identify the connections.

      It is great fun, and the addition of the old photos will add interest to the research.

      Good luck with your eye screening. Yes, there's always something!

      Delete
  5. Glad to read that the eye exam went well, that's a relief. Now to get your upcoming doctor's appt seen to. I once did family research using an online package, trying to build on what my Dad had done before he passed. For my paternal side I have the family lines back to the 1400's. I think I've said before my maternal Grandmother is a stumbling block. Alas no one in my family is at all interested in the family lines, so I stopped. I have my fingers crossed M shows up to deal with the dirt & the rest of the garden. We could certainly use some rain, we are in drought conditions once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctor appointment was fine as well, thanks.

      Getting back to the 1400s is a brilliant achievement. I'm trying the DNA route to discover my paternal grandfather, so that may be something to consider with your grandmother.

      M isn't due until next week so I'm not worrying yet!

      Delete
  6. The gardening project is seeing new progress Hoorah! You have pretty pots :) Good luck with your eye appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's slowly getting there.

      My eye appointment was good news. Nothing unexpected and I've chosen some new specs, which will be ready in a couple of weeks

      Delete
  7. Hope the eye appointment went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, thanks Sharon. No new surprises and just a routine visit next time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts