Staycation Day 5

I thoroughly enjoyed myself yesterday. Rain stopped me playing outside but I have a long list of rainy day ideas ... this is England after all! ... so I had plenty of options to choose from.

I sorted out a few admin things first so now have a few social things in the diary. I heard from Danielle and the no show was apparently down to a diary mix up so she'll be here next Wednesday instead. I'm not too happy about it but there's nothing I can do to change it, so will let it go this time. 

Anyway, after admin duties I went off on a virtual trip to Italy for my first online Italian conversation. It was hard! When people speak Italian too quickly I struggle to hear one of the key words in a phrase and don't yet know the grammar well enough to compensate. I didn't speak that much but thankfully didn't make a complete fool of myself when I introduced myself in Italian or when it was my turn to order a virtual coffee. Hard as it was, I really enjoyed the challenge and will take part if another session is organised.

After lunch it was time for a virtual lecture on the historical graffiti in Winchester Cathedral. This is a subject I've recently been reading quite a lot about so this was perfect timing as far as I'm concerned. The lecture, delivered by Dr Cindy Wood of Winchester University, was organised by the Churches Conservation Trust and at the end of the video they gave details of how to become involved in documenting the graffiti in churches. I'm not rushing in to any commitment but will phone the Trust next week to see if there is any scope for volunteering in this area and if so, exactly what it involves.

I then tried to get started on my joyful jar but wasn't making any progress so abandoned it and settled down to read instead. I wasn't really in the right mood for anything crafty!

Most of the evening was taken up with a Zoom link up with friends. E had organised a quiz, which was fun ( but too many sports questions for some of us!), and P and L showed us the photos of their trip to Iceland back in March. All in all, it was a lovely day.

Today, it's supposed to rain later but I will attempt a trip out to look around a local church. Yesterday's lecture has piqued my interest so I'm going on a graffiti hunt. I know there is some in Edington Priory so that's where I'll start, assuming it's open to visitors rather than just for quiet prayer. 

Apart from that, I fancy a musical night but haven't decided what form that will take yet. I have a couple of DVDs, or the choices on Netflix and YouTube so will decide later on.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a lovely day! I am glad the virtual trip to Italy, the lecture, and the Zoom visit all went well.
    :) Hope the mix-up with Danielle was a one time thing.

    I hope you have another good day, today, and the rain holds off until you've had time to go to the local church and back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's raining already (9 am) so I don't know if I will go out - too taken up with the birth of my new great nephew in the early hours of this morning 😁😁😁

      Delete
  2. What a pleasant day! Diary mix ups do happen so fingers crossed it is a one off and plan sailing from hereon.
    Congratulations to all on the new arrival.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping although I have a feeling that it's related to her taking on extra customers - that's why I had to change to a Wednesday. I'll just see how it all works out, though I'm a bit annoyed that my session was delayed by a week when she knew I had all the new plants here and waiting.

      I've seen a photo of the baby and he is gorgeous 💙

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the world greetings to our newest arrival - it's a going to be a wild & crazy ride - enjoy.

    I think taking a virtual tour of Italy & practicing the language sounds fun. I am most intrigued by the church's graffiti tour & have book marked Winchester Cather to learn more about this church, so it looks like I'll be having a weekend virtual tour & thankfully I can already speak the language (col). Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The video is available on the Church Conservation Trust's YouTube page, as are all their previous lectures.

      Hope you have a great weekend too. xx

      Delete
  4. Hello Eileen, your activities are very interesting. The interaction on the internet speaking Italian must be very interesting.
    I wish you to accomplish all the other things you intend to do, such as visiting the church and having a musical evening.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. I'm really enjoying learning to speak Italian. The online conversation was an interesting challenge which I enjoyed though realise I need a lot more practice!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on becoming a great aunt!! I think that's at least two babies to mention in your end-of-year questionnaire :o)

    Sounds as if you are getting all the rain at the moment. We've been dry since Saturday. All the more reason why it would have been good for the plants to have got into the ground as anticipated. Let's hope Danielle just hit a blip, though it's odd she neither contacted you when she realised she'd double-booked, nor responded to your initial text. Maybe if her business is beginning to take off now it momentarily got a bit overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm worried about. If she overstretches herself it may get worse. It's the lack of communication as much as anything, which I know you'll understand. I'm just hoping that she'll be here for long enough on Wednesday to get everything planted.

      That should be the last of the rain for a while. It's supposed to be a week of sunny days now so I really would have liked everything to be in the ground by now.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a really busy day for a staycation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as much as I'd do in a day if I went away but it was all good fun 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts