Garden duties, puzzles and another quiz

Last night's virtual quiz was great fun and the perfect opportunity to forget about all the problems for a couple of hours. J couldn't make it so it was just L and myself and we did okay: our aim when quizzing is to answer every question and get over 50% correct. The questions were much harder than we were expecting but despite that, we achieved our aim and finished with a score of 32 out of 50. This was supposed to be a one-off event but the organiser said he is prepared to run a quiz every week during the crisis if people are interested ... there were 90,000 on YouTube and about the same on Facebook, so I think he has his answer, and I'll look out for the next one. Hopefully J will be able to join us next time.

I spoke to my sister yesterday and amongst other things, mentioned that I was waiting on the wool to crochet a blanket. Admittedly my previous attempts at crochet have been somewhat lacking to say the least but I do feel that her comment of "there's a global pandemic and you've decided this is the right time to learn to crochet - doesn't the world have enough to worry about?" was a bit harsh! Reading between the lines, I don't think I will get any help from her! 😂😂

Today I want to get out in the garden and start the tidying up. I originally thought it would be possible to order some plants online and have them delivered but I'm assuming that's no longer possible as the suppliers wouldn't be considered essential businesses so should be closed. The best I can do is keep it all as tidy as possible until the situation changes. I will only be able to work in the back garden as it won't be possible to maintain the 2 metre separation from others in the front garden so that'll have to wait.

Another choir virtual event has been organised for tonight ... luckily I like quizzes because that what's been arranged. I'll be on my own this time so let's hope the questions are easier! 

Here's my list of daily things:

  • physical: Doctor Jo's knee strengthening exercises on YouTube
  • in the fresh air: weeding at least one flower bed 
  • around the house: laundry 
  • social: the choir's Friday night social - it's a quiz tonight and this is also today's joyful activity
  • fun: maybe start a jigsaw puzzle, but definitely some puzzle book time 

Comments

  1. Oh that wasn't supportive of your sister about your crocheting ... just wait until she sees what you create, she'll change her mind. Mr Man & I are both itching to get out in the garden, but the ground is still frozen, so we were just picking up the fallen twigs & corn cobs. The corn cobs are from the squirrels bringing into our yard from the farmer's field behind us. But what surprised me most was finding a very white hollow bone, I think it belonged to the dogs next door, so it must have been the squirrels that stole it as our garden is completely fenced. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years of experience have taught her that at some stage it's very likely she'll get my wool!! I don't know if I'll get much done in the garden. It hasn't rained for over a week but one of the established pots is completely waterlogged so am hoping that's not indicative of the rest of the garden.

      Delete
  2. That wasn't very supportive of your sister, was it? Like Patio Postcards said, just wait until she sees what you make! Lots of tutorials online, so I'm sure you'll find yourself crocheting in no time. Just remember that the stitches are known by different terms between the UK and US. The UK "double crochet" is the US "single crochet", for example. So, if you are learning from online tutorials, stay with one system or the other, at least at the beginning. :)

    Sounds like you did well in last night's quiz; hope you do equally well in today's choir quiz. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's been traumatised by my previous attempts at knitting and crochet, also of trying to teach her children.
      I'd feel the same if she announced that she was going to do some sewing. 😂

      Thanks for the tips. It's not that I can't knit or crochet, more to do with my style as I do everything the opposite way round to my sister and apparently is painful to watch!! My Mum used to say the same.

      The quiz was great and also the chance to chat with L 'face to face'.

      Delete
  3. How rude of your sister!! :-) I think that when a lot of things are crashing, it's great to start learning something new and productive. It's positive, to balance all the negativity that is floating around right now! The quiz sounds great, well done. I do with my hearing was better so I could take part in things like that - never mind, I'm grateful for what I CAN do!
    I've ordered plants online and my fingers are crossed.
    Have a lovely time in tonight's quiz!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where were you when I needed you?😂 I'll have to remember that argument for future reference .... positive, balancing all the negative ... got it!!

      How do you manage to hear the TV. Using Zoom, you control the sound so can have it as loud as you need.

      I'll try placing an order today.

      Delete
  4. I am impressed at your attitude to learning to crochet - I gave up a long time ago. Good luck (and ignore the hecklers)

    btw a lot of places are hoping for online orders to keep them going and there are a few places on eBay that are still sending plants. It may not suit you, but I suppose it's an option. They won't be able to keep the physical shop open, but at least they can shift the seedlings. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I'll have a look tomorrow.

      It's very longstanding joke with my sister - I will send her regular progress photos and ask lots of annoying questions just because that's what we do 😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts