Kindnesses

I slept on an off for most of yesterday afternoon and I'm feeling much better today. I'm sure the diverticulitis flare up was triggered by stress so I am making a real effort to calm myself and to (try to) stop worrying about things I cannot change. I have to accept that the important people in my life will make their own choices on how to cope with everything this crisis throws at them. We are able to keep in touch and, should it become necessary, we will be able to help each other in an emergency. None of us can do any more than that.

Yesterday's first kindness came from neighbours in the Close. They have initiated a traffic light system and delivered two pieces of coloured card to every house. If everything is okay we have been asked to keep the green card displayed in a front window but if help is needed, for whatever reason, we change and display the red card (with our phone number written on it) instead. Someone is walking along the Close to check the cards every day but for the most part each house can see at least one house on the opposite site of the road - it's only my home and one other at the other end of the Close where someone needs to actively check. It's another example of people going the extra mile but it's certainly given me peace of mind.

The second kindness was from R, my friend's daughter, who send me details of local businesses who are offering home deliveries during this crisis. One of these is a fruit and veg wholesaler so I have ordered a box for two people, their smallest option, which hopefully will be delivered next week. They are also including milk in the package which they agreed to change for extra fruit or veg but if they forget I can always give the milk to someone else. Eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg, together with plenty of water, is key to keeping the diverticulitis flare ups at bay.

The next kindness was from M, the choir director. She has now set up a virtual choir for us so practices start again on Monday. This has been achieved using an app for video conferencing so I need to follow her instructions and get that set up today. I've printed out the songs for the next practice and some time during the week I will print the rest of the repertoire. 


She has also given us the details of one of the other choir she runs so we can join in with that as well if we want to. Thursday morning she is organising a virtual coffee morning so we have the opportunity to chat to each other and on Friday evenings it's prosecco and pyjama night with another opportunity to chat, and on Sunday afternoon it is Facebook Request Time where we can ask for something to be played or sung. There is a new (closed) Facebook group for her three choirs combined to hang out, chat and support each other and again, the offer to contact the choir for active support if anyone needs anything. She really is a star!

The final kindness is that, with the theatres ordered to close a number of production will be made available online. What's On Stage has listed all the shows you can now view online for free. There's all sorts - plays, musicals, Shakespeare, opera - but some of them are only available for a limited time. Also Andre Rieu is releasing some of his full concerts free of charge on his YouTube channel. I watched one last night ... the perfect feel-good viewing for these troubled times! 

Comments

  1. What a fantastic idea that green/red card system is. I like & think I'll suggest to our little community.

    You are doing a great job at fending off behaviour fatigue ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will point out that this idea was found online and apparently some people are saying that this system highlights vulnerable households and could encourage criminals. I'm not sure I agree because if every household displays a card, how does it highlight one particular house as vulnerable. The idea is to write your phone number on the red card so you can be contacted easily and then change straight back to green as soon as you receive the first call.

      Delete
  2. I think thats a good idea. Lovely neighbours. I had the email about Andre Rieu and am looking forward to hearing him. I went to his Maastricht concert two years ago and it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I watched last night was his 2018 Love in Maastricht concert. Is that the one you saw? I had tickets to the UK concert tour that was cancelled when his trombonist died so I've only seen him on screen so far.

      Delete
  3. i'm glad your neighbors are watching out for one another, Eileen, and your choir director is making it possible to continue with the choir and keep in contact. How wonderful to have found a place that will deliver fresh produce, too. Hope you continue to rest and recover. Have a good day, today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a new example of community caring every day. I think most people are kind and caring at heart but busy lives often prevent this aspect of their characters being to the fore. This crisis is so shocking and life changing that people are reassessing their priorities.

      The fresh produce will be a bonus but I am okay for food if it doesn't work out. I hope it does though!

      I'm much better and have had a good day, thanks Bless.

      Delete
  4. That's wonderful - enjoy! I wish some of my groups had ways to stay in touch. I am keeping in contact with one or two people via e-mail but there is no organised initiative at any of them (as far as I know). As for my neighbours.... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling very fortunate. The photo group has also set a challenge to take a series of photos from the safety of home and garden, so I have that to do if I want. The mahjong group unbelievably is going to continue but I've declined the invitation to take part.

      I'm pleasantly surprised by the support of the neighbours as, apart from two families, everyone usually keeps themselves to themselves. It's early days so maybe something will happen in one or more of your groups.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderfully positive and supportive post. It's really given me the happies, thanks, Eileen. We don't seem to have anything as organised around here, although Jennifer has SW meetings organised and Lindsey is doing fitness and well being sessions online too,
    The market stall in town that sells wonderful bread has turned to delivery instead. It's a minimum order thing and the bread, being 'artisan', is not cheap but they're not charging for delivery and I am looking forward to my delivery on Tuesday, which I am sharing with Beth and Alex.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found a lot of the online sharing and local initiatives through Facebook - it's really proving it's worth now. I live in a village but my friends who live in the local towns haven't seen the same level of community care and support so maybe that's the reason. One local town is creating a list of volunteers which I found via an internet search rather than seeing it advertised so it's possible that things are happening in your area but you just haven't found them yet.

      Yum, the bread delivery sounds wonderful. Has Alex arrived home now?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts