Wednesday

slightly out of focus new leaves on the crab apple tree

I've just had the boiler serviced and the gas/carbon monoxide alarm checked. I had the option to cancel but decided it wasn't worth the risk as I have no sense of smell and wouldn't be able to detect a gas leak. I stayed in the living room out of the way and the service engineer wiped everything down before he left and then I wiped everything down again, just to be on the safe side. So, I'm all set for another year and don't need to worry.

I've spoken to Julie this morning and managed to shock her that I was up and communicating at that ungodly hour - she texted me so wasn't expecting me to phone back! She is now able to work from home for the majority of her work but Lauren, who lives with her and works for the NHS, has to go in to work every day. She's still working in the eye clinic but will eventually be retrained and reassigned to one of the wards as the hospital copes with the coronovirus patients. Scary times!

My brother posted on Facebook yesterday mentioning that the golf course was closed and to make matters worse his wife was now working from home, so I posted this in response ...


... the females in the family found it amusing even if the males didn't!!

One of the local pubs has organised a virtual quiz for tomorrow night so today I'll be liaising with friends to set up Zoom or Skype so we can take part as a team and discuss the answers. It'll just be a bit of fun rather than their usual prize quiz as teams/individuals will be marking their own answers, but if it's anything like their usual quizzes it'll be a good laugh! 

As for today, I'll carry on looking at genealogy info, learning about the other documentation available other than parish registers (baptisms, marriages, deaths) and wills. I'm still at the reading about it stage rather than researching through the more obscure sort of documents but am listing ideas of where to look next for my own research. 

Comments

  1. Great Photo. That's a cute meme for your SiL. Well done to the local pub for organizing a virtual quiz, we could all do with a distraction & a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The organiser has reported interest from all over the world - it's open to everyone via Facebook and will apparently be screened simultaneously on YouTube.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've your day nicely planned and organized. That virtual quiz sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just helped L download Zoom ready for the quiz tomorrow. She has no idea about computers at all so it was a very long phone call! I'm hoping the quiz will be fun and not too chaotic.

      Delete
  3. I have used Zoom for the first time today. They've removed the normal 40 minute cap so I was able to natter away with a group of old school friends for ages. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear. It's an excellent resource and will play a huge part in keeping in touch with family and friends during this crisis.

      Delete
  4. I sent that post to my brother . He was not amused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, my brothers didn't find it funny either!

      Delete
  5. Lovely photo! Funny quote. The virtual quiz sounds like a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'm 'going' to a virtual coffee morning today as well ... it's going to be a fun day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts