Catching Up At Home

I had nothing planned for today and have spent the day catching up on home things. The first task after breakfast was to hoover and dust every room. I still need to wash the bathrooms and kitchen floors but that may wait until next week. Every room is tidy so I'm happy with my efforts even though I haven't done anything towards finishing off the decluttering or spring cleaning.

My next task was in the kitchen to cook up some bolognese sauce, eating one portion for lunch and freezing five more. After lunch I cooked a chilli, so that's four more meals in the freezer, and later there'll be five or six portions of veggie chilli from the slow cooker.

I heard from Lauren, cancelling our arrangements to meet tomorrow. She was sent home from work yesterday with worrying symptoms of a high temperature and a sore throat. She works in a hospital and the people she has spoken to there think it is unlikely to be coronavirus but she obviously needs to self-isolate for the required period. She's on her own at home as her mum is currently on holiday in India and the only sister who lives near enough to help her is the one with the new baby so can't risk going near her. I spoke to her this morning and she has enough food to last her for over a week by which time her mum will be home again. In the meantime I'll speak to her every day to see how she is and we'll take it one day at a time. Lauren thinks it's more likely to be tonsillitis, which she is prone to, but she's going to follow all the advice and shut herself away!

I've done a bit of a stock take and a reorganising of the freezer and have worked out a shopping list ready for next week. I've been a bit lax with the bulk cooking so will make an effort to catch up next week. I also need to tweak or rethink my eating plan as it's not quite working. If I eat a more substantial breakfast I find that I don't want to eat again until about 4 pm and then only need two meals in a day. That in itself isn't a problem but it does make it difficult on some days because I'm not in a position to eat the second meal of the day when I need to and waiting too long to eat when I'm hungry is one of my triggers for the migraines. The problem days are the teaching days, where timings can't be changed, and the days when I have afternoon activities like the theatre trips and the photography group, so it's also not appropriate to have a snack and eat later. For the time being, on those days I've reverted to the standard three meals a day and maybe the long term solution is to do a mix of the two approaches. I'm still thinking about it!

To finish, please may I pick your brains? What says 'Spring' to you? It's the next topic for the photography group and my ideas for photos have stalled at spring flowers, lambs and blossom so your help will be very much appreciated.

Comments

  1. I am hoping and praying that your friend Lauren's symptoms are due to something other than this virus we are all talking about these days! May she recover from it quickly and without any complications. That is good that she has enough supplies on hand for the next several days until her mum returns and you will be checking on her, daily.

    You did great with all the vacuuming and dusting! Maybe that can be one of your spring photos - spring cleaning! Spring flowers, catkins on certain trees, the first baby leaves on trees, the first butterflies and birds, bunnies and chicks, Easter eggs, May poles (if they still have them) - these are some of what say spring to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm praying that she will be okay. She hasn't knowingly been in contact with anyone who could have passed the virus on to her but the nature of her job, in an outpatient department, means that she is in contact with the public without knowing their individual risks. So far the signs are good for tonsillitis so let's hope that's what it is.

      Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, maypoles are still around so that's a possibility. I thought after I pressed publish that I could also think about one of the Easter church parades.

      Delete
  2. how about sheets flapping in the wind on a sunny spring morning, or someone cleaning their windows after the winter rains.Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions. They've been added to the list.

      Delete
  3. Daffodils and cherry blossom! Not very original but that's what I always think of!

    Everything crossed for Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady E. Daffies and blossom always remind me of spring too.

      She's now sure it's tonsillitis which, although miserable for her, is good news.

      Delete
  4. Hope Lauren is okay. I bet she'll enjoy hearing from you each day as it will probably be really isolating. I hope she has a garden she can wrap up and sit out in so she can enjoy the fresh air.

    Spring - birds, sunshine, dandelions, flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's an indoor person and likes her own company, so won't struggle too much with having to isolate herself at home.

      Ah, dandelions ... didn't think of those. Thanks x

      Delete
  5. I do hope your friend is OK. Tonsillitis is no joke.

    How about lots of things out of the cupboard for a spring clean? White sheets billowing on the washing line. Open windows. Salads again. Trees and bushes with that green 'fuzz' all over them.

    I find a similar issue with my restricted eating and, as you are thinking, adopt a flexible approach to it all. When it fits, great. When it doesn't, adapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's not feeling any better this morning but is sure it's tonsillitis rather than the coronavirus, so that's a relief.

      Thanks for your suggestions, they've been added to the list.

      Yes, I think I will end up doing whatever is appropriate for that particular day.

      Delete
  6. I think for me signs of Spring include; boots, coats, hats,mittens stay at the back door, I don't have to wear! Or that I have a chipmunk sighting, as I did on Thursday (yeah). Or that the seed catalogues start arriving in the mail. Happy cooking, happy weekend wishes ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. I won't manage a chipmunk sighting but it did make me think of trying to get a photo of a hare ... the mad March hare would make a good photo.

      Hope you have a lovely weekend x

      Delete
  7. I hope your friend is okay.
    Have a wonderful weekend, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nik, she's sure it is tonsillitis so is feeling rather relieved.

      I hope you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  8. I hope your friend recovers without complication.

    Spring? Flowers like forsythia and daffodils and cherry trees and tulip magnolias... Spring rains on the greening grass. Birds beginning their mating rituals and preparations for nest buildings. Robins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's much better today, thanks, and is 100% sure that it's not the coronavirus.

      That's a great list. I'd completely forgotten about magnolias. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. I'm a bit late to the party, but how about black-headed gulls with their new black heads? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion but it's unlikely I'll see any in this area. I'll remember it for the future and plan accordingly as I'm sure this topic is revisited every year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts