The Simple Woman's Daybook - Saturday 14th March 2020

FOR TODAY - SATURDAY 14TH MARCH 2020

Outside my window ... the sun has changed it's mind and the earlier sunshine has faded into a drab dull day.

I am thinking ... about the coronavirus and how it will affect myself, my family and my friends. Two of my friends are currently abroad and not due to travel back for another week. One is in India and one in France but the situation is escalating so rapidly that I'm worried they may have difficulties travelling home as some countries have banned flights in and others, UK included, have cut the number of flights to and from these two countries. Let's hope I am worrying unnecessarily and they get back home with no problems. 

I am thankful ... for the change in the weather. It's getting warmer, the continuous rain has stopped and there is definitely a feeling of Spring in the air.

In the kitchen ... I've just cooked up a batch of butternut squash soup and there is a chicken casserole in the slow cooker.  

I am wearing ... red, black and white.

I am creating ... a list of things I can photograph that immediately say 'Spring'. So far, thanks to help from friends, I have come up with ... daffodils, spring flowers, dandelions, rabbits, chicks, lambs, hares, spring cleaning, maypole, sunshine, Easter things, and elderflowers. 

I am going ... to drive over to Woodborough Garden Centre to photograph their pick-your-own daffodil field. They only opened it to the public today so should still look spectacular ... it does start to look very sparse towards the end of the month so, weather permitting, I'll go on Monday.

I am wondering ... whether to stay away from the mahjong group, the photography group, and the choir until after this crisis is over. All of them are still running, though on the news today there was a suggestion that the UK will ban large gatherings next week. If that is the case the decision will be made for me but if not, I am still undecided. I also need to decide what to do about the teaching although they haven't closed the schools yet so I think this will be okay for now.

I am reading ... internet articles on simplifying life. The topic for this month in the Diversify Your Reading challenge is self-help - I've decided against reading an entire book and have settled for a variety of articles instead.


I am hoping ...  that my hospital appointment doesn't get cancelled. 

I am looking forward to ... warm, sunny days and being able to sit out on the patio.

I am learning ... to play mahjong, and thoroughly enjoying myself in the process.

Around the house ...  I've just about finished the spring cleaning and the house is looking nice and tidy. There's just the rest of the internal doors to wipe down and the inside will be finished with the exception of the dining room. The outside of the windows, guttering etc. still has to be done but I will get a window cleaner to do that for me. The dining room still has too many decluttered items stacked there to be able to use the table. I usually sell via a local site asking for cash on collection but don't really want strangers coming to the house at present, so I need to move everything possible to eBay and be prepared to post things. If that works I will just be left with the doll's house which will be difficult to package safely, so will have to wait for now.

I am pondering ...the changes I need to make to my daily routine now I have added in all of the recent groups I've joined. On some days I now don't have the time to do any chores etc in the morning so I need to work out how to tweak what I've been doing so the housework still gets done regularly. I've already moved updating my blog to late afternoon/evening and will try it for a few weeks to see how it works for me.

One of my favourite things ... the 'pop' when you open a new jar of coffee!

A few plans for the rest of the week ... a quiet weekend (probably watching films on Netflix, photos at Woodborough, teaching and choir on Monday, mahjong and teaching on Tuesday, no plans at all for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. 

A peek into my day ... a morning in the kitchen cooking, an afternoon catching up with friends via text and Skype, and an evening watching films.

A favourite quote for today ... "Kindness should become the natural way of life, not the exception", Buddha

Comments

  1. Sounds like you are in a bunch of groups! Do they have a high attendance? I would think if they aren't that big that they will be continuing. It might get worse before it gets better so maybe get out while you can? No flowers here yet but Spring is coming - I can see signs of it including the chipmunks returning to my garden.

    Hope your friends get back okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The choir is high attendance but not the other two. We've already been told by the various organisers that they will follow government advice so for the time being they are continuing. I'm still undecided but think I will probably stop going for now.

      The trees are starting to look green again and the blossom is appearing in places.

      Re. my friends ... thanks. Will this all affect you visiting your mum in the summer?

      Delete
  2. I like these types of posts - a bit of this and a bit of that. You've had a very productive Saturday, with all that cooking, etc. I need to take a freezer inventory and see what I have in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just getting prepared for the next stage which will inevitably come soon. A few days spent cooking now will make things easier later. That's the plan anyway!

      Delete
  3. Your days sound delightful. I agree with following government advice. Be safe but don't panic :) Spring and coffee will help us get through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the newspapers are to be believed the elderly and vulnerable in the UK will soon be asked to self isolate for four months. Unfortunately I fall into the vulnerable category so the immediate future looks rather different than I was hoping but as you say, follow government advice and stay safe. If this does happen at least it solves my dilemma about continuing the clubs and teaching!

      I have plenty of coffee on hand and hope you do too 😁

      Delete
    2. Our new guidelines (as of late yesterday) are to cancel/postpone all activities with 50+ people for 2 months. There's been no suggestion here to self-isolate that long, but staying home as much as you can and staying 6 feet away from everybody to practice social distancing. I expect things to tighten up here as more cases are diagnosed. The states and cities seem to be ahead of the federal government here, and some places are already closing bars and restaurants.

      Coffee in hand and with continuing rain outside, I'm not tempted to venture forth anyway ;)

      Delete
    3. The suggestion of four months for us seems excessive and unmanageable for many people. I wish they'd give us some clear guidance about activities for large groups - your state seems to have a sensible approach.

      Delete
  4. Well, it's been 10 days since you've posted, so a lot has probably changed. We are on lockdown now, and getting antsy already -- hubby is even taking to the idea of cleaning out closets, so you know he's bored. Hope you are well, despite everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's all changed. The UK is now on lockdown and only essential work is being done. Luckily I have lots of hobbies so am fine with being home alone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts