Getting Some Rest

The Tesco delivery arrived on time last night but most of it was missing. Whoever picked my order did their best, providing substitutes even where I hadn't selected that option but I had to return everything containing beef. I'll do another check of what I have in stock and take it from there, but I know before I start that there is no need to worry or to send someone shopping on my behalf. I am positive that I have enough for now so it just means I will need to place my next order sooner than anticipated. The biggest omission from the delivery was that there was no potatoes, fresh veg or pasta but I do have rice and think there may be one bag of oven chips in the freezer so, with some creative thinking and possibly some odd meals, I can manage.

I abandoned the plan to shop for a new toilet seat. The instructions are to stay at home except for urgent needs and this isn't urgent. I have three toilets in the house so replacing the seat on one (when it's only the lid part that's broken) can wait. It's a case of reassessing priorities isn't it, and if the broken seat should become a problem I can order online.

Gareth Malone is organising an online choir so I have registered for that and M has emailed to say the online singing for our own choir is nearly ready for roll-out. Despite the greed and selfishness exhibited by so many shoppers it's wonderful that there are many more examples of generosity and kindness in the growth of free online activities for children, community support groups, offers of help, and sharing of resources. I teared up last night when a neighbour who I've never really had much to do with, and who has a large family of his own to care for, put a note through my door saying that he knows I live alone and to call him if I need anything at all and he will do his best to help me.

I'm not yet over the diverticulitis flare up and now need to give in and get some proper rest. I've done what I need to do and have started the period of self-isolating so being free from pain and feeling better in myself is now the priority. A few days draping myself along the sofa, reading or watching daytime TV, is all that's needed ... and keep taking the tablets of course!

Comments

  1. It does make you glad to have such kind neighbours. I'm hoping that in the next couple of weeks everyone calms down & the stores start to replenish the shelves. I do hope your diverticulitis calms down quickly.

    Spring arrived last night so I was out in the garden before the rain started to welcome her. I am focusing that Spring is a time of renewal & hope. Let's hope 2020 stops being a Stephen King novel & maybe becomes a Nora Roberts tale ... happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The supermarkets have announced that they are limiting the amount people can purchase of certain items to ensure there is enough for everyone. I'm hopeful that the shelves will restock properly in the new two or three weeks.

      It's very spring-like here now after a grey start this morning. The UK PM suggested that this stage of social distancing/isolation is expected to last for the next twelve weeks but they're not saying what the next stage will bring.

      Hope you and Mr Man have a lovely weekend x

      Delete
  2. That was such a kind gesture by your neighbor! We are seeing both the best and the worst in people during this time, aren't we?

    I'm sorry your grocery delivery was incomplete, but, hopefully, there will be enough of everything by the time the next order is delivered.

    I think you are right about not running out to get a new toilet seat, right now. Make do with what you have and replace it later.

    Take it easy and rest, now. Hope you recover soon from the diverticulitis flare up. Feel better, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely gesture and there was another one today but I'll include that in tomorrow's post. I slept most of the day and am feeling much better now, watching an André Rieu concert for free on YouTube.

      I've decided that I'll only leave home for an emergency now and will make do with what I have. The lack of veg has been resolved as the local wholesaler has started doing home deliveries so I have ordered one of their boxes.

      Delete
  3. That's really nice of your neighbour. I hope you take him up on the offer. I hope you can find someone who can help. I've reached out to MIL & FIL (who are both staying in as they have colds) and husband's aunt who lives alone letting them know that I can pick up somethings if they need it. I can't guarantee I'll be able to find some things but I'd be willing to try. Mum is so far away but I know that my two sisters and close and will help her when they can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take him up on his offer but only if I need to, and I hope that situation never arises. I'm more likely to seek help from my family and friends first. It must be even more difficult to be that far away from your mum and sisters.

      Delete
  4. My son and his girlfriend has a similar experience with their online shopping order, it was missing so many things such as potatoes, bread, fresh meat etc. They can't get another slot now for three weeks and they're having to self-isolate as someone they live with has symptoms so they can't get to the shop themselves. It's really worrying as we live too far away to help them out, but I'm sure they'll manage somehow. I hope you're feeling better soon, it's all worrying enough without feeling poorly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling much better today thanks, and at least I was poorly with a known condition.

      I signed up for emails from the big supermarkets and they are assuring everyone that there are sufficient stocks of food and that they have started limiting the amounts that any one person is permitted to buy. I think it will take a while to settle down but feel reassured that this aspect of the crisis will right itself and we won't need to be worrying about getting food.

      I think local councils are providing support for people in your son's situation so they may benefit from contacting them for some help.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts