Me On Monday

I had a quiet weekend at home and was able to relax a little. The key factor in this was managing to book a delivery slot with the local supermarket: the first available slot was April 19th and although the new shopping rules are such that I couldn't order everything I want, I now know that I have the means to restock my food supplies so can stop fretting about it. The April date is rather earlier than I need but the slots are like gold dust so, as it seems likely I will still be self-isolating then, I didn't want to risk waiting for a later one to be available.

I'm planning for it to be a simple week with the emphasis on relaxing and staying calm. Around the home I want to focus most of my efforts on the bathrooms, and in the kitchen the priority is to cook up some curries ... I only have three portions left!

So, on to today and I am ...

... shocked that there are still people who either don't understand the social distancing rules or have chosen to ignore them. I'm regularly seeing reminders on the local support groups to remind parents that the playgrounds are closed and they cannot take or allow their children to congregate there. Also, reminders from the police that the permissable daily exercise is not to be treated as an opportunity to meet up with friends. It really isn't that difficult to understand, is it?

... limiting the amount of screen time, or trying to. Taking part in all the virtual choir events and the quizzes, and all the video chats, family tree research, etc. means that I am spending a lot of time in front of the computer. I live alone so the virtual events and my hobbies play an important part in my daily life and I don't want to limit my involvement with my regular groups and activities. So as a response to this extra screen time, apart from updating the blog and commenting on others, I chose other ways of amusing myself over the weekend that didn't require sitting in front of a screen ... reading, listening to an audiobook, starting a (very hard) jigsaw, playing the piano, and listening to music. I feel better for the break and will try from now on to make the weekends a screen free zone.

... listening to a free audio book (The Witchcraft of Salem Village by Shirley Jackson), and the sing-along practice track for one of the songs the choir is learning - Sisi Sote.

... attempting a free OU course on algebra. I'll let you know how I'm getting on later in the week!

Today's list of things to do:
  • physical: complete 15 minutes of knee strengthening exercises with Doctor Jo on YouTube
  • in the fresh air: spend some time in the garden, although the forecast is for rain starting later this morning so I may be out of luck!
  • around the house: clean the bathrooms
  • social: join in with the virtual choir practice
  • fun: carry on with the jigsaw puzzle and also practice the piano 

Comments

  1. You have inspired me - I will join you on that algebra course although I have serious doubts as to how I will cope, algebra being the element of maths at school that I never really got my head around. I always feel I am only one step ahead of my students!

    I find it totally incomprehensible that anyone could be so utterly stupid as to continue to ignore the rules about social distancing. Yes, I know it's hard, but lives are at stake here and the future of our country, economy, well being. How can they be so selfishly ignorant?

    Enjoy the curry making.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the algebra. I was okay-ish at school but seem to have forgotten most of what I was taught, so it's going to be a huge achievement to finish the course.

      The government should present the advice as a compulsory requirement with no possibility of wriggle room in interpreting what an individual must do. The police have enough on their hands without dealing with idiots who creatively interpret the current advice.

      Delete
  2. I am glad your weekend was quiet and relaxing and you were able to get a grocery delivery slot. :) That must be quite a relief. I am amused that I am writing to someone in the future (you on Monday) because here I am, still on Sunday! :D Have a lovely Monday, Eileen. and enjoy a good start to your week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a huge relief to get a delivery slot. Comments in the local forum suggests that a fair bit of the order will be missing but it is three weeks away so hopefully the situation will have improved by then with regards to availability of food. Anything is better than nothing!

      Hope you have a good week too.

      Delete
  3. You have planned well to make that delivery work at it's best. There are a few grocery stores that are beginning delivery services. I'm like you with being amazed & somewhat disappointed in people, that they just aren't getting the seriousness of this pandemic. The police are patrolling the parks to ensure compliance. Really parents, you think this is a good use of the police?! Anyway, this week one of the window themes are rainbows, time to get crafty in making one. We have all been asked to reduce our amount on online surfing beginning next week. Since our schools won't be returning, the kids are going to finish their year (June) online & there is already a slow down of the internet ... we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been no mention of internet issues here and I am keeping my fingers crossed that that doesn't happen.

      Enjoy your rainbow making!

      Delete
  4. Hi Eillen,
    Your options for spending your time are excellent!
    Here, too, I am shocked by people in groups who intended to spend Easter holidays in the Algarve and elsewhere. The police had to call for bridging bridges.
    We are in a state of emergency and how it is possible not to understand!
    It is good to be able to get outdoors around the house. Sometimes I go for a short walk around my neighborhood.
    Hugs and good week.
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A state of emergency has been declared here as well but some people still don't understand the seriousness of the situation.

      I've been walking in my garden rather than going out.

      Delete
  5. We have been pleasantly surprised on the very few times we have been out that everyone is doing well on the social distancing. We walk at the nearby fairgrounds, and have seen parents take their kids there to ride bikes on the paved areas, but no one is on the playground equipment. We don't even speak, just wave. I think it would be really tough to have little ones at home during this time. We are still going to the grocery, but I am planning on stretching it out to 10 days between visits. If we can get a few dry days in a row, there is lots of yard work that will get us our exercise. Praying that things don't go as badly as predicted. I am opting for a little more blog writing and reading, and less news on TV all the time. Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still a bit too cold to be in the garden for long so it'd be lovely to have some warmer days.

      Most people are taking the social distancing seriously but there are a few too many selfish people for comfort.

      Delete
  6. Groceries will be a trial. I eat a lot of fresh fruit, and it doesn't keep. Congratulations on the slot.

    I think people here spent so long hearing that this was just a flu and the numbers were going down :( It's hard to do that turnaround. We've got people congregating in parks. It'll just make it harder :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ordered a fruit and veg box - it contains enough for two people for a week so should last for two weeks for me on my own. That's the plan anyway.

      Delete
    2. I usually go to the grocery every week but am moving to an every other week plan. I have some of those fridge storage containers that keep berries fresh longer, but they still won't last 2 weeks. At my last trip I picked up oranges and avocados. They'll last better. We adapt as we go :)

      Delete
    3. There aren't baby berries in the fruit and veg box but I do have some in the freezer ... not as good as fresh but better than nothing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts