Tuesday

I've found some more books to declutter so I'll last out the month to complete the challenge. Today's offering will be given to the same person who is now the proud owner of the set of recorder books I decluttered earlier in the month, as I'm sure she can make use of it.



I heard from the cleaning company yesterday who reported that S had 'forgotten/was confused with her timetable' and had mistakenly gone home early. They could have sent her yesterday but I was out when I took the phone call and didn't want her there when I was teaching so I had to refuse, which means she won't be back until her next scheduled date. One of my friends uses a different cleaning company so when she returns from holiday I'll see if she recommends them and if so, and the price is right, I may change over.

In the end I did my shopping in Melksham yesterday as I treated myself to some calligraphy magazines and I had to collect and pay for them.


This is part of one of those weekly/monthly magazine schemes which always work out to be really expensive but the person who advertised them had lost interest and was selling them. The majority of the packs have never been opened and still contain their free gifts (which will fit in the box on the left of the photo) and I can't see that any of it has ever been used so it was a bargain at £10 for the lot. This will enable me to have a proper go at calligraphy and try out some different techniques without spending a fortune on different pens and inks ... that can happen at a later date if I find that I enjoy calligraphy as a hobby.

I also did my shopping in Aldi. I haven't shopped there for years because I got out of the habit when caring for my partner and we started having the food delivered. Based on yesterday's visit I can see that it's definitely possible to reduced my food bill; I already eat quite cheaply but based on the current prices I think I could easily reduce my annual expenditure by at least £300. I'd like to try Lidl as well as it's not possible to get everything in Aldi. It all comes down to taste so if I like the things I've bought, and they don't make me ill, then I'll swap over permanently.

Teaching was fun and the children never cease to amaze me by what they achieve. I'm lucky that they all practice so I don't have to deal with the frustration of lack of progress due to lack of effort.

Today I'm in the kitchen cooking up some chilli and some keema curry for the freezer. In between stirring pots I'll be pottering around in the garden dealing with the few weeds that have dared to show their heads. I have one of those horrible pressure headaches so I am praying that the promised thunderstorm arrives and clears the air. After I've finished in the kitchen and the garden I don't have anything else that I must do, so will have a peaceful afternoon relaxing ready for tonight ... meeting Julie, Lauren and Sue for a meal which will be paid for using the tokens we won on a quiz night.

Comments

  1. I'm a great fan of Aldi and hope that you are happy with what you're trying.
    That's such a great deal. A tenner for such a lot of pleasure has to be good. Well spotted.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to use Aldi regularly but I was always unsure of their fruit and veg as it often went mouldy within a day or two of purchase. I tried their sweet potato burgers yesterday and will buy them again, but at the moment I can't see that I will be able to get everything I want in there.

      Delete
  2. We use Lidl and make great savings, we don't like their bacon, and use other foods we normally would not purchase, but it is fun to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lidl is the closest store to me as it's on my side of town rather than Aldi which is on the far side of town, so I'll try shopping in there later in the month. I have lots of food allergies so have to be careful about trying new things, but I should be able to make some changes to my usual buys.

      Delete
  3. We have a brand new Aldi store that opened about a month or so ago! It's the first such store in my area, but I haven't been there, yet! Maybe I should go one of these days and have a look.

    Well done on the book decluttering! The calligraphy set seems well worth the price. Sounds like a fun hobby to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's like the stores in the UK it's worth a look at least ... you may be pleasantly surprised, although you do seem to already buy at a good price so the savings may not be there for you.

      The calligraphy set is better than I was expecting. Although it is incomplete, there is plenty of guidance, examples and worksheets to get me started, so I'm happy with what I've bought.

      Delete
  4. That calligraphy looks a bargain! I love Aldi, but it saves me less than it should because I end up buying stuff from the central aisle. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very good and avoided the central aisle completely ... didn't even look to see what they were selling. I just stuck to my list!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had a very good day yesterday. I heard on the radio news yesterday that Ontarians paid 16% more for fruit & veg over the last year - I can confirm this in my own grocery bills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fruit and veg that have increased my food budget. 16% is a big increase.

      Delete
  6. Well done on your decluttering. I am still in the process too and I have made steps forward this year. Enjoy your calligraphy magazines and practice. I have a collection of inks and dip pens, but make marks and use them to draw with rather than writing. That's something I did a long time ago though, I remember writing all my wedding place names and invitations in calligraphy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts