Thursday


I spent ages looking for this book yesterday. I'm taking some new photos of all the doll's house stuff and want to include this book as part of the sale. There used to be another similar book but I didn't see it anywhere so I must have given it away already ... or it's hiding!

We had a lovely time last night (girls' night in) and they didn't leave until gone midnight. The date for the next get together is in the diary.

This morning G will be here to cut my hair, now slightly overdue because she was in Ibiza getting married on the beach. I've seen the photos on Facebook and am looking forward to hearing all about it this morning. 

This afternoon a neighbour is holding a cupcake party in aid of Dementia but, sadly, I have had to decline the invitation as I have an appointment with the optician, followed by an appointment with a solicitor to check through my will. She only sent the invitations yesterday so it is very short notice and I hope some of the other neighbours can make it.

I was supposed to be going to a new to me quiz tonight. This was a meetup event with a different group of people but I have changed my mind and yesterday I let them know that I can't make it this time. I've decided that it is time to add to my pool of friends but, after I signed up for the quiz, I had second thoughts and also decided that I need to expand the type of social events I do. I already do two quizzes and there is the possibility of adding a third with the same friends so I want to look for a different type of activity, preferably a daytime event.  I have no idea what this will be, I'll just have to keep looking! 

I think my joyful activity will be to carry on with the work on my family tree. I haven't managed to trace my paternal grandfather's family at all but recent connections via the Ancestry DNA look promising, and that's what I'm delving into today.

Comments

  1. That looks like a fantastic book. It's amazing what you can do with a bit of info and reasonable eyesight! Did you make anything from it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I made one of the rugs as a gift for a friend.

      Delete
  2. I love that book and I made the rug shown on the front. I don't have my house anymore, it was just too big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really get started with my house. Just after I bought it my partner received his diagnosis and our plans for making things for the house fell by the wayside. It's time for the house to go.

      Delete
  3. I had that book! I tried to do one of the little cushions and pretty soon realised my eyesight wasn't up to the task so gave it to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd struggle to make anything now as I have arthritis in my hands and would find it difficult to hold the small needle.

      Delete
  4. Well that proves to me that there is a book for everything. What talent you must have to be able to have done needlepoint on such a small scale. Sounds like a jolly time with your friends last night. I have tried to find my Gran's ancestry line, I have all the names I was told (no DOB) & locations but nothing through Ancestry which I find frustrating. Other than me no one in my immediate family is interested in searching. Good luck with your search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's more to do with patience rather than skill as it's just following a grid on a very fine canvas with a simple basket weave stitch.

      Re your Gran's family, try searching back from someone in your parent's generation to find a birth record which will confirm your Gran's maiden name. From there look for her marriage as wedding record often show other family members as witnesses. Failing that, try using Family Search, the LDS database which is free to use. I often find records in there that are missing from Ancestry.

      Delete
  5. Eileen - thank you for those tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of other suggestions if those ideas don't help.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you and your friends enjoyed your evening. Sounds like you've a busy day, lined up! You remind me that I don't do a lot of fun social activities with friends. I get together with family at least once a month, but, other than the prayer gathering, I don't do a lot of things with friends. Come to think of it, I don't have a lot of friends! Need to take steps to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get to see my family very often although we all live close to each other, so it means that ny friends have a much more important place in my life.

      Delete
  7. My goodness you would need a patient and careful hand for that kind of needlework!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts