Coffee Mornings and Quizzes


I slept through the alarm this morning so almost missed the choir's coffee morning but I made it by the skin of my teeth. It was a much smaller group this morning so it was possible to follow the chat and anyway, was just so good to see some faces. One couple had difficulties sorting out their computer camera so they spend a good part of the session upside down as if suspended from the ceiling! It's still early days but everyone is coping well and all report that they are communicating with friends and family much more than they did before the lockdown. It's that, together with the community spirit, that I hope continues once the crisis is over.

Tonight it's the virtual quiz. The organiser loaded a video yesterday to say that it's just gone completely crazy with interest from all over the world with over 400,000 'going' to tonight. I'll be forming a quiz team online with L and hopefully J as well, but she is busy sorting out something to do with her family so may not be able to make it this time. Our plan is to connect via Zoom (video conferencing app) so we can discuss the questions and follow the Facebook/YouTube quiz on our phones so we can hear the questions. I'll make contact with L about 30 minutes before it's due to start so I can talk her through logging into Zoom and we'll have time for a chat. Right at the start of the quiz there will be an interval so that those in the UK can acknowledge the NHS at 8pm (I think) with cheering and applause. I'm looking forward to this tonight as it'll be good to 'be together' without the focus being on the coronavirus and all the problems associated with that.

I received notification that my order for wool has been dispatched with delivery due in about 6 days, so that's another thing to look forward to. I was concerned that this would be delayed or cancelled due to the closure of non-essential businesses but this doesn't seem to be the case. 

Food supplies aren't an issue for the next four weeks (possibly) but yesterday I place an order for delivery of a meat box on April 3rd. This is from a farm shop and, as so many of these places have suspended deliveries because they are overwhelmed with orders, I decided to get some more for the freezer while I can. I'll just need to stock up with fresh fruit, veg, bread and eggs. It's currently impossible for get a supermarket delivery so if that doesn't improve I may have to ask for help with the shopping. That's quite a way off though so I'm not going to fret about it as the situation is changing every day.

This afternoon I'll carry on with the genealogy. I'm really enjoying the research even though I think it is unlikely that I'll use a lot of it myself. I discovered all about online access to UK newspapers yesterday and actually managed to find an article on someone in my family tree ... I may have been excited about that! The article contains quotes from other family members so allows me to 'hear their voices'.

Joy mentioned a good way of providing some structure to the day by assigning activities to certain headings. I think this idea will really help me so will have a think about it to see what I'd like my headings to be. 

Edited to add today's things ...

Following on from the previous paragraph, I have decided on my headings for the things I'd like to achieve every day:

Here's today's list: 

Thing 1 - physical: dance like there's no one watching ... today's exercise to pop music

Thing 2 - in the fresh air: move the heavy, but thankfully empty, pots around on the patio

Thing 3 - around the house: tidy the kitchen

Thing 4 - social:  virtual coffee morning with fellow choir members

Thing 5 - fun:  virtual quiz with L and hopefully J tonight

Comments

  1. Another great photo. I like your list for today - a good blend of things. I read a blog post from a woman that said she was mourning the lost of her daughter's childhood because of the self isolation. I thought oh my let's get some perspective here, this is not a life sentence - think I'll send her this list (I know her).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re your friend, it's not the loss of her daughter's childhood and by changing her thinking around, this is a fantastic opportunity for bond building and really getting to know each other. There's plenty of fantastic advice online from teachers about dealing with kids at home at this time.

      My list is a combination of things I will just not bother with unless I make the effort (things 1-3) and things which will make the time spent alone more enjoyable (things 4-5). It feels a much better strategy for staying on target with emotional well being than I was planning.

      Delete
  2. Figuring out the technology is a challenge. Churches are looking into Zoom, FB Live, Vimeo, Youtube... and having a hard time deciding which to use, much less how to use it lol I'm glad there are ways for communities to meet virtually. That's a big help!

    Your close-up photo is so clear! and the colors are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The internet is helping everyone and we'll all come to appreciate the positive aspects of it.

      Delete
  3. I love your headings. Much more concise than mine.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll confess ... I copied yours, removed a couple and changed the wording so it looked as though I'd given it some serious thought 😚

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you enjoyed your virtual coffee morning with the choir! I hope the virtual quiz will prove to be as enjoyable.

    Beautiful photo of the new leaves. :)

    It's good to know that you're OK for groceries for the next several weeks. Hope you won't have any problem getting your meat order delivered. Perhaps things will have eased up a bit by the time you need more fresh produce, bread, milk, etc. and getting them won't be too difficult.

    How nice that your genealogy research yielded an article about a family member! I watch a program on our public TV called "Finding Your Roots" where they research the family history of several well known people (mostly from the entertainment industry); I find it very interesting.

    I like your daily list of things to accomplish! Something outside, something inside, something social - something for me to consider! :)

    Hope you have a good day, Eileen, and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The daily categories worked well and provided a good structure to the day. It gave me a good balance between keeping up with the daily chores and some fun activities.

      The genealogy research also yielded a newspaper article about the murder of one of my great aunts as well. It's proving to be an interesting source of background information.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts