Feeling The Heat!

I don't do this sort of heat! I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling like a wet rag so I'm secretly hoping for it to cool down a bit a lot so I can enjoy the summer sunshine without melting! Either that, or can we have a lovely cooling breeze please? 

In the end I didn't get much sorting done yesterday. I was defeated by the heat and spent most of the afternoon flopped on the sofa with the fan going full blast. It's a shame it's this week and not next, because then I could have put the afternoon to good use and settled down to watch the start of the tennis at Wimbledon. It used to be a 'must watch' activity when we were growing up - life was arranged around the Wimbledon matches and I can remember racing home from school to get homework finished before settling in front of the TV. I sort of lost interest when it became the big power hitting games accompanied, it seemed, by lots of grunting from many of the top players. My late partner wasn't particularly interested in tennis and we just drifted to other interests as often happens in life. However, I caught some of the matches at Queen's last week and that little spark of interest has been reignited so I think I'll do the Wimbledon fortnight this year, for the first time in many years. Anyway, getting back to the problem of the sorting, I doubt I'll get much done if this heat continues for the rest of the week but I'll carry on and do what I can and just not beat myself up about what's still left to do.

Yesterday evening was spent on the phone. I'm obviously on people's minds for some reason and had calls from family and friends which took up most of the evening. It was good to catch up with everyone and also lovely to have an evening without TV. What wasn't so good was having to water the garden much later than normal (because people wouldn't take the hint and get off the phone!); I was too tired and didn't really want to do it but had no choice as I knew the plants in pots would be bone dry as I didn't do all of them yesterday. It was also dark, which wouldn't have been too bad if the external light had been working, but it wasn't so I had to manage with the available light from the house. I probably ended up missing the pots completely and just washing the patio instead, but at least I went to bed feeling that I'd done a good job! I'll give them all extra care and attention today.

I'll be teaching this afternoon and then waiting in for a delivery from Tesco. I've opted for a flexible delivery slot as it's much cheaper so the delivery will arrive anytime between 4 pm and 8 pm. If it arrives early enough I'll be going out for a meal with friends but if not, they'll come here and we'll have a meal delivered. This is a last minute get together, only arranged this morning, so it all has to fit around my food delivery as the cupboards are almost bare - a bit of an exaggeration but I really don't want to reschedule the delivery!

Comments

  1. It's a bit too much right now, isn't it? All the fans are out and I'm slumping too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...new to your blog! I hope you get it all worked out, and I'm sorry about the heat wave you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it's putting the kibosh on your activities. I have been ok, but then I'm mostly indoors. I must admit it would be nice to have a few nights' steady rain to clear the air and give the gardens a gentle soak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good idea to take it easy during the heatwave. You might want to restrict your activities to mornings when it might be cooler or evenings. Afternoons are best spent resting or relaxing. Maybe go to a place with air conditioning? When it gets hot here, I do a couple of things to keep the house cool (I don't have central air conditioning) - I open the windows in the mornings, when it is cooler, and then, close them and draw the drapes to keep the sun from heating up the house. Later, in the evenings, when the sun has set, I will open the windows again, to cool down the house. Also, when it is 100F and above, ice cream becomes a staple! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cooler here today, even though the forecast is for more of the same. It was hazy when I got up this morning but that's cleared so perhaps it'll heat up again as the day goes on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts