5 in 5 | The Chained Library

It's time for Sandie's 5 in 5 where we are asked to share 5 photos taken in 5 minute. 

Yesterday I visited Wells Cathedral for a tour of their chained library and am sharing some photos from that visit. It was a fascinating tour but I started to feel ill and almost blacked out at one point so had to leave before the end. I think I heard most of the information about the chained books as the guide had moved on to showing us specific books and describing their history, but I will go back to do the entire tour.


This was our first view of the chained books. Not every book is now chained because, as with most Cathedrals, they lost most of their collection during the Civil War in the mid 1600s. Wells is a secular cathedral rather than a monastic so they had survived the Reformation under Henry VIII unscathed, retaining their entire library.


The open book is The Actes and Monuments, popularly known as Foxe's Book of Martyrs, which was first published in 1563.



And this photo shows the same book, closed with the chain attached. The chains were attached to the back cover of the book as this was the strongest part. 



Because of the way the chains were attached, the books are stored with their spines inwards. They were identified by their position on the shelf (which never changed because, once chained, they stayed in the same place) which was recorded on a list displayed on the end of the bookcase.



The chains hang down in front of books on the lower shelf. These are still the original chains.

I'm cheating a bit and giving you one extra photo. I can't remember the name of the book as this is the last photo I took before I started to black out, but can remember that the book originally belonged to Thomas Cranmer. The red inked annotations have been confirmed as being Cranmer's own handwriting. Apparently it isn't unusual to see handwriting and various comments in these older books, the point being made was that although they were expensive items at the time they weren't museum pieces and were used as we use books today. The thing that makes these annotations unusual is the use of red ink which was a rarity during Cranmer's time.



The first photo is also a possibility for inclusion in the SPSH as No 16 | something that could be from a favourite book/movie/song as it could be the restricted library in the Harry Potter books.

Comments

  1. Hope you are feeling much better. How scary to be away from home & ill.

    Wonderful library & perfect 6 in5 & I thought of Harry Potter at the very first photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better thanks. I've had a few problems with dizziness and fainting recently and have discussed it with my doctor. Yesterday was different and I'm putting it down to the heat.

      Delete
  2. I had never heard of a chained library before. Have looked it up - very interesting. What a shame you weren't able to finish the tour. Pleased to hear that the dizzy spell sorted itself out on this occasion though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't occur to me that people may not have heard of chained libraries. It shows I didn't think that through properly and would have put an explanation if I had. Sorry x

      I'm not too upset about leaving the tour early, especially now I've looked into the possibility of a visit to Hereford during the last week of my holiday where the cathedral happens to have an even bigger chained library.

      Delete
  3. Just read a book that had a chained library in it---The Lost Book of the Grail by Charles Lovett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just read the blurb on Goodreads and have added it to my ever growing 'to read' list. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear you felt ill during the tour, Eileen. It must have been scary, especially if you had to drive yourself home, afterwards. I think you were perhaps dehydrated; I got dehydrated once and blacked out - fell in the bathroom at home and knocked my head on the edge of the bathtub! Fortunately, I've a hard head and nothing cracked open! Had a big bump, though! Still have a dent in my head, where it knocked on the edge of the shower door railing!

      It might be a good idea to carry a bottle of water with you when you go out and about and regularly take sips of it to keep yourself hydrated, especially when it is so hot.

      The BBC website had an item about the Hereford Cathedral's chained library. I enjoyed watching the video on their website.

      Delete
    3. I'm hoping to go to Hereford library during the last week of my holiday.

      Your poor head! Thank you for the advice - I'm off to buy a decent water bottle tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of a chained library either; your photos are wonderful! Glad you're feeling better; feeling lightheaded is NOT fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll write more about chained libraries after I've visited the one in Hereford.

      Delete
  5. I was excited to read this post Eileen because as you know, photography and books are my passion. I have heard of chained books but never seen them, so Wells Cathedral is now on my list of places to visit one day. I was fascinated by the writing in the book, and how people did not see books as museum pieces but as works to engage with. It took me a very long time before I could write in a book or turn a page. I now have a different relationship with books and those I know I will keep and want to go back to, I happy make marks in knowing that this builds a greater connection for me.
    I'm sorry you was unwell during your visit, I hope you can find the cause and treatment. Low blood pressure can sometimes cause this but it is good for your GP to check things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guide said that it's common to see doodles and all sorts of notes in the old books and that the users engaged with their books in exactly the same way that we do now. I think that was probably the most important fact I took away from the tour.

      If you want to visit a chained library you could also consider Hereford. Hereford has more chained books but the library is now housed in a purpose built building whereas Wells has fewer chained books but they are in the original room.

      Delete
  6. I have never heard of a chained library either! Wells Catherdral seem to have started some new tours recently. I have been tempted by the roof spaces one. Definitely not one to feel ill on. I hope you are ok now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine today thanks. I'm thinking about doing the roof spaces one as well, but will definitely need to wait for cooler weather. The guide said it gets very hot up there!

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear you weren't able to finish the tour - I do hope you're feeling better.

    My first thought at seeing your opening photo was that it reminded me of the restricted section of the library at Hogwarts! Definitely perfect for #16 of the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa, I'm feeling fine now. Harry Potter was mentioned on the tour but wasn't filmed at Wells,

      Delete
    2. Interestingly Harry Potter was filmed in a tiny church on the side of canal where I kayak.

      Delete
    3. Please will you let me have the details of that church? Thanks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts