Holiday Day 12

In the HF houses there is always some form of entertainment organised each night, usually quizzes and talks although there was also a ceilidh at the Derbyshire house. Participation isn't compulsory but it is a good way of getting to know people so last night I stayed on after the meal to see what was on offer.  

We split into teams and it was a 'drawing by committee' challenge. Team members had to take turns to draw a cow, each turn had to draw the named part, so first the tail and then the ears and then the udder and so on. Once we'd finished the drawings were exchanged with another team who then had to mark each element of the drawing out of a possible 5 marks. Surprisingly we were the winning team being awarded 47 out of 60. 

Here's the view out of my bedroom window this morning ... a grey, misty start to the day. The roof you can see is one of the garden rooms in the hotel grounds.


I started my day up at Usk Reservoir. A beautiful place with several easy walks around various parts of the reservoir but the weather hadn't improved and some workmen advised that the mist was still 'setting low' and not to hang about too long as driving on the tiny country lanes wouldn't be much fun if the mist did come right down. The water level in the reservoir is still very low despite the recent rainfall - the water normally comes up to the grass line. 


From Usk, I got a bit sidetracked when I saw a sign for a red kite feeding area, thought it would be a great photo opportunity so headed off to find it. Miles of winding lanes and one very unhappy SatNav later and I reached the place only to find that feeding time wasn't until 3pm ... as it was only 10:30ish I abandoned that idea and made my way to Crickhowell. I may go back later in the week if I have time.

Crickhowell has the remains of a castle, just the ruins of one tower and traces of the motte. 


There's also a lovely old bridge over the River Usk. The current bridge is 18th century and, at over 420 feet, claims to be the longest stone bridge in Wales. An unusual feature of the bridge is that it has 12 arches on one side and 13 arches on the other side ... I couldn't photograph all of the arches, so you'll have to take my word for it!



Anyway, who needs a SatNav when there are helpful signposts like this ...



... and a local peak called Table Mountain!


Comments

  1. Hello Eileen,
    Very interesting the game!
    I loved the bridge! It's beautiful.
    Hugs
    Have nice hollidays

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lost count of the number of times we have crossed that bridge! It is said that the arches were done like that to confuse the Devil........... it obviously worked because the bridge is still there. Did you explore Webbs of Crickhowell? That shop is like a Tardis. We once popped in to have a look and came out two hours later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos, so many are picture postcard perfect. Interesting tale about the 12 / 13 arched bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a bit behind with reading your posts, but I am enjoying seeing all the photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts