Saturday

There's no band practice this morning as the schools are on holiday, so I can have a pleasant day at home, reading and listening to some music.

We had a brilliant time at the folk club last night and thankfully, both of my friends enjoyed the singer. I've seen him too many times to count and love his voice and his music, so it was always going to be a winner for me.

This is a photo of the Village Pump Folk Club and is a place I first started going to in the 1970s, every Monday night for years. The majority of the crowd who first started the club are sadly no longer with us but their legacy lives on in the form of this club and the Village Pump Folk Festival, both of which stopped for a while and have been resurrected. The folk club is now held on a Friday night and my friends are interested in going again, so that's something else for the diary and something to look forward to!



I treated myself to two CDs last night. I first saw Johnny Coppin performing live at the Village Pump in the early 1970s although I knew of his music through his earlier involvement in the group Decameron ... I just never got to see them perform live. At one time I had all of his albums, all on vinyl, which I stupidly got rid of when CDs became the 'new thing'. His latest album is a collection of 30 songs from his career and includes a lot of my favourites so obviously I had to buy it, and the other one is the music from his Christmas show, 'All On a Winter's Night' which I saw a couple of years ago but couldn't afford the CD at that time.


So today's joyful activity is listening to these two CDs ... it's going to be a perfect day!

Comments

  1. Decameron - haven't played them for years. Found my copies of ''say hello to the band'' and "Parabola Road" and I'm going to play them now. I used to see them at Reading University '69-72.gwen765

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s a few Decameron songs on YouTube as well. Hope you enjoyed listening to the your copies today ... did it bring back memories of uni life?

      Delete
    2. It did, even though it is 45 years ago. I ordered the 30 songs cds from ebay as amazon didn't have it. Thanks for reminding me and I'll look on YouTube. I've never found a recording of one of my favourite songs "The saltmarsh" I think it was called. I'm playing Parabola Road at the moment.

      Delete
    3. Have a look on Johnny Coppin’s website as he is listing some Decameron albums for sale.

      Delete
  2. It does sound like a lovely, atmospheric and sociable place. Glad you had such a good night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s quite small with an audience of about 40-50 people, all seated on a variety of mismatched chairs. I love it!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it was a lovely evening! Glad your friends enjoyed it, too, and want to go again. Hope you have a lovely day of reading, listening to music, and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s been a lovely peaceful day thanks Bless ... walking again tomorrow though!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts