Saturday

Well the blood results weren't quite as good as I was expecting and there isn't a clear reason why I feel as I do. I need to try to lower my cholesterol level through diet and this will be reviewed again in October. This isn't a new problem and a slightly higher than average reading seems to be the norm for me and several of my immediate family. The current reading is not causing concern and I don't need to start taking medication for it, but the reading is just on the border where medical advice is to intervene and treat the condition. The more worrying result was that there is an indication that my heart may not be pumping as efficiently as it should so I will be referred to the heart clinic for further testing. This type of heart failure is a known complication of long term hypertension but my doctor feels confident that this next test will confirm that I don't actually have the condition; I don't have any of the other common symptoms so I am hoping he is right!

So for now it's back to diet and exercise. I'm reading up on the foods known to reduce cholesterol and will be tweaking my diet accordingly. The Slimming World plan will be be workable under this new regime (I think) but I am debating whether to do a combination of SW and calorie counting ... I still have to decide. I can also start adding in some regular exercise.

We are taking the kids busking in the town centre today so am hoping it stays dry and is not too sunny as there is no shade where we are playing. I'll be taking plenty of water and will be seated to play, so am hoping to avoid any possibility of fainting in the heat!

After that I'll be spending the rest of the day at home. I picked up some holiday brochures and will be spending the next few weeks poring over them and trying to decide where I'd like to go. I'm looking for something for next year, so have plenty of time to dream.


Comments

  1. My cholesterol was much too high and I found that first of all the changes I had to make to stop the gallbladder pains and then going onto Slimming World made such a difference that it is now at normal levels. It's a family problem so I'm very pleased about that.
    Hopefully, the changes you want to make via SW will make big differences just like it did for me.

    I'm sorry you're still left with uncertainly and am hoping the follow up test will clarify things in a positive manner.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting to hear about the changes in your cholesterol through diet. Heart problems are also a family thing so, although I want an 'all clear' result, I won't really be surprised if it isn't.

      Delete
    2. Dad also controlled his through diet for years: both avoiding high cholesterol foods and also by eating things which were believed to reduce the levels of bad cholesterol in the blood. Forgot to say have fun with the band today!

      Delete
  2. I hope all further tests come out with good results. Diet and exercise - they seem to be the watchwords for so many of us, these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I suppose I will have to take it more seriously now!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with everything. Let's hope it's something that's soon easily solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think the appointment will be quite quick as the clinic I need to attend is in the local medical centre rather than the area hospital in Bath.

      In response to your comment above, it's reassuring that your Dad was so successful in controlling his cholesterol levels through diet. There's hope for me yet!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts