Saturday

Yesterday didn't quite work out as I was expecting but it can still be counted as a very good day. After posting that I planned to go out somewhere I realised that the schools were still off and it was likely to be busy in the two places I had in mind to visit so I decided on a canal walk instead, aiming to walk in the opposite direction to the one I usually take. It wasn't as sunny as we'd been promised but it was dry, so ideal weather for a walk ... not that I got that far. I reached the corner to the Slipway, about five minutes from my front door, and bumped into R, a friend who moved away about ten years ago who was back in the area to visit her parents. We chatted for ages, catching up with all the news. She now lives on a narrowboat and regularly travels this way to see her parents so we will hopefully be seeing more of each other in the future and I have an open invitation to travel with her once it is safe to do so. Despite my good intentions I didn't make it as far as the canal! We talked for almost two hours - seemed like only thirty minutes! - so when we parted company it was time to go home again and get some lunch. It was so lovely to see her again, it made my day.

In the end I didn't need to go to the garden centre either as S, who collected the charity shop donations, offered to go for me so that I don't have to do any lifting. It's a really kind offer, which I agreed to, and he will deliver the bags of compost one day next week.  

On to today and I will watch the funeral of Prince Philip, but that's about all I've decided on so far. I think it's going to end up being a pottering sort of weekend, just pleasing myself and doing whatever I fancy.

Comments

  1. How wonderful to catch up with your friend like that when you weren't intending to walk that way, that was pure serendipity. I'll be watching the funeral today, I feel sad for the Queen. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a wonderful surprise and we chatted like we'd only seen each other the day before. I didn't know her parents had moved near me either so, once it's safe, I will catch up with them as well.

      I feel very sad for our Queen. I'm hoping that the media doesn't make a big fuss about Prince Harry being there.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes a sudden change in your plans gives you nice surprises! Some friends are for ever despite the physical distance because they have a place in your heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to meet up with an old friend like that! And to receive an invitation to travel with her in her narrowboat when it is safe to do so! Sounds like something fun to look forward to (always assuming you don't get motion sickness on a narrowboat!) Plus, you still have a walk along the canal and a visit to wherever you were planning to visit to look forward to. :) I am looking forward to a walk in my garden! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her, it was such a surprise. Hopefully things will work out and we'll get to meet occasionally in the future. I don't know about sleeping on the boat but I'll probably be okay with a day trip.

      Enjoy your garden walk! I'm hoping to go to Bradford on Avon tomorrow morning. xx

      Delete
  4. What a happy coincidence meeting up with an old friend and how exciting she lives on a canal boat too. It's nice when plans go adrift, but for a nice reason. (No pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The canal boat was news to me and I was surprised to hear how she's changed her life round since I last saw her. It was indeed a happy coincidence bumping into her like that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts