Review of Lifestyle Changes

Back in May 2019 I started keeping track of the various aspects of life I wanted to improve by adopting Bless' wheel of life approach, focusing initially on eight categories which evolved into the main goal and ten sub-goals listed below. Every aspect of life has inevitably been affected by the pandemic and the periods of lockdown but I have added my current ratings in red, based on how my life is as the UK attempts to slowly ease out of lockdown. I haven't reduced my ratings because of the pandemic and all the imposed restrictions on how we live, as I have still been living the only life I have to the best of my ability.  

I LIVE A FULFILLED LIFE [8.5]

  • I am financially secure and am completely debt free [10]
  • I take an active role in my local community, and have strong bonds with family and friends [9] - my community and ways of keeping in contact have changed but regular contact is happening.
  • My garden is always tidy and presentable [9] - There's always work to do in a garden but I have employed a gardener and the next few weeks will see the plans come together. 
  • I have a positive outlook on life and am benefiting by avoiding bouts of depression and keeping my emotional well being at a healthy level [9] - this will always require effort on my part and I'm addressing this.
  • I live life now, in the moment [9] - I'm getting better at this but it's easy to let it slip
  • My home is always clean and tidy [8] - I've definitely let things slip during lockdown but am gradually getting the house back in order. Plans for the future include employing a cleaner again!
  • I have removed my attachment to material things [8] - I'm nearly at the end of the huge decluttering task but still have work to do to stop valuing myself in terms of possessions
  • I eat sensibly and healthily and am benefiting by losing weight and experiencing increased energy levels [8] - I've made significant changes and things are slowly improving as a result.
  • I make best use of my time to lead a full and productive life [8] - procrastination is still a feature of my life but despite that, I am achieving the majority of the goals and tasks I set myself.
  • I lead an active life, benefiting from increased fitness and improvements in my general health [7] - hmm, this aspect of life needs attention!

So, there is still work to do in certain aspects of life to achieve the lifestyle I desire. I'm very aware that, despite good intentions and plenty of ideas, I have to keep addressing the same things over and over again without ever getting to a state where I have instilled the habits and routines that support and maintain the lifestyle I seek. 

Today, I listened in to Kath's Happiness Hub and one of the topics was the 'Four Bodies' - spiritual, physical, emotional and mental, so this relates to the person rather than the lifestyle (although you can't entirely separate one from the other!). These four bodies apply to everyone and need to be balanced with each other to achieve wellbeing. 


Image: SUM Society Uplifting Mothers page on Facebook

I won't give a detailed explanation of each one but you can read about it here if you are interested. Each 'body' has an equal importance so each one represents 25% of the whole to achieve the balance for true wellbeing. In the session we were given a brief description of each one:

  • spiritual: not necessarily established religions or belief in a God, but also consider the effects of being in nature or how you feel from a meaningful experience.
  • physical: addressing the needs of your body and how nutrition and movement contribute to your wellbeing
  • mental: keeping your mind active, looking for activities that stimulate your mind and challenge your intellect and your point of view
  • emotional: this is the social and emotional response to other people. It's about needing people, and connecting in a way that achieves a healthy balance between being alone and being with the right people, i.e. people that stimulate a positive emotion in you.

When Kath first introduced the subject my initial thought was that I have a good balance between the four but once we were asked to assess each one based on the questions she was asking us to consider, it very quickly became clear that my initial response was completely wrong and there is plenty of scope for improvements. We've been asked to look at a period of seven days that's representative of normal life and create a chart where all activities during our waking time over those seven days is accounted for on the chart. Once that's done we assign a colour to each 'body' and mark out the blocks of activity based on which 'body' the activity supports. Using colour means that we can see at a glance how balanced our lives actually are. I haven't done that exercise yet but will get round to it. 

I do know that there are things I need to address and I will work towards achieving a good balance. I'm already actively pursuing improvements in nutrition and attempting daily exercise (physical body) and have plenty of hobbies and interests that keep my mind active (mental body). Emotional and spiritual both need some attention and I will get round to that but don't want to make too many changes to my lifestyle all at once - there are some suggestions for how to improve the balance here. I am a work in progress!

Comments

  1. WOW, thanks for sharing the info from Happiness Hub. I think this is an exercise I need to do today. I was interested to see your comment about detachment to things to help you with de-cluttering, which is another thought process that interests me. Just yesterday in my dusting, I though, too many things to move & how did this happen? I have never thought of myself as a collector of things but yesterday's dusting has me thinking otherwise, which takes me back to needing to do this exercise of proportional attention to each room of self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to chart a week to see the balance but am confusing myself. Very few activities fit into only one 'body' so at present I have a very colourful chart and it's not too clear on the distribution of colours. I'm probably overthinking it so may have to start again!

      I found I was keeping a lot of things either because of Ced's attachment to items or because it may come in useful. I'm in the process of getting rid of 'may come in useful' items because if I haven't needed it in the past 10 years, then it's time to accept I don't need it and if I'm wrong it can always be replaced.

      Delete
  2. Creating a lifestyle that satisfies you, that you can take joy in, sounds like a blessing as much in the effort as in the accomplishment. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best to keep it fun, but it is undoubtedly worth the effort.

      Delete
  3. You have some high scores there so you are doing really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I feel like I've let a few things slip as some of the scores used to be higher, so I thought it would be useful to do a review.

      Delete
  4. I know I commented on this post, earlier, but, maybe I didn't hit "publish"! Never mind; I'll just comment, again! :D

    I think you are doing really well in your goals and maybe you should give yourself a slightly higher score in that last subgoal because you are taking a very proactive approach to improving your health.

    I have also heard of a version of the 'four bodies' - another blogger I read had discussed something similar, earlier this year, except she called them the four pillars of health and labeled them slightly differently (spiritual, physical, psychological, and family). Thank you for the links you've provided; I find it all very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a few of my ratings are down from the last time I posted online. I've just read back through this post and think that some of the ratings should be higher - I must have been feeling a bit down when I wrote this! I deliberately kept the last subgoal quite low because, although I'm being proactive in trying to turn things round, I still have the prediabetes to deal with as well as a high-ish cholesterol reading.

      The 'four bodies' seems to have an endless number of interpretations and names, but from the bits of reading I've done so far, all end up saying much the same thing. I thought you'd find it as interesting as I do. I can see some simple additions I can make to my life which will help get me on the right track.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts