Friday

Yesterday was nicely paced, filling my time with ordinary everyday things. Apart from the social distancing and mask wearing it was just like a normal pre-pandemic day and so, in that way, it was perfect.

The morning was taken up with errands. They were only supposed to take an hour at most but I was actually out of the house for three hours so my plan for a walk was put on hold! There was a short queue at the bank but I needed some pound coins to refill the egg money box so I had to wait ... why is it that every time I go into the bank I get stuck behind people paying in bags of coins or dealing with complicated transactions? Then it was off to Waterstones where I was hoping to buy a couple of jigsaw puzzles (ready for the winter months) with my Christmas tokens, one of which expires in July, but there wasn't anything of interest so I'll try again next month. 

As I was walking back to the car I bumped into friend H so of course we chatted (for ages) and during that chat she mentioned that the day before she'd bought some cosmos plants from the garden centre. Can you guess where I went next? I was lucky to get some - I bought the last three trays - and the assistant said they'd put their entire stock out late yesterday afternoon, it was all snapped up quickly, and they're not really expecting to get anymore as supplies of plants are problematic. While I was there I bought a couple of osteospermum as well, just because!

I also popped into the shop to buy some asparagus and some bread for the freezer, so now I should have enough in and won't need to shop for a couple, maybe three, weeks. I was tempted to buy some chocolate, which I did, but regretted it as soon as I'd paid for it so I took it straight round to my nephew's home for Misses C and H. He's still working from home so we had a long doorstep chat.

In the afternoon I pottered about in the garden, working out where the next lot of pots will go, sweeping the patio, watering (much later), and measuring up. I've (almost) decided that if I want to have annuals and veggies, which I do, I need to have somewhere to grow from seed to keep the costs down. I don't really have room in the house for baby plants so definitely need a different option. There is space on the patio against the wall of the house where I could place a mini greenhouse so I've been looking online to see what my options are. I will speak to M when she is here today but I'd also appreciate your opinions please. Okay, *idiot question alert* ... is this the sort of thing I need to be able to grow from seed until it's time to plant out once there is no longer a risk of frost? This is the one I prefer (but won't be paying that price) or would something like this be better? 

M will be here this morning and once we've talked about what I want her to do today, I have to sort out the birthday cards for May. I need to post two family ones today and the other three the following week, but those three all need letters enclosed so I must get on with it. I've been putting it off as two of those letters will be difficult to write because they are to friends who have recently lost family/friends to Covid. 

It's the Nutrition Focus this afternoon, but I can't remember what will be discussed this time, and that's all that's in the diary for today. Assuming I get the letters written I may go out but if not I'd like to continue with the family tree research - the Wiltshire Records Office has reopened so I'm making a list of all the things I want to check against original documents and will then attempt to book a place.

Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a very nice day, yesterday. Glad you were able to buy the last of the cosmos plants and osteospermum are always nice, too. In fact, I scattered a few more osteospermum seeds, today, to see if they will grow in the side yard. I like both greenhouses, but, I have no idea which one will be better for you. I have no experience with greenhouses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lovely day, thanks Bless. I only bought two osteospermum plants but will look for some more as I'm out and about.

      I've abandoned the greenhouse idea and have ordered a tiered trolley to use in the dining room instead.

      Delete
  2. Plastic version would be fine. I used one for years but now have a lovely big conservatory.
    Cosmos seeds approximately £2.50 for 80 seeds. It's a no brainer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely grow from seed next year but won't be buying a mini greenhouse. Going for an indoors solution instead.

      Delete
  3. I'd have thought not as unless they are heated they can get frosty cold but I have no personal experience so am probably wrong - I had one but used it for tomatoes after frost danger had passed. All I will say is that if you get one, make sure it is well staked/tied down. Mine blew over too easily for comfort!

    You can get more substantial little greenhouses but whether they are more stable, I don't know.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've given up on that idea and will do what Joy suggests (see next comment). I don't think the mini greenhouse option would stay upright where it would have gone and your comment made me realise that, so thanks.

      Delete
  4. The second option will give you lots more growing space, I would opt for that one - but indoors would be better. Could you not use a simple table/trolley on wheels to put inside your french windows, that's what I did at our last house. Obviously now I have a large bay window in the kitchen with a wide sill, which is great, and a desk underneath a skylight in my studio. Easier and cheaper to make whatever use you can indoors to start with (or you could just ask a friend x x).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really obvious when you say that! I've ordered a tiered trolley and that will live in the dining room when there are seedlings and the garage for the rest of the year ... plus the friend option, of course 😃

      Delete
  5. It's lovely to be out and about again and it does feel like normality is returning. Meeting your friend H was serendipity at play again and I'm glad you got your cosmos plants. It is tempting to buy chocolate I know that only too well, you have good willpower to give it away but think how pleased the girls will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls were very happy!

      I loved being out and about. Obviously it's still much quieter than it used to be, but people were being careful so it was easier than I thought it would be.

      Delete
  6. I am sure yesterday's outing & chat with friend H lifted your spirits immensely. Garden Centres are just starting to open locally & are allowed to have 25% capacity at any given time & I cannot wait to once again stroll among the plants. Cosmos are on my list. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting out and chatting with H was better than any medicine!

      I didn't see that the garden centre was limiting entry but I may be wrong. It wasn't crowded anyway.

      Delete
  7. I have something similar to your second greenhouse option and I wouldn't recommend it. The plastic cover on mine has degraded and just left the reinforcement behind so my cover is more holes than cover now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, that's what I was worried about. I'm going for an indoor solution now.

      Delete
  8. The cheaper one will do the job, I've got one, but it is crucial it's placed in a warm sunny spot, I expect thats an obvious thing to say! I notice the more expensive one does not have as many shelves but I expect you could get extra ones made or buy wire freestanding shelves to slot in additionally, it depends how many seed trays you think you will have. Good luck1 J.P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going for an indoor solution now. I can't heat an outdoor option so that wouldn't be ideal and don't think it would provide enough protection against frost. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  9. I have no experience with greenhouses, but I do grow lots of flowers from seed. I'm too lazy to pot up seeds, so I wait until the danger of frost is over, then toss seeds onto the beds, rake soil slightly over them, water well and hope for the best! They always do well. I sow a variety, including cosmos, zinnias, bachelor buttons, nasturtium, even giant sunflowers this way. It sounds like you had a lovely day out! Best, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to do some seeding like that this year. I'll see how it goes but I will always need to be able to look after baby plants while we wait for the frosts to finish because of gifts from family and friends.

      I like all the flowers you've mentioned. I bet it looks a picture when they all flower!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts