Garden Update 11

M was here for five hours yesterday and during that time finished off all the heavy digging, cleared most of the front garden, planted the blueberry bushes and moved some plants around. 


Next time she will deal with the spring bulbs. The daffodils are over for this year but for now, the tulips are still looking good. The burgundy clematis has been moved from the trellis on the back wall of the house and planted against the unused trellis (bottom right of the photo above) and the stones have been moved from the bottom of the garden to here to keep the roots cooler. The plan is to plant some thyme or something similar by the stones.

In the photo below you can see the flower bed behind the garage. This was where I'd agreed (with the previous gardener) to plant the columnar fruit trees and nut bush but M advised against it as it's too small a space for everything that was going to be planted. I cancelled the order, got my refund, but the trees arrived anyway so I gave them to my sister. 

This space is now set aside for pretty things! The pot doesn't belong there, and so far two pot grown plants have been replanted, the hydrangea and the pieris, so fingers are crossed that they don't sulk about being moved as they are both a bit temperamental, and the newly purchased camellia is planted on the right. We spent quite a bit of time deciding on the rest of the planting for this area and have settled on two climbing roses, nerines, cyclamen and some weed suppressing ground cover, possibly periwinkle. This means I will be visiting the garden centres again, but I'm not complaining about that!

The blue/yellow sack is filled with gravel, some of which is destined for the front garden and the rest will be bagged up for now. That's my job for next week. This is where I plan to sit and dream. The bench will move back against the garage wall as soon as there is enough space for the table and chairs to be stored in the garage - at the moment they are behind the bench.


There are lots of alliums and gladioli in the centre bed (above), and eventually the sweet peas will be winding themselves around the obelisk.

The photo below looks back to the house to show where the majority of the pots will be. This was taken just before lunchtime and from about 12:30pm this area is in full sun for the entire afternoon and early evening and this is where the veggies will be, all pot grown. The two pots in front of the trellis contain the blueberries, one has the usual blue fruit and the other one has pink fruit and there will also be two pot grown patio fruit trees. I decided against the mini greenhouse and am going with Joy's suggestion so I've ordered a tiered trolley and will keep the seedlings and tender plants indoors as advised.

The other pots will be moved around but before that happens the patio needs to be power washed. M will be tackling that as well as the grouting during May. 


The green waste is in the wheelie bin for a kerbside collection but there was a huge pile of clay soil to go (removed and replaced with decent topsoil in the flower beds), which M has taken and so saved me a trip to the skip. I also cleared some unwanted gardening items out of the garage and she has also taken those to gift to the Mencap home where she works so that's the garage decluttering started!

To finish, a couple of random photos ... tulips in the sun, and a water droplet in the centre of a lupin leaf.

Comments

  1. M sounds a real treasure and the photos are gorgeous. What a shame about the fruit trees though. I loved the sound of a mini orchard.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M is wonderful! I'm not too disappointed with the loss of my mini orchard as I can still have the patio trees so I will get some homegrown fruit, fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. M certainly does sound a treasure. It won't be long before you are sitting out on your bench and you will be rewarded for all the planning and hard work. Your tulips look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get on really well with her and she definitely knows her stuff. All the hard work is down to M ... my involvement is shopping and watering!

      Delete
  3. The garden seems to be coming along nicely! I really liked the first photo, with the flowers and vines. You got a lot done with M's help! I'm sorry the fruit trees didn't work out as planned, but, I'm sure your sister was happy to receive the trees and maybe she'll share some of the fruits with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all down to M. She works so hard all the time she is here. I will still have some fruit trees ... there are two on order which will be grown in pots. If they do well I will add another two next year. I'll have to fight all of the grandchildren to get a share of the fruit (they'll win 😊) but will hopefully get some of the hazelnuts.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is going to be gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irune. The next lot of plants are mostly pinks and purples, and one of the roses will be a deep red.

      Delete
  5. Oh, how lovely! Y'all are managing to fit so much in the space without it looking crowded. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There are a lot, and I mean a lot, more pots to go out so it will start to fill out on the patio ... that's the effect I'm aiming for ☺️

      Delete
  6. Hi Eileen,
    Your floral space is very attractive and your flowers are beautiful.
    I'm imagining you sitting in the chair reading or listening a music!
    This space to relax is very good.
    I liked to see.
    I wish you a good weekend.
    Hugs
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. It's most likely to be where I read or just daydream rather than listen to music, although now I've started to enjoy audiobooks I may listen to a book while I'm in the garden.

      I hope you have a good weekend too xx

      Delete
  7. I just love pots too and yours look beautiful. I'll probably be growing the small amount of veg I am planning in pots this year so I can move them around into the sun. I'll be interested to read if you have any tips for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much a novice gardener but if M mentions anything I will pass the advice on to you.

      My veggie and fruit will be in full sun for most of the day so I won't need to be moving mine, thankfully.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts