Thursday 30th September

I received some awful news. I already knew that my friend H was suffering from Covid but yesterday I heard that her condition has deteriorated and she has been admitted to hospital. She's in a general ward, not ICU. To temper that with news of my sister - she is continuing to recover and is doing well.

Yesterday's piano lesson was great and I'm pleased with how it's going. We chatted about what to work on during October and have decided to complete the remaining pieces in the current book and then start looking at exam music. At the time of writing this I have little interest in actually taking piano exams but agree that learning the pieces, scales, and technical exercises for each grade is a good framework for learning, so am happy with her proposal. C didn't specify the grade but I will ask to start at grade 1 as I want to know that I have covered all of the specifics for each grade and I'm sure there are going to be huge gaps in my learning to date.

in the style class we continued with face shapes and the best glasses shapes for each one - there's a diagram on this website which covers the advice we were given. We then moved on to measurements and how to take them. She reminded us that there is no industry standard for clothes sizing so to get the best results when shopping online make sure you know your own measurements and check them against the website's size charts ... it's entirely possible that you will be a different size on every website, so always check. Next week we will be learning about colour analysis - I already know that I am a 'winter' but will still be interested to hear what she has to say on the subject.

On to today and I'm seeing my doctor later this morning. I've made a list of things I want to discuss to make sure I don't forget anything while I have the bonus of a face to face consultation. He'll be glad to see the back of me!

There's no Indian Cookery class today so I will spend that hour checking the new timetable and reorganising my diary. There's a complete change around from Monday and a lot of the classes will run at different times. I've had a quick look and I will be able to continue with all my classes but I need to update my diary and rearrange a couple of other diary dates to accommodate the changes. It's a bit of a nuisance but it will be much better in the long term. Wednesdays will be a rush for the next six weeks until the style classes finish but from then I will have Mondays and Tuesday completely free, Wednesday and Friday the classes will be completed by 12pm so I will be free in the afternoons, and the same on Thursdays but free from 2pm. Also, the changes mean that I will now be able to see the remaining two classes on antiques with Paul Martin which I'm very pleased about. 

We're promised another day of rain so I think a few hours devoted to family tree research will be a perfect way to keep myself occupied.

Comments

  1. I am so sorry to learn your friend has been admitted to hospital with Covid, I hope she makes a full recovery. I'm happy that your sister is recovering well. I'll check out that website although I know what shape suits my face the best after wearing glasses since a young age. I have to say I dislike my new glasses as I was wearing a face mask when they were handed to me to try on, the circumstances with Covid restrictions in place were far from ideal. I hope your appointment with the doctor goes well for you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen.

      I had the same problem with my new glasses. It was difficult to choose when wearing a mask and they don't suit me as well as I'd like. I thought a lot of the glasses looked odd for the face shapes on that link and the ones that are recommended for my face shaped don't suit me at all. I'll be ignoring that bit of advice and sticking to what I know suits me.

      Delete
  2. Sending lots of positive healing vibes for your friend H & prayer that her bout with COVID remains a precaution to have her in hospital. Glad your sister continues to recover at home. All this reminds us that COVID is still about. Thanks for the glasses/face shape link. I had an appt. to get new glasses but I cancelled because at the best of times choosing is difficult, throw in a double mask, well forget it for now :)
    Hopefully your schedule & the online courses work together. I'm excited as a new online course starts for me today - "Truth & Reconciliation Through Understanding" (today is National Truth & Reconciliation Day)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou.

      Re your glasses, one of the UK chain of opticians have software where they use an image of your face and you can see your chosen frames on yourself. Do you have anything like that available to you?

      The revised timetable for the online classes will be much better once I get used to the new times. Good luck with your course, it sounds interesting.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear. Sorry to hear that H has had to be hospitalised. Let's hope that she will respond to the extra care and be well enough to be discharged soonest. Glad sister "got away with it". Doesn't it feel like some sort of diabolical lottery?

    I was told at my eye test last year that I needed a new prescription but I hate choosing new frames at the best of times, and just want to be left it peace with it, so having to do so during COVID was most unappealing. Aside from the mask issue, you had to have a member of staff with you at all times, and everything you picked up had to be put straight into a bin for sanitising. Given that I probably dart between about 15 pairs before narrowing it down to maybe three, and then faff endlessly before settling on one, it felt like too much of an ordeal. It would have been better if they had just given you some wipes to clean everything before and after trying. They could still have had a member of staff on hand to supervise. So I have been muddling on with my current pair but I must admit that both TV and close work is becoming fuzzy. (Luckily I don't need them for driving.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a relief to hear that you are okay for driving! I was limited to trying 6 pairs when I got my last specs and could only try each pair once and then put it in a bin to be disinfected. A bit OTT really as it wouldn't have mattered how many times I touched the selection of 6 but no, only one try each!

      There's no change in H's condition which I'm taking as good news - it's better than hearing she's worse. My sister said much the same thing. We're both wondering whether the initial period of shielding and being extra cautious about being with others has put us behind in some way, in terms of a level of immunity.

      Delete
  4. I hope that your friend makes a good recovery. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Eileen. I'm very sorry for your friend,I hope her situation with Covid improves soon. I'm sure it's a relief that your sister is improving. My brother got a severe breakthrough case that laid him down for over a month, even though fully vaccinated. He's just now recovered. I looked at the glasses website, and for me I agree with the style they recommend! I had to get new glasses last winter, and ended up selecting the wrong style as the mask threw me off. Oh well! Best, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister is thankfully continuing to improve but I haven't heard any more about how my friend is getting on. I hope your brother continues to stay well.

      I think a lot a people have had problems with face masks when choosing new glasses. It's surprising how much the mask alters out perceptions.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear your friend H had to be hospitalized, but, hopefully, her condition will improve and she'll make a complete recovery. Glad to hear that your sister is recovering well.

    Sounds like you are making good progress with the piano lessons. :) And it sounds like you are fine with the schedule changes, too, with most of the classes in the mornings and afternoons free for other things.

    I hope your appointment with the doctor goes well. I hope the doctor will be able to answer all your questions and the blood test results will be good. Enjoy the rest of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how H is doing - her Mum phones me but seems to be confused about how H is doing. I'm so relieved that my sister is doing well, thanks Bless.

      The piano lessons are fun and I've been lucky in my choice of teachers. The new schedule will work well for me I think, although every other Friday will clash with M's visit and I may need to miss part of the class depending on what M will be doing but nothing too major to worry about.

      I think you've already seen my results from the doctor's appointment - it went well and I'm very pleased with the outcome of the consultation.

      Delete
  7. I'm extremely sorry to read that H is so unwell and really hope she is starting to recover in hospital. Good news about your sister though.
    I really MUST take an hour or so to look through that site you told me about and book in some courses, especially as the days get colder and less pleasant.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I will try to contact H's brother to see how she is doing as their Mum is a bit confused about what's happening. My sister is doing well which is great news.

      Definitely have a look at the site. They offer so many choices and there is no obligation to book courses - you just join the session at the time, so it can be as flexible as you want it to be.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts