Saturday 13th August

225/365: fuchsia


It's becoming repetitive with the hot dry days sapping my energy resulting in me doing very little. It looks like today will be the same with temperatures reaching 33°c ... I'm not looking forward to it!

Yesterday's Zoom session was a riot and I haven't laughed so much in ages, all down to PW. He hasn't joined in for the last year or so and spent most of the session recounting his adventures ... he's the sort of person that things just happen to and he gets himself into all sorts of scrapes but somehow comes out the other side smiling and (usually) unhurt. He's probably the most intelligent of all of us but he has absolutely no common sense and is way too trusting for his own good, which is why he is currently without transport as he apparently loaned his car to a complete stranger and of course has never seen it again! I think he'd drive me mad if I saw him on a daily basis but he's an excellent story teller and it's impossible to get annoyed with him.

M called in for a flying visit last night. She took four of my coloured pots last time she was here and has potted up some red geranium cuttings for me. These are for the side bed behind the garage where the red rose is and the idea is to add some much needed colour to a flower bed that's a bit lacking on the colour front. These are just to give me an idea of what it could that area could look like, adding colour from both the pots and the geraniums and moving them around to fill gaps as necessary. I like the idea so far.

I think I've sorted out the gas and electric contract but haven't finalised it yet. I'm following the advice on Martin Lewis' website, Money Saving Expert, but am waiting for his end of August update before I sign on the dotted line. I doubt it will change but, ever the optimist, I will wait to read his advice. I've also tweaked my budget in anticipation of price increases. I know we're all in the same boat and that compared to many I am very fortunate as I will be able to manage without getting myself into debt, but I will need to reassess some of my plans for next year and I'll have to accept that it's going to take me longer to save up for things. Sigh!

The highlight of today will be choosing a new book to read ... I love that little bubble of excitement I get when I turn to the first page and start reading!

Comments

  1. Don't worry about doing very little in this heat, it's best to relax and keep cool and hydrated. Your Zoom session sounds good, it's nice to know a character and good storyteller. I've heard of losing your car not knowing where you left it but never losing it to a complete stranger. I must go and check out Martin Lewis's advice, I'm getting worried about the bills this winter, it's going to be a disaster for some people and we don't know how the government are going to help us and they must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Zoom session was good fun and we've arranged another one for next month. PW has a lifetime full of the things that have happened to him, mostly due to his trusting nature and ... there's no other way of describing it ... his own stupidity. I don't know anyone else who'd hand their car keys over to a stranger but can easily believe that PW would!

      I find that the Martin Lewis website always gives clear advice. I agree that the government has to do something but there's no sign of any action on their part yet. I'm anxious about the winter bills as well. xx

      Delete
  2. Your garden is amazing! I love the fuchsia as well - so pretty.

    I'm also looking at how to cut costs. It's very worrying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyssa. The prices of everything is worrying and the constant warnings that the situation is going to get worse doesn't bear thinking about. Martin Lewis has lots of good ideas on his website for cutting costs.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flowers!
    I think you should definitely take it easy during this heat wave! 33C is hot! Almost as hot as our temperature, here! Glad you had a fun Zoom meeting with your friends. I can't imagine anyone would voluntarily hand over the keys to their car to a stranger! I hope you are able to figure out the gas and electricity contracts. We just have one provider depending on your area of residence and you sign on with them when you occupy a residence and terminate your contract if and when you move. The prices go up and there's nothing much one can do about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless, these fuchsias are one of the varieties in the hanging basket.

      If you met PW you'd soon realise how it could happen. He never learns!

      I have sorted it the best option for me. Obviously it's not going to be cheap but it's one of the few that will keep me below the price cap on a fixed rate with no huge cancellation fees if I need to change before the end of the contract. I'm surprised you have no choice in provider but I suppose that does make if easier in a way.

      Delete
  4. You are not on your own I will not be doing a lot either. Plans for this afternoon are making a card and writing a letter to go with it for a member of the family who has just returned home after a hip replacement. I may also start watching a series from Amazon that has 6 series or read my book. Curtains closed, windows on snib and a jug of elderflower cordial chilling in the fridge for hydration. The ironing can wait for next week when it is supposed to be cooler. It is a shame we can't bottle this heat for the winter, these bills are shocking already, the winter for many will be so very hard. Enjoy your book and stay cool! Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elderflower cordial ... just perfect! I don't do ironing if I can help it so at least I don't have that problem. 😏

      I do hope we get the rain that's promised next week - Monday and Tuesday in this area - and yes, it'd be great to be able to bottle the heat for the winter. There are so many families that can't even afford to feed themselves already so I have no idea how they are going to be able to manage.

      Take care and enjoy your card making. xx

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a laugh on the Zoom. The heat does take it out of you, doesn't it? It always does me. It sounds nice until you put up with it for days on end and there is no relief. It just seems to suck the energy right out of me. We are enjoying a lovely cool day here in Michigan - wish it wasn't raining though! It was nice just to be able to open the windows and have a sheet over me while I slept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the heat really draining and have absolutely no energy at all . I wish we had your Michigan weather right now .... but not the winter snows of course!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts