Reasons to be Cheerful in August 2019

I had every reason to be cheerful in August as I chose to have a month long staycation, just pleasing myself and doing whatever I fancied!

*****

An entire month of joyful activities:
  1. An afternoon spent in the garden; reading, enjoying a jug of ice cold juice, pottering around deadheading and disposing of weeds where necessary.
  2. Meeting J for coffee and a long chat.
  3. Watching the first six episodes of series 1 of Friends.
  4. An early morning walk around Southwick Country Park ... even with the recurring pain in my knees it was refreshing to be outside
  5. An afternoon in the kitchen trying out a new to me recipe.
  6. Girl's Night In with J, L and A
  7. Meeting S for coffee
  8. A walk in the rain along the canal towpath
  9. Watching the BBC Proms and listening to the Warner Brothers film scores played by the John Wilson Orchestra.
  10. An afternoon spent baking, and looking for new to me vegetarian recipes
  11. A long phone call with an ex colleague I haven't seen for years
  12. Playing my flute
  13. A short walk around the marina
  14. Meeting S for coffee 
  15. Decorating gingerbread men 
  16. Lunch at J's home
  17. Playing my flute and clarinet with friends at a wedding reception
  18. A visit from my nephew and his family
  19. A day spent relaxing with a good book
  20. Skyping with friends to arrange a holiday together
  21. Meeting S for coffee
  22. A visit from L
  23. A walk along the canal towpath
  24. Sitting out on the patio in the dark after being in bed all day with a bad migraine, and enjoying the cool air.
  25. Listening to Sheku Kanneh-Mason perform Elgar's Cello Concerto (BBC Proms)
  26. Writing a letter to my penfriend using my favourite fountain pen
  27. A visit from M and the girls to collect their newly name tagged school uniforms
  28. Meeting S for coffee
  29. Indulging in a relaxing bubble bath 
  30. Playing the piano
  31. Looking through old photographs
*****

Listening to the first Harry Potter audio book, read by Stephen Fry. 

*****

The wonderful news that Julie's eldest daughter, Rheanna, is expecting her first baby in February. The first I knew of it was a message addressed to 'Aunty Eileen' with a copy of the scan image.


*****

A gift of 24 books from my sister. There's lots of good ones this time so I've sorted through the bookcase and send a pile of books to the charity shop to make room for the new ones.


*****


Finishing the back garden! It's now easy to maintain and keep it tidy. It also rained so  much I didn't have to water it! I just have the front garden to do now but that's tiny so won't take long to do.


*****


The final performance of our quartet at the wedding reception of a friend's daughter. This was probably the last time for playing flute and clarinet in public, so mixed emotions but I can look back with a smile and have good memories of what we achieved together.



*****


An afternoon with my nephew and his family. They brought the girls' new uniforms round for me to attach the name labels but stayed for a couple of hours. I love them all dearly and don't often get to see the four of them together so this was a real treat.



*****


Receiving a beautiful bunch of yellow roses and a box of Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts as a thank you for sewing the name tags on the uniforms. I always tell them that I don't want anything for doing it but I appreciate the gift.


*****


Getting to know S, a fellow adult band member. We've been meeting for coffee each week and it's lovely to get to know him outside of band.


*****


Skyping with friends to arrange a holiday together. I'm being realistic when I say that I'll be surprised if the holiday actually happens but we're now back in contact and that in itself is a reason to be cheerful.


*****

today's photo ... yet another rose!

Comments

  1. What a wonderfully happy post. You've achieved so much this month, one way and another.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to look back over the month because, if I'd been asked, my gut reaction would have been that I hadn't done much. This proves me wrong!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful month for you in August - wishing you the same for September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. September will be a bit manic but it will be fun!

      Delete
  3. This is such a lovely post! At least one joyful activity per day! Wonderful! Lots to be cheerful about during the month, even with the migraines and the rain and the occasional blah day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to look back, and seeing all of this keeps me positive. x

      Delete
  4. Excellent. Hope this month carries on in the same vein.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aril. There's plenty in the diary so it should be another good month. x

      Delete
  5. You have certainly enjoyed August.Loved reading about it.I am sure September will be even better.Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, I'm hoping September will be fun x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts