Friday 27th May

147/365: just beautiful!
 

Yesterday ended up being a wasted day in terms of what I had planned. I had to wait in for a parcel in the morning, which didn't arrive, and at noon received a notification saying there was a 'problem' and would be delivered in the afternoon instead. It finally arrived some time after 4:30 pm, by which time I'd given up the idea of shopping and batch cooking so that's a task for next week now. At least the parcel arrived so I had the pleasure of unpacking the hanging baskets and setting them out in the garden. 

M will be here later this morning to plant out the new fuchsia 'Dollar Princess' and the lofos plants, and just generally tidy up where necessary. The garden has really filled out since the last time she was here and, with the hanging baskets in place and four of the roses flowering, she should definitely see a difference.

I'm hoping to catch up with neighbour S either tonight or over the weekend. Hopefully he'll have some idea when he will be able to sort out the pergola structure for the new planters and how much it'll cost for materials - he's not charging me for his time and expertise. I'm not in a hurry to get them done so am not pressing him for a completion date or anything like that but there will be a cost for the extra wood etc. and I want to make sure I ring-fence the money. I spoke to T, his wife, and we've agreed to share the cost of the green waste collection for the next year which reduces the cost for me to £30 instead of £60. I was debating whether to continue with the collection because of the increased price when I don't actually have that much garden waste, but sharing the cost with them is a good compromise. 

It's supposed to be a lovely sunny day today so I'll be out and about with my camera this afternoon, and then a quiet evening at home to finish off the day.

Comments

  1. Sharing the cost is an extremely good idea - we don't have to pay extra here but, if we did, I'd be approaching Chris and Steve with that suggestion.
    The rose is just stunning. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's too pricey but the alternative is to take garden waste to the recycling yard for disposal every time and that becomes a chore and takes up too much time. Sharing is a good idea - my neighbours suggested it and I am happy with the solution. I can't see any way it won't work out.

      I love this rose, it's beautiful!

      Delete
  2. I think the cost of collecting garden waste is far to high, as they turn the waste into compost and then sell it, it's not as if we can decide to not have garden waste. I got my lovely composter, it will take 2 years to recoup the purchase cost, but well worth it as I got lovely compost for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider a composter but don't really have the room for it. The cost of the waste collection is way too high but at least I can now share the cost with my neighbours and continue to have the convenience of the kerbside collection.

      Delete
  3. What a handsome rose. I am glad you are getting your fuchsia, I am going to try and take some cuttings later in the year, I have managed it once and now have a new fuchsia by the side of the shed so 4 now. That is expensive for garden waste, what a good idea to share. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have four hardy fuchsias now as well as a hanging basket filled with 5 annual varieties ... I like fuchsias!

      It is expensive and sharing the cost makes it more affordable. I like the convenience of the kerbside collection, so am happy to have found a workable solution with my neighbours.

      Delete
  4. What a stunning rose photo - it looks like it has two blooms unfolding within it self - gorgeous colour. What a great solution to your yard waste "problem". Because of higher fuel costs everything is affected & rising in cost. I am thankful that our council finally put in place monthly yard waste pick up March to November & at no additional charge. We also have green bin compost weekly pick up, but that is for household scraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, isn't it ... just beautiful!

      The household waste bin and recycling bin are emptied via kerbside collection as part of our council tax but that no longer covers garden waste so we have to pay extra for that now. They don't specifically collect household scraps which a lot of people are complaining about.

      Delete
  5. Your neighbour, S, sounds wonderful. I hope it isn't as windy there as it is here - it's very blowy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is! It was windy for part of Thursday but hasn't been too bad today.

      Delete
  6. Lovely, lovely rose! It looks like a double rose! Sorry about having to wait in most of the day, yesterday, but, glad you received the hanging baskets! M will no doubt be pleased to see the garden, today. :) That's great that you can share the cost of the yard waste pick up with your neighbors. I have one solid waste pick up fee and it includes weekly pick up of trash/garbage, recyclables, and yard waste (three different bins). It is part of the utilities bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful and I love it! At least the hanging baskets arrived in the end.

      M was really pleased with how the garden has come on and we are ready to start on the next stage. We pay for the household waste and recycling (cardboard, certain plastics, paper and glass) in our council tax payments. That used to include the garden waste but a few years ago the council starting charging for it to be collected. It's expensive for what it is so I am pleased to be sharing the cost this year.

      Delete
  7. Good idea on sharing the cost. Sorry that you had to wait in for the package but glad the baskets arrived. They will make a lovely addition to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really pleased when they suggested it ... it makes it more affordable and I can continue to have the convenience of a kerbside collection. The baskets do add to the overall effect and will look good once they've grown a bit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts