Tuesday 31st May

151/365: the garden on an overcast day
 

I had a productive day yesterday. The shoe storage has been sorted out in the under stairs cupboard so that's been ticked off the list and I cooked 6 portions of chicken soup and 7 portions of turkey bolognese for the freezer. I also made a start on the housework and blitzed the en-suite from top to bottom, and caught up with some admin. 

My BiL collected the pots which prompted a telephone conversation with my sister as she was only expecting one pot and I sent three! That's the last of the pots swapping, which means that, after another game of musical pots, I will now have room on the patio for the table and chairs. After he'd left I went to the nearest garden centre and ... this may disappoint some of you, but I didn't buy anything. See. I can do it! I was looking to see what was available locally but nothing stood out ... it was more that they had the plants I wanted though not the specific varieties. I'll probably look around the other two garden centres today but I think it's more likely to be online ordering again.

Today is hopefully going to be another productive day. I'll carry on with the housework and will be tackling my bedroom today, which also means at least one load of washing as I'll change the bedding. Today's batch cooking is a veggie chilli and a chicken casserole, and I also need to mix up some more of my favourite spice mixes. Today's task to address one of the things I've been tolerating is to sort out all the keys; I have loads, some of which I recognise and a lot that I don't. The plan is to identify the ones I need, label them and decide where and how to store them, and dispose of the ones that are not needed. As part of sorting out the keys I also need to determine which battery I need for my car key and then replace it without fail - I'm using the spare key at the moment and am annoyed with myself for not sorting out something that it so easy to do! 

Comments

  1. Your garden looks great with all those purple flowers! You really did have a productive day, yesterday! Glad you were able to stick to your decision to only look and not buy at the garden center! :D
    I hope you have a lovely day, Eileen, and accomplish all what you've planned to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very purple at the moment. It should change over the next few weeks with a lot more pinks and some reds, which will change the feel of it.

      Thanks Bless and hope you have a lovely day too.

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks lovely, it's great once all the hard work is done, hope you can sit outside and enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll hold my hands up and say I don't do any of the hard work but I am looking forward to some warmer days so I can sit outside and enjoy all of it.

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks lovely with all those purple flowers. Sorting lots of keys sounds quite the challenge but you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Eileen. Sorting the keys is taking longer than I thought it would ... I keep taking breaks because it's a bit boring!

      Delete
  4. Your patio & pots look full & lush. Like you, I so enjoy that feeling at the end of a productive day. Keys, oh yes, that also needs sorting at this house; not a difficult task but one that is fiddley, checking the keys to what locks they fit. And yes there's a battery replacement needed in my toothbrush ... little piddley things that can SO annoy. And do you notice that when one battery goes flat, they all do? Happy Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pots are appreciating all the rain! The keys isn't difficult to do, just boring and I'm having to force myself to keep going. Yes, sorting out all the other batteries is on the list, especially the smoke alarms.

      Delete
  5. Glad you got your shoes sorted, another job ticked off the list. I sorted my keys and labelled them late last year and use a box to put them and store them in the one of the draws in the Welsh dresser, so they are not on display. We returned a big key to my mother-in-law for her back door, only to find out it was for the door she no longer had as she had replaced it. Just goes to show you never know which doors they keys fit. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a key box ... somewhere, and will probably use that. The main issue is finding somewhere to keep each key by the window so that I will be able to find it quickly in an emergency .... I don't leave the keys in the window locks because of safety, etc. I have three mystery keys so far and have no idea which lick they fit. I think they must have been for the old doors or maybe from my previous home.

      Delete
  6. Your garden looks so inviting - purple-ly pretty! I get your little bit a pride at having managed to visit the garden center without buying a thing. I feel that way about a craft store; although it has been a bit since I have managed it.

    I am thinking about some batch cooking later this week. Hopefully today's grocery run included everything I needed. I think so. It will be nice to get the freezer better stocked for those days when we will hopefully be too busy to cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not often I do manage to just look and not buy, so I am chuffed that I managed it this time.

      Hope you got everything you need so you can do some batch cooking. Homemade meals in the freezer make life so much easier.

      Delete
  7. To me it sounds like you are laying the foundations for awesome living and doing it well. I'm impressed at your self control in escaping the garden centre without buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyssa, that's what I'm aiming for and am gradually getting it all together.

      I didn't know I had that much self control but I managed to conjure it up from somewhere!

      Delete
  8. How beautiful. Sorry about my lack of comments, but have only just found you again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the pots in the garden. It looks so lovely and colourful. It sounds as though you've been busy cooking. How long will the meals last you? I always intend to do batch cooking but whenever I freeze stuff I seem to forget about it - sigh. It's because I'm not that organised I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Sharon. It all depends with the meals and whether I use any of them when friends come round. If it's just myself, one batch cooked recipe yields 6 portions, so that's 6 weeks for that recipe. I don't necessarily want the same thing every week so each set of portions could be in the freezer for anything up to 2 or 3 months.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts