Tuesday 3rd May

123/365: nemesia

Yesterday morning S texted to ask if he could come round and sort out the recycling stuff instead of doing it today as planned, so that's now all done and dusted. He also moved everything to its proper place and then we stood back to admire the finished result .... and decided it needs to be changed around to make better use of the space, but that's a job for Thursday or Friday! When I say it's finished I mean the clearing and reorganisation stage. I still have stuff to sell but not too much, and it is now organised so I know where everything is. All the rubbish has gone and there's space to work without having to climb over things. 

While we were chatting I mentioned that I plan to use the workbench (once it's moved to it's new position) as a place to photograph the items I still have to sell and that, if that arrangement works well, it will be a good place to try out some still life photography. So, he's offered to sort out the lighting for me, put up some extra shelves and do whatever is necessary to make the up and over garage door more secure. He is such a generous man and I'm lucky to have his friendship. 

So today is now completely free. The forecast is for some rain this afternoon so I'm going out this morning to get some fresh air. I want to visit the three local garden centres to look for climbers for the trellis planters ... I'll take enough cash for a coffee but will definitely be leaving my purse and bank card at home! I'm not ready to buy yet and I'd prefer to talk my choices through with M first. She texted me last night to suggest one of the smaller honeysuckles, which I initially thought was way too big but I now think may work when taking into account S' suggestion to stabilise the trellis planters ... I can't explain it very well but basically he'll connect the three planters and create a pergola type arch from the patio over to the garage to brace the planters, so similar to the metal arches I was originally going to have but constructed from wood instead. I'm hoping to order the planters this week but the rest of the construction will have to wait until I can afford the additional wood. 

If it turns out to be dry this afternoon I may go visiting friends but if the forecast is correct I'd prefer to stay at home in the warm and spent my time alternating between reading and piano practice. 

Comments

  1. Loving the "new look" blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. S really is a treasure, what a kind and generous man he is. I know it's expensive but a couple of years ago we had an electric garage door fitted about £900 if I remember rightly and I feel the house is much more secure now as the garage leads into the house. I hated the up and over door as the cord snapped a couple of times. Enjoy your coffee at the garden centre, good plan to leave your card and cash at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garage is detached from the house so I don't have quite the same concerns. I did consider an electric door but decided it's too expensive for something that I won't use that often. I park on the drive in front of the garage so the garage door is usually only raised to move the garden furniture in and out, and the same for the seasonal pots, so maybe six times a year at most.

      It was a bit colder than I like but I did enjoy the walk around the garden centres this morning. I didn't see anything that really grabbed my interest for the trellis planters but there's plenty of time to make a decision. I may try to three bigger garden centres next, which'll give the car a good run out at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Not sure I know what an up & over garage door is ... is it a garage door on a roll that can be pulled/rolled up & out of the way? I'm very excited about the trellis project. Neighbour S is a treasure & we must figure out a way to clone him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but mine isn't one of the ones that rolls. There's a diagram of an up and over garage door like mine on this page: https://www.apexgaragedoors.co.uk/up-and-over-doors/

      He is a real treasure and I know how lucky I am to have his help.

      Delete
  4. An "up and over" garage door is what I currently have. I have to manually open and close it - I had an electric garage door opener fixed so that you can press a button fixed to the inside of the garage wall or the remote control to automatically open and close the garage door, but, the mechanism broke and the handyman from the temple couldn't fix it. A new garage door opener is something I want to put in, but, they do cost a bit and I have to find someone to install it for me! That is always my problem - finding reliable, trustworthy people to do the work!
    I'm so glad your neighbor S is able to help you with all the various projects you have planned. I agree with Mary-Lou - we need to find a way to clone him! :D
    Hope you are enjoying the rest of your day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually open the garage door but S did it this morning and says it needs sorting out so he's added it to his list of things to do!

      I've had the same problem getting reliable tradesmen to do the work for me so S' help has been amazing and gratefully received.

      I'm looking forward to the rest of the day, thanks Bless

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts