A Shock, Sad New, Good News, and a Bit of an Oops!

there's a pair of swans nesting at the marina ... this is the male

Let's start with the shock ... I went for a walk over to the marina late yesterday afternoon but had to cut in short because, for the first time ever, it didn't feel safe to be there. All because of one man, drunk and possibly high, making a nuisance of himself. He started trying to put his arm around two young girls, both primary school age, but they were with their mum and she sent him packing so he headed towards the stone bridge and towards a young teenage girl who was on her own. He started talking to her and she looked scared stiff so we called out to her to come and stand with us and he headed off along the canal. I offered her a lift home but she insisted she'd be fine now that he had gone so she set off on her own and I carried on talking to the mother. The next thing we saw was the teenage girl running back towards us with the man close behind her. He stopped when he saw us. She said he hadn't touched her, just scared her, but she agreed to a lift home. I explained what had happened to her parents and left my contact details with them in case they wanted to report the incidence to the police, which they must have done because the police contacted me for a statement last night. According to them the man is harmless and "just makes a nuisance of himself when he's had too much to drink" but the way he was trying to speak to the children but not the adults was unsettling. 

The sad news has been expected for a while ... my friend, JDH, contacted me to say that her mum has passed away. She was nearly 87 years old and had been in poor health for a long time. 

The good news is that Amy, my personal trainer, gave birth to a healthy baby boy last week. Mum and baby are both doing well.

The 'oops' was all my fault. After the marina incidence I went home, had a shower and changed into my nightclothes before making myself something to eat. I'd just finished eating when I had a text from J asking if I was okay so I phoned her back, only to be reminded that we'd arranged to go out for a meal and I was half an hour late getting to her house! It was clearly written in my diary so I don't know how I missed it, but miss it I did! She has forgiven me and we had a good laugh about it as it's usually J who forgets, not me, and we've rescheduled for two weeks time when she gets home from her holiday. 

Today there's only one thing in the diary ... I checked! ... and that's the book group meal, celebrating the birthdays of three of the group members. I can't remember where we are going but fortunately I'm collecting E on the way and she will know!

Comments

  1. That makes me very angry indeed. If you felt unsafe, children were approached and touched and that teenager was obviously very frightened and, possibly, traumatised, then he is not 'harmless', he has caused damage. Not physical damage, sure, but that's not the only kind of damage. Yes, the police reaction was really very bad. It should have been taken a lot more seriously. It was not 'harmless'.

    I am very sorry to read about your friends mum. Expected or not, it is still terribly sad.

    And oops indeed although, after such a day, small wonder.
    Have a lovely day today. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I miss saying many congratulations to Amy and family. Wonderful news. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm shocked by the police response that the man is harmless and just making a nuisance of himself, one can only hope he remains harmless! I'm glad the girl's parents reported the incident to the police and well done for taking her home and speaking to them.
    Sorry to learn our friend's Mum has passed away. Lovely news that Amy has had a healthy baby boy and Mum and baby are doing well.
    I think you can be excused missing the meal after the day you'd had. Have a good day out today xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Eileen that should read your friend not ours, my oops :)

      Delete
  3. It's all well and nice for the police to say that the man was harmless, but, it's not so nice if he is trying to put his arm around young children and bothering young girls. Maybe the police can't really do anything like lock him up, but, even so! I'm glad you were there to give a lift home to the teenaged girl.

    Sorry to hear about your friend's mother passing.
    But, congratulations to Amy on the birth of her son.
    One life leaves this world and another enters.

    I'm not surprised that you forgot about the planned dinner with J after such an eventful day! Glad she understood. :)

    Hope you have a good day, today. Enjoy the book group birthday meal!

    I'm glad that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very surprised at the police attitude to this pest of a man. Children and young girls should be free to be outside without someone hassling them. The young girl will have had her confidence and trust damaged which is not harmless and is certainly not fair. Well done Eileen for helping her. Sorry to hear of your friends mum but 87 is a good age.
    Good news that Amy has had her baby, congrats to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that was quite a day! I am so glad that you were there to give aid & protection to the young children & young teenager. It can be a very scary situation for all to be in, no wonder you forgot about lunch out with your friend. Congratulations to Amy & her family & condolences for your friend's loss, never easy to loose your Mum.

    I am sure the police will keep an eye on this particular man, but why the free ride of "oh well" as we all know things can escalate quickly. In this world it seems like the guys are always getting a break & we women must pay for that, with loss of trust, confidence & all too often with our very beings. Given all the recent press about the "bad apples" in the police force, the crack down (coming) on grooming gangs, you would think the local police would be a little more in tune. Maybe they need a sensitivity class or two! (ok off the rant now).

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all sounds very dodgy to me, and not something to be taken lightly. Why do we always have to wait for the worst to happen before these things are addressed? If the teenager was running back towards you and he was on her heels, he had obviously turned around in order to follow her. What for? To ask the time? What if she had fallen and hurt herself, or gone into the canal? What if there had been no-one else around and she had found herself alone with him, clearly intimidating her? The police's primary concern should be with ensuring that the area is safe for people to walk; if he has not crossed a line to warrant arrest, surely a warning would be appropriate, and maybe a presence on the towpath for a few weeks wouldn't go amiss either. It might only move him elsewhere but at least in town/on the streets there are more people around and space to give him a wide berth. Grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a day of ups and downs. So glad that you approached the girl and offered her a lift home and to help her. Who knows what would have happened if you just went about your day and ignored the behaviour. Angry that the police's response was that he was harmless. Even something like the girl experienced could have a lasting effect on her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts