The April Garden

The April gardening is waking up and there's lots of promise for a colourful May. 


The bulbs have been doing a sterling job providing splashes of colour and as we near the end of the month, it's the turn of the tulips with the tubs of red and of white in the photo above and the pinky/lilac ones in the photo below. The alliums will be flowering soon and there's another tub of red mini tulips in bud. 

The roses are all doing well and three of them have buds, and all three of the clematis are also get ready to flower. 



It looks like I've lost the potato vine (in the corner of the trellis above) so if it doesn't show any life in the next month I will replace it with another climbing rose. The jasmine (the climber in the photo above) however, did survive our cold winter and is starting to pick up ... it's still looking a bit sorry for itself but there is new growth and I'm hopefully that it will do well.

The hibiscus (bottom left of the photo below) is still holding on and has started to produce leaf buds already, which is much earlier than usual. The pomegranate just behind it is showing no signs of life and I'm not holding out much hope for it really, but it's being left where it is for now to see what happens. The same applies to the three fuchsias in pots ... wait and see, but I'll replace them if necessary.


The last time she was here M planted a load of crocosmia lucifer (red) and crocosmia George Davison (yellow). There's more red ones than yellow but I fancied having some bright splashes of yellow dotted about the garden during the summer. I've spoken to S about the pergola and am waiting for him to speak to R and then get back to me, but I am expecting it to be done sooner rather than later so, together with M, am starting to think about what I'd like in the planters. We've already decided that the hanging baskets will be filled with fuchsias and there's also the empty pots for the summer annuals to decide on as well ... exciting times!

hibiscus 

clematis 'Doctor Ruppel'
 - this was planted at the end of last summer so I haven't seen what it's flowers are like yet, but I know they are pink!

the last lot of tulips to flower

Comments

  1. I think I have lost my two fuchsias in pots too but, like you, will just wait and see if anything comes up.
    I've just rushed out to look at my clematis after seeing yours - it's not as far on but, yes, there are tiny little buds appearing. How lovely!
    Your garden is looking so lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of my fuchsias showed signs of life until June last year so that's why we are waiting and keeping fingers crossed! I hope you're lucky with yours.

      All three of my clematis plants have plenty of buds so it's looking promising for a good display when they all open. Glad yours are almost in flower too. xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful garden. M does a fabulous job of keeping everything very tidy. Like the splashes of red tulips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks May-Lou. M is a treasure! The red tulips are gorgeous ... they were a last minute purchase but have all flowered unlike the daffs where one tub only sent up leaves but no flower stalks! xx

      Delete
  3. Your garden is looking great! I know it will look even better as the weather warms up and the summer flowers bloom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. We're still getting cold nights here. We need to get through most of May for the soil to warm up completely but there is plenty of life out there. I checked the alliums this morning and think they will be the next things to flower, adding some lilac to the colour scheme. xx

      Delete
  4. Your garden is looking good, your tulips look lovely.. My fuchsias suffered badly over the winter but I have pruned them right back and there is new growth appearing on all three and I am really pleased. I went to the garden centre yesterday but was looking for a new parasol so didn't look at the plants and decided to visit the cafe for something to eat instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I don't expect to see any signs of life from my fuchsias until the end of next month ... there's definitely nothing green making an appearance yet, just lots of bare dead looking stems. I'm not feeling too hopeful but will be happy to be proved wrong! You're ahead of me. I haven't done my first trip to the garden centre yet this year ... need to save up first and anyway, it's still a bit too early to buy the annuals. xx

      Delete
  5. So much promise, I lost a favourite plant Little lemon clematis, it's a bush not a climber, but I have another coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just googled the Little Lemon clematis ... it's very pretty and am not surprised it was one of your favourites. Glad you've been able to replace it. xx

      Delete
  6. exciting times indeed, flowers are so amazing. looks fantastic! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of promise there. I will enjoy seeing it bloom along with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts