'Something Snappy' in Warminster

Yesterday was the April meeting of my 'Something Snappy' U3A photo group and we'd arranged to meet in the Minster Church of St Denys in Warminster. I'd never been there before so arrived early and had every intention of taking photos for a post detailing the history of the church but best laid plans and all that ... the rest of the group arrived early as well, so these few photos are all I managed and are included here, just because! It's a beautiful building and contains many interesting features so I may return at some stage to photograph it properly.








Once the rest of the group arrived we made a start on finding photos for each of the ten words on the list: arch, pattern, date, high, inform, ornate, beginning with C, creature(s), musical, and multicoloured. Here's my selection ...

arch 

pattern - one of the grills in the floor

date - found on the organ

high - the arch braced ceiling

inform - one of the information boards in the church

ornate - the ironwork around the choir stalls

beginning with C - the claws on the eagle lectern

creature(s) - the Noah's Ark in the children's area


musical - one of the carvings at the top of the pillars

multicoloured - the blankets used by the congregation to keep warm

The volunteers in the church were very friendly and helped with suggestions for various things on the list. Unlike in some churches this one doesn't have a café but they did provide tea, coffee and biscuits for us which was lovely as it meant that we were able to stay in the church to share our photos instead of having to relocate to one of the cafés in town. I had a good time and I think the others did too. There was a new member this time, who slotted straight into the group. She has a ready smile and a lovely sense of humour and I'm looking forward to getting to know her. All things considered it was a very good morning.

Comments

  1. Beautiful photos and well done on finding photos for all the prompts! I really like that arch braced ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. The church was such a good source for items to photography. You'd think that we'd all end up with very similar photos but that wasn't the case and plenty of bonus points were awarded to the people who managed to find unique photos. The ceiling was amazing! xx

      Delete
  2. I'm loving the sound of your group. Such a good idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I started the group ... it's great fun xx

      Delete
  3. Gosh, I lived in Warminster for 5 years, I knew it was there but never visited. Lovely pics, and I love the name of your group xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. It's only about a 15 minute walk from where you used to live ... maybe a case of not 'seeing' what's on your doorstep? I can't claim credit for the name of the group ... I pinched it from something I'd seen on another blog. I think it was Sue in Suffolk's blog but I may have that wrong. xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds wonderful fun, I wish I lived closer to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great fun and a shame you aren't able to join us. xx

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful church for your group's meeting and wonderful photos. I particularly like your photo of the eagle's claws on the lectern xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful place and is much bigger than I was expecting. It was a good choice of venue as it turns out that four of us are especially interested in church architecture so I'm sure we'll be visiting other churches in the future.

      I'm glad you liked the eagle's claws ... I was pleased with that one 😊xx

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good group. Hope it continues well. Love your photos btw. How lovely that the volunteers helped with suggestions, it reinforces my belief that there are many good people around, it's just the awful ones that the media focus on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice group of people and the group is gradually growing and more people take an interest. The volunteers were lovely and I agree with your belief that there are many good people around ... sadly the media feeds on negativity and untruths. xx

      Delete
  7. What a magnificent church building. I would like to attend a service there & hear the choir as I would think the acoustics would be something else. Catchy name for your group. All your photos are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too think the acoustics would be amazing but the fact that they keep a supply of blankets for the use of the congregation makes me think that it may be too cold in there to enjoy the service!

      I pinched the name from someone else's blog (maybe Sue in Suffolk?) so I can't claim credit for it, but I do like the name. Thanks, re the photos. xx

      Delete
  8. What a lovely group - I'm glad it is proving so successful and so much fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, it's as good as I wanted it to be so I'm very happy with how it is going.

      Hope you enjoy your weekend away xx

      Delete
  9. What a lovely old place. And I find it comforting that alongside all that very old architecture are the signs of current life in fresh flowers, Bible study stuff for the kids, and colorful blankets for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The church is beautiful and much bigger than I was expecting. It appears to be well used by the community and the local schools. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts