A Day Trip to Swanage

This is also a 'photo an hour' post as I haven't done one of those for ages.

Every year I do something special on or near Ced's birthday to celebrate his life. This year's choice is a day trip to Swanage.


9 am

It was all a bit of a rush getting ready this morning. I got up early, had plenty of time, and then all of a sudden I was in danger of missing the coach and it was a mad dash to the other side of town on time.  All of which means that I didn't take my first photo until I was at the bus stop ... waiting on the wrong side of the road as it turns out!

I haven't travelled with this firm since before Covid but they remembered me and gave me a lovely, warm greeting. A great start to the day.

 


10 am

All the passengers had been collected and we were on our way, making good time.  Sorry it's a bit blurry, it was taken through the coach window.



11 am

A comfort break at Blandford Forum. No time to look around but a bit later the driver did take us through Corfe Castle, the village, so we at least got to see the castle. Unfortunately I was seated on the wrong side of the coach to attempt a photograph. 



12 pm

Lunch time! I was fully expecting to have fish and chips but was tempted by this roast chicken meal. It was okay, but I should have stuck to my first choice!



1 pm

Waiting on the stone pier for the trip boat. I couldn't do the sea birds trip as it started too late and I would have missed the coach, so opted for a trip around the headland to see the cliffs, etc. It was lovely and sunny and there were lots of kids crabbing and beachcombing. 



2 pm 

On the boat, heading around the headland to see The Pinnacle and Old Harry's Rock.

The Ballard Fault

The Pinnacle

Old Harry (on the right). The little stack to the left is Harry's wife!

The Isle of Wight ... well on a good day you can see it, but it wasn't visible today!


3 pm

Time for an ice cream ... well, you have to at the seaside, don't you? I sat on one of the benches on the stone pier and listened to the men in the second photo singing sea shanties. They were very good and I stayed longer than I'd planned to ... the free concert was a nice surprise.



4 pm

Strolling along the sea front.  I didn't have my proper camera with me and my phone wasn't up to the job ... I tried some shots of the sea and this is the best of a bad lot!



5 pm

On the coach and heading home. The driver promised to slow down so I could get a photo of Corfe Castle, which was very good of him. 



6 pm 

Still driving home. We've been lucky with the weather today but am starting to see a few grey clouds ... no rain yet though.



7 pm

Back at home and no more photos I'm afraid. The kettle is on and I've been adding the photos to this post. I'll get myself something quick to eat and will watch the Coronation Concert on TV later. I'm tired but happy. It's been a lovely day.



linking with Through My Lens


Comments

  1. What a lovely day out and I really liked your photo an hour record of it! I also like how you celebrate Ced's birthday by doing something special. I need to read up the history behind some of the landmarks you've shown, although, I feel I've read up on Corfe Castle once before. I'm glad you had a safe trip and enjoyed yourself. :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. It really was a lovely day and I ache today from all the walking! xx

      Delete
  2. So pleased your day turned out well and a lovely way to celebrate Ced's life near his birthday. A nice surprise to enjoy listening to the shanty singers and enjoying that delicious looking ice cream. Love all your photos of the day and thank you for sharing The Coronation Concert was wonderful and lovely to see the royal family singing and dancing along to the music. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. His birthday was May 12th so, depending on the weather, I may do something else on the actual day but my trip to Swanage was a fitting way of celebrating his life ... he would definitely have enjoyed the boat trip.

      I loved the Coronation Concert, glad you did too. xx

      Delete
  3. What a beautifully sunny day out - your photos are all brilliant.
    I had my first 99 ice cream of the summer on Sunday but it didn't look half as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. The day started out very overcast and a bit grey but the closer we got to Swanage, the brighter it got and the sun was shining for the rest of the day. The ice cream was delicious and it has to be a 99 doesn't it? xx

      Delete
  4. Fabulous day out and a joyous way to remember Ced.
    Great photos and happy that you got a glimpse of Corfe Castle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lovely time and I know Ced would have approved. The glimpse of Corfe Castle was the icing on the cake and I'm planning to return for a short break in that area sometime in June. xx

      Delete
  5. Glad you didn't miss the coach! It does look like a lovely day out & there are certainly some things that would warrant a return visit. A lovely way to remember Ced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a panic to start the day off! There was plenty of time to relax on the coach though. Swanage and the surrounding area is beautiful and well worth a visit. I'm hoping to return to Swanage for their folk festival in September and to Corfe Castle for a short break in June. xx

      Delete
  6. Looks like a lovely day out. I love the field photo. Yikes, glad you didn't miss the coach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a really good time thanks, Sharon, despite the mad dash to catch the coach! xx

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a really lovely day out and the photos are great - thanks. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I really enjoyed myself and it has spurred me on to do more day trips xx

      Delete
  8. Oh I love the hour by hour format to documenting your day out. Thanks so much for sharing the fab photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like looking back on posts written using this format. Now I've reminded myself about it, I plan to do more of them. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts