An Ordinary Day

this year's new growth, the burgundy leaves, on the pieris
 

Yesterday turned out to be a very quiet day when, despite good intentions, I actually achieved very little.

In my defence I was tired after meeting with J the previous evening. We had a lovely meal in the Kings Arms in town and then back to J's for a coffee and a chat ... we both like the food but it is a very noisy pub and conversation is difficult as a result. We had an interesting discussion about the pros and cons of doing the exact same thing every time as opposed to trying something new every time. The topic came as a result of us eating in the same place for the third time running and both of us choosing the exact same meal each time (without even considering doing anything different), and then questioning whether we were stuck in a rut. We decided in the end that some consistency and comfort in familiarity was a positive and only of concern if the freedom to make choices is overridden by a strict routine and rigid thinking that doesn't permit changes, thereby restricting your life. Seeing as neither of us lives to such a strict routine like that we decided it wasn't an issue so J ordered her usual chicken fajitas and I ordered my usual fish pie!

I had one slight disappointment yesterday. I'm booked on a coach trip to Swanage and Corfe Castle on Sunday but the coach company phoned to say that they'd just found out there will be no access to Corfe Castle as it is booked for the sole use of the villagers for their coronation party, so the coach would only be going to Swansea. I had the option for a refund but I decided to go anyway. I like Swanage and there is plenty to do there rain or shine, but I was planning to visit the model village in Corfe Castle so can't help feeling a little twinge of disappointment. The trip is mostly about wanting to see the sea again so that's still on the cards and I will spend some time today searching online for other new-to-me things I can do while I'm there. If the weather plays nicely I may go on a boat trip to see the nesting seabirds, but I'm not the world's best sailor so it will need to be completely calm for that to happen. 

I'm expecting a delivery from Tesco today. This is the monthly big shop to restock cupboards, fridge and freezer as well as some treats to enjoy when I watch the coronation tomorrow. I've also ordered the additional ingredients I need to use up some of the Simply Cook kits so there will be chicken makhani, penne alla rustica, Goan fish curry, firecracker chicken noodles, and lamb keema matar on the menu over the next week. The kits are supposed to give two portions but I always add extra ingredients and end up with three or four portions from each kit. Most of the extras will go in the freezer but I will keep the firecracker chicken noodles out and use it up for lunches/dinners as it didn't freeze too well last time I tried.

Apart from that and some piano practice, I don't have anything else planned. I will check the TV listings to see if there are any pre-coronation programmes I can watch but if not I think it'll probably be a day cuddled up on the sofa with my nose stuck in a book!

Comments

  1. If you enjoy the place and your usual meal there's nothing wrong with sticking to the same unless there is something more tempting on the menu. What a shame about the castle visit being off but a boat trip sounds lovely if you can find your sea legs.Those meals from the kits do sound lovely and after your grocery delivery enjoy the rest of your day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't bother to look at the menu so we don't know if there is something more tempting or not. This particular pub has a very varied menu unlike some locally that all seem to be offering the same basic choices, so we could well be missing out on something 'better', but we love our individual choices so it's all good really.

      I've been to Corfe Castle many times so I'm okay about not seeing it again this time, but I would have liked to see the model village. The meal kits are excellent and when I've used up my backlog will probably start with a regular subscription again. xx

      Delete
  2. My daughter and I have similar conversations because we have our favorite restaurants and I usually have the same item from the menu (daughter is more adventurous and will try different menu items; I prefer to stick to the tried and true - I don't want to spend money to try something I might not like!).
    Too bad the coach trip will not be going to the castle you wanted to visit, but, hopefully, you'll be able to visit it another time. Hope you have a lovely day, whatever you decide to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad we're not the only ones! This pub make a lovely homemade fish pie and it's delicious so I know I will definitely enjoy it.

      I've been to the castle many times but would have liked to see the model village so I will work out another trip there later in the year. I've spent the day so far (it's 3pm) planning things to do in Swanage, practicing the piano, and chatting with L ... it's been a lovely, slow paced day so far. Hope you have a good day too. xx

      Delete
  3. A fun discussion with your friend ... while we haven't been out for a meal since February 2020, I was one who stuck to the same meal at our favourite place. After 3 years of cooking E V E R Y meal at home, trying to make it varied, I'm into having the same meal at lease every week. My brain hurts trying to come up with new recipes. The motorcoach trip sounds fun, in spite of not being able to get to Corfe Castle - something to plan for the future. Happy Coronation Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to come up with a different recipe for every day so I do the same as you and have repeats most week ... there'll always be at least a chicken curry and a chilli on the menu plan each week. It's nice to have favourites when I want to!

      My grocery delivery arrived on time with no substitutions so I have all the treats I've planned for tomorrow when I'll be spending the day in front of the TV to watch every bit of the coronation. Are you planning to watch it? xx

      Delete
    2. I'm very excited about the coronation. I'll be up at 4:30am as that's when it all starts for us on this side of the pond. I am hoping rumours aren't true, that there will be tiaras! I'll be wearing mine! & I'll wear while baking my scones & brewing my tea ... God Save The King. I'm still not sure about taking the oath ... it does no harm to participate :)

      Delete
    3. It all starts at 7:30 am over here but I'll be up and ready. I have scones too! I hope the rumours about the tiaras aren't true as well. I'm not really convinced about taking the oath either but I probably will. All I hope is that Harry and Meghan don't do something to try to steal the limelight away from the coronation. xx

      Delete
  4. A shame but, hopefully, there will be another opportunity. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning a short break to that area next month so will get to see all that I want to then. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts