Tuesday

My car was fixed yesterday - a new battery, so more expensive than I'd hoped but it's back and parked up on my drive all ready to go, so I can't complain.  I did get out to buy the postage stamps I need so that's all sorted and am ready for the lockdown to start on Thursday! 

I didn't get quite as much of the housework done as I'd hoped because I stopped part way through to print out the music I needed for last night's choir practice and ... I really don't know why I was surprised about this ... the printer didn't want to play nicely and a five minute job took nearly an hour to sort out. Anyway, I did get all of the downstairs windows, French doors, and mirrors cleaned, and I will do the same in the upstairs rooms today. I had intended to get the downstairs rooms finished before I thought about the upstairs but I decided that this way I'm more likely to get it all done. 

I made a start on my 'tools' photos for my November challenge. I hadn't intended to but I brought the sewing basket downstairs intending to replace the elastic in one of my skirts and ended up trying out some photo ideas with some of the things in the sewing basket instead. I still have to replace the elastic!

Today, apart from the window cleaning, G will be here later this morning to cut my hair and if she is planning to stop work during the lockdown I will ask her to cut it shorter than usual just in case the lockdown is extended. I know hair salons have to stop but I don't know the rules for the mobile hairdressers as the government website says that people should continue to work even if it means having to go to other people's homes. We'll see!

As for the rest of the day, I'll do some Italian practice as usual and will have a look around the house for some more subjects for 'tool' photos. The lockdown means that the auction houses will have to cease working so the items set aside for auction have to stay in the house for now. Most of it is in the music room and it's getting difficult to reach the piano and I want to rethink where I store it for the time being so that's a job for today, time permitting. Oh, and I need to cook up the remainder of the fresh veg so probably some portions of veggie curry and veggie soup, both for the freezer.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you have a new battery put in, even if it was more expensive; better in the long run, I think. You got a lot done, yesterday, with all the window cleaning! Sounds like you'll have a productive day, today, too. I've been thinking about "tools", but, haven't taken any photographs, yet. Hope you have a good day, today. We are sort of bracing ourselves, here, for Election Day and its aftermath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief to have the car working bargain especially as we are approaching the lockdown and I have medical appointments later this month. If they aren't cancelled at least now I won't have the worry of having to use public transport.

      I came up with quite a long list of the tools I use around the house for cooking and hobbies etc. but am puzzling out how to take interesting photos of them.

      I hope Election Day brings the result you want!

      Delete
  2. 'Close contact' services have to stop and that includes mobile hairdressers, so best go for a slightly shorter crop today Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I will definitely opt for a shorter cut this time.

      Delete
    2. G has just confirmed that she has to stop working during the lockdown so I am currently sporting a very short haircut!

      Delete
  3. Thankfully an easy (although expensive) solution to your car woes - now you're ready for any of those mobile wanderings you'll need to keep spirits up during the next 4 weeks. That would be allowed wouldn't it? I chuckled when you said you were using the sewing basket for tool ideas - for me, my sewing basket would be more of weapons source as I'm rather limited to my sewing abilities! Good luck with the hair cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I only had to pay for the cost of the battery. They collected and returned the car for free and didn't charge for fitting and testing.

      Yes we will be allowed out to exercise and that can include driving a reasonable distance (but still within your area) to a place to walk.

      I'm much the same with knitting!

      Delete
  4. I had my battery replaced late last year....good job I had a bit of savings put by - it had gone up....a lot. Mind you the old one was about 8 yrs old.

    Are you allowed to leave home foamy old reason?
    I know different countries- different rules but here in Victoria there were only four allowable reasons to be away from your property. Exercise ...1 hr max / Shopping....1 person per household 1 hr max/ Medical Care or caregiving/ Work and Education. We had those plus a night curfew and 5km radius boundary for 8 weeks! Tough times indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have said we’d been in ‘lockdown’ since March with restrictions getting tighter and tighter - finally easing over the past week. 8 months in total!

      Delete
    2. We have the same reasons here although exercise outside of the home isn't limited to one hour this time. As I live alone I can meet with one person outside of the house and can also visit, or have visits, with my 'buddy' group.

      I think your lockdown has been much stricter than ours!

      Delete
  5. Good news about the car! Peace of mind if nothing else - counts for a lot.

    I have one "tools" photo so far - haven't thought much about it yet. Your indoors photos are always very good and I'm sure you'll come up with some interesting settings.

    Good news about it being permissible to drive to an exercise location! Where did you find the info? I looked at the government website but no joy. If it is allowed, I hope the (eg) National Trust carparks stay open and aren't overwhelmed like crazy as it will make a huge difference to my existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in this article on the government website:
      https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#travel

      Under the section on travel it lists travel for exercise as a valid reason for travelling.

      I'm hoping some of the NT gardens stay open during the winter but at least the local Country Park and part of the Longleat estate is accessible for now. I have the car, thankfully, so should be able to get out to at least one of these places.

      Tools is proving to be more challenging than I was expecting!

      Delete
    2. Ah - so that would be the same article I read then! Helps if you stick with it to the end!!

      Thank you. I'm going to try to trust my own definitions of "need" and "short"!

      Delete
    3. Haha, I didn't find it myself ... I had help! I am glad that travel to somewhere for exercise is permitted as it means I can drive to either of the local Country Parks.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry about the car battery, but it was an easy fix and quick, so there's that. I bought hair clippers lol Every few months I shear myself. I like it, and nobody else cares ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just happy that the car is fixed and the cost of a new battery didn't completely break the bank.

      I'm sure you look lovely with your chosen hairstyle!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts