Tuesday 4 - Flowers

I've seen this link on several blogs so thought I'd have a go. It's time to answer the weekly questions set by Annie at Tuesday 4. This week the theme is 'flowers'.  

1. Do you have a favourite flower? That's quite a hard question to answer and I don't know if I can only pick one. Top of my list would be cosmos, poppies, sweet peas and roses. If I really have to choose only one it would be the cosmos. Or maybe the sweet peas!

2. Do you know your birth flower? I didn't know so had to look it up, and apparently the birth flower for November is chrysanthemums.  These have lots of meanings based on the colour (red is for love, white is for purity, etc.) but the general meaning is that they represent friendship, honesty and happiness.

3. Is there a plant that you love having in the house or garden? I only have one successful plant in the house and that's a peace lily, a plant I've always had in every home I've owned. The current one was a thank you gift from my friend's daughters five years ago and it's getting too big for it's current pot. I need to find out if it is possible to split it into two plants. I keep attempting to look after orchids but I'm not too successful with them. I bought one a few weeks ago but it's not doing very well at all.  

4. If you could plant a dream garden what would you place in it? A dream garden would be large enough to plant a huge selection of peonies.

Many thanks to Annie for organising this.

Comments

  1. I'm off to find my birth flower, never heard of that before! In the Summer I bought a peace lily and divided into 3. They are all still alive, so I think they will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of birth flowers either. I'll try splitting the peace lily at some stage, it has to be worth a try.

      Delete
  2. Flowers - What a lovely topic. I've always wished I could have fresh flowers about, just all the arrangements I see in Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh flowers in the house are one of my regular treats. I can't quite run to the Downton Abbey type arrangements though.

      Delete
  3. My roses are still blooming! I love flowers but I don't' spend as much time as I use to taking care of them. I don't do well with orchids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never managed to keep an orchid alive yet! I haven't bought many cut flowers this year but I have spent a small fortune getting the back garden planted up.

      Delete
  4. Peonies are beautiful. My flower is also Chrysanthemum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best people are born in November 😊

      Delete
  5. I used to have the most gorgeous plants in my house and they all died when I went back to work several years ago. I made an attempt to get more, but they died. I don't know how I kept the others alive so long. It makes me sad though. I like to have live things like plants in my house. Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indoor plants don't usually survive the winter - I think it may be too hot in here for them. The peace lily lives in the dining room and is the only one that does well, so I'm resigned to that now.

      Hope you have a good week too.

      Delete
  6. My favorite flower is the sunflower, any kind of sunflower. My birth flower is the marigold. I love abelia on the patio. It grows in the ground or in a pot, has sweet little white flowers that attract hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees, and it is evergreen. Also it grew in front of our house when I was growing up :) A dream garden for me would be sunny where I could plant lots of flowers that would attract the butterflies.

    Interesting questions. I enjoyed this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely forgot about sunflowers when I answered the questions ... they should definitely have been on the list.

      I didn't recognise abelia so had to look it up ... very pretty plant and a lovely association with you childhood.

      Delete
  7. Interesting questions! I love looking at flowers, but I am absolutely terrible about growing or keeping them. I always forget to water them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a gardener now so I have my fingers crossed for a good display next year! I'm okay about the watering as the pots need a drink every night so it's a routine thing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts