The Simple Woman's Daybook

 FOR TODAY - MONDAY 2ND NOVEMBER 2020


Outside my window ... It's cold but it has stopped raining!

I am thinking ... about the lockdown and trying to decide if there is anything I need to do before it starts on Thursday. I know I need to buy some postage stamps as there are birthdays during the lockdown period so I will wander round to the nearest Post Office later today ... that will be one less thing to worry about and I think that's probably all I need. My understanding is that nobody has been told to shield this time but that's pretty much what I intend to do, although I will take advantage of the permitted daily exercise outside of the home this time.

I am thankful ... that all my family and friends remain safe and well during these strange times. This is the same things I've written in the last two of these posts, but it is the most important thing and I'm genuinely thankful that the people I love have so far stayed safe.

In the kitchen ... I have planned all of November's meals and now need to start some of the bulk cooking for freezer meals - chilli, shepherds pie, and chicken casserole will be cooked today/tomorrow but the rest of the cooking will need to wait until the supermarket delivery on Saturday.

I am wearing ... comfy clothes, and as I am staying indoors, am not worrying too much what I look like. I do try to look human and presentable on the odd occasions I venture out into the world!

I am creating ... or trying to create, a rhythm to my days. It's easy to sit around doing as little as possible but that's not the way I want things to be, so I am attempting to be more disciplined about doing the household chores in the mornings before I settle down to do my fun activities. 

I am going ... to continue making the crocheted blanket. I bought the wool at the start of the first lockdown but it was just too hot to bother with and it was abandoned before I got very far. I should be okay with it this time as the days are much cooler so hopefully I will appreciate the warmth from working with the wool.

I am wondering ... whether the lockdown will be extended. It's supposed to end on December 2nd and doesn't start until this Thursday but already there are 'experts' suggesting it may have to be extended. I can't see how a month long lockdown will be enough to make a real difference so I'd wouldn't surprise me if the 'experts' are correct.

I am reading ... a selection of articles about life in England under the Stuarts.


I am watching ... 'Who Do You Think You Are'. I've enjoyed the latest series and I think it is the final episode tonight. I've also been watching 'Fake or Fortune' where they try to prove the authenticity of a piece of art. I like the mix of technology and detective work it involves. 

I am hoping ... that the local community initiatives continue when the virus is behind us. An online support group was created at the start of the first lockdown offering free support to anyone who needed it and that continued when the restrictions were eased, continuing to offer friendship and support. This led to the formation of a working committee to identify and start up regular activities, groups and clubs in the village hall for when it is safe to resume in person meetings. I have volunteered for that committee but it's on hold for now. I don't plan to run any of the groups but am interested in joining a couple if they do ever get started ... suggestions I'm interested in include a book group, coffee morning, photography club, Scrabble club and walking group.

I am looking forward to ... choir practice tonight when we start the Christmas repertoire. I'm missing the Christmas music this year, something I'd normally start at the beginning of October ... it just doesn't feel the same now I don't have to teach Jingle Bells to any beginners.

I am learning ... quite a lot about about our ancestors' beliefs and lifestyle, mostly through the Churches Conservation Trust lectures but also through reading related articles online. 

Around the house ...  it's time to clean through every room. The rooms look tidy enough as that was last week's effort and now I want to do a deep clean in each room, which I have started today. 

I am pondering ... on the list of prompts for the Winter Photo Scavenger Hunt. I have some ideas but am struggling to come up with a set of 20 prompts that could, if necessary, be found around the home for the people who are continuing to shield. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate the help.

One of my favourite things ... closing the curtains against the dark night.

A few plans for the rest of the week ... 
  • Tuesday will be a visit from G to cut my hair. The timing couldn't be better with the lockdown looming.
  • Wednesday will be a phone call with J, after which I'll watch whichever Shakespeare play is being screened by The Shows Must Go On this week.
  • Thursday will be the lunch time lecture by The Churches Conservation Trust
  • Friday will be the musical offering from The Shows Must Go On, 
  • Saturday will be the food delivery from the supermarket, after which I will start making some soups.
  • Sunday will be some more bulk cooking 
A peek into my day ... today I went to the Post Office to stock up with stamps and made a start on cleaning through the house. I'm doing the downstairs rooms first and started with the windows today. T has collected my car ... it's probably just a flat battery but he's taken it back to the garage and will run the diagnostics just to be sure. It's choir practice tonight which I'm really looking forward to as we are starting on our Christmas music 😁😁

A quote for today ... "For once, stop and thank yourself for how far you've come. You've been trying to make changes in your life and all your efforts count.", Unknown

Comments

  1. You can put stamps on your supermarket order or go on to the Royal Mail website,order and the postman will deliver.That site is great for parcels.No need to queue in the post office just print off a label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this. I have ordered from the supermarket before but I had to post a letter today, so couldn't avoid going to the post office. It's only a local sub office so was empty when I got there.

      Delete
  2. It's almost impossible to believe that after all this time we're looking at increased restrictions :( I'm trying to look forward to hunkering down and watching more movies/reading more books. I look forward to these days being past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the UK and feel that, as last time, they are late imposing the national lockdown. I have plenty of things to keep me occupied and in many ways it won't be that much different from a normal winter - I don't go out much when it's cold! I too look forwards to normal times.

      Delete
  3. I heard on the news about the proposed lockdown, over there. It looks like you have your week nicely planned. :) As for the winter scavenger hunt, these are the things that came to mind: hot chocolate/a favorite winter drink, candy canes, gingerbread/a favorite winter treat, ice skates, mittens, stockings, something knitted/crocheted, holiday ornaments, poinsettia, candles, presents/something wrapped/something under the tree, holiday greeting cards, bells, snow (for those lucky enough to get some!), snowmen, reindeer. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestions for the scavenger hunt. I will be able to use some of these so many thanks for your help.

      Yes, the lockdown starts in 3 days and is supposed to last for 4 weeks. I think it needs to happen and am feeling okay about it - I've done it once so know I will be able to do it again.

      Delete
  4. My understanding is that you can go out and exercise as many times as you wish per day this time round so long as the rules are followed. That's a positive for my son because it's his way of dealing with stress. It sounds like you're well prepared. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. I've just looked on the government website and I think you're right. Thanks Aril. I hope you and your family stay well x

      Yes, I am well prepared but more to do with it coinciding with getting ready for winter rather than expecting another lockdown.

      Delete
  5. Lots of good plans. Let's hope that everyone follows the 4 week lockdown rules so it doesn't have to be prolonged. Whether our provincial government enforces, I think Mr Man & I will go into our own modified lockdown - the rising numbers of new infections is very scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I'm sure there will be a large number of people who won't follow the rules and, like last time, it won't be enforced properly.

      Good luck to both of you. I think your decision to do your own lockdown is a sensible one and I wish you well xx

      Delete
  6. I hope the lockdown won’t be for too long. You sound well prepared. Take care, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposed to be for four weeks, which is bearable, though personally I think it will be longer.

      I'm on the fortunate position of having sufficient supplies (once my regular monthly order is delivered) so I won't need to go out at all for essentials during the four week period.

      Delete
  7. ‘Lockdown’ is not a pleasant experience....some might disagree quite strongly but we know that it is implemented for ‘the good of us all’. Thankfully our (Victorian) very strong and very long lasting lockdown with restrictions that became stricter as weeks went by was during our autumn and winter.....Australians do so enjoy being outside we’d have been very distressed at the thought of not being able to go anywhere...except for the ‘4 reasons’ on a beautiful day like today.
    You’re right in that it depends on everyone pulling their weight.....but unfortunately there are others who disagree. It’s all about Me Me Me and My Rights. Here’s hoping every Brit realises that this time it about a nation and not just them. Good luck - Take Care - Do your bit - Wash you hands - Stay safe....cliches yes but so necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I don't think every Brit will think of the big picture and consider the good of the nation as a whole. I'm not worried about the lockdown for myself - I have plenty to eat and to keep me occupied and I am used to living alone, so I am able to deal with the solitude.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts