The Family Tree

The weekend was busier than I'd planned, but in a good way. I have now ... somehow, but probably because we are all looking for things to do during lockdown ... got everyone to agree to the date and time for us to get together via Zoom for me to show them one branch of the family tree. It will be this week on Friday evening, starting at 7:30pm because I want to do the choir quiz beforehand ... I have my first place slot to defend!

I've shared some of my research with various family members before but never to this extent, or to this many people - at least 20 households made up of siblings and cousins and their numerous offspring. I'm telling the story of our maternal grandmother's family, starting back in 1495 and as well as detailing every generation I will set family history in the context of the big events of British history. There are some interesting tales to share ... a murder victim, a sheep stealer, a disastrous emigration, numerous criminal convictions, and several interesting military histories. I'll finish with my maternal grandparents as they are the last common ancestor for the family members who will be attending. Me, my siblings and cousins are related through the children of these grandparents but from then on, each family group has a different direct line of descent and it all got too confusing!

So, this week is all about getting ready for Friday evening. The presentation is complete in terms of the information and every screen (I'm using PowerPoint) has been formatted, so today I will add the instructions for the animation to determine how each snippet of information will appear on the screen. 

I'm really looking forward to this!

Comments

  1. It sounds so very professional. Good for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I haven't produced a presentation like this since I gave up teaching, so it's been good to find another outlet to use the skills.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure your relations will be most interested. My late Mum's family all came from Wiltshire, Pewsey and Calne areas. Father in law and I started his Somerset family in 2000, easier now so much more is online although we made many trips to the old Somerset Record Office. Sound like you have some interesting characters on your family tree. Your family may be in for a few surprises! Good luck with your presentation.
    I enjoy reading your blog but have not commented before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Heather. I used to teach in Calne and the Pewsey area - both lovely places.

      I will be trotting off to the Somerset Record Office when it is safe to do so as they hold many more sources of information than is available online. It is so much easier now with the increasing number of records available for online research, but I do miss being able to read the original documents.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that sounds like such an exciting evening to look forward to! I hope everyone will not only be interested in learning about the family history, but, also, appreciative of all the work you've done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is that I know the majority are interested, just not interested enough to want to research it themselves.

      Delete
  4. The presentation to your family sounds very intresting. I enjoy hearing about family history. I have also started to do my family tree, I am only up to 1810 on one side and have hit a bit of a brick wall on another branch, it doesn't help that the name is very popular, Jones. Maria Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stuck on the Taylor branch of my family so I can understand the problems you have with the Jones surname. Good luck with your research.

      Delete
  5. Oh it will be like revealing a mystery - I hope your preparation goes well, because I am sure it will be enjoyable for them to see and hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing a bit of a practice of the technical side on Wednesday with my friend J who uses Zoom all the time for her work. This is to let me practice sharing my screen and to make sure each slide and map is clear and easy to read.

      Family history requires a lot of detective work so I am trying to make the presentation be in the form of a detective novel, like where Poirot has all the people together at the end of the book to do the big reveal!

      Delete
  6. Sounds brilliant, make sure you mute your audience with Zoom while you ate talking or it'll be a very long presentation!!
    J.P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I've already told them they will be muted. The chances of all my family keeping quiet at the same time are nil! I'll just stop for questions or to clarify points after each slide.

      Delete
  7. Spelling correction ' ARE' talking even!
    J.P.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope all those taking part really appreciate the amount of work you have put into the research & the presentation. It seems to have been an overall fun project for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are interested enough to want to hear the family history and that's enough for me. I've enjoyed all the research, something I have been doing on and off for years, and I am excited about sharing it. I will do another presentation after Christmas to tell them about our paternal grandfather's branch of the family.

      Delete
  9. Fascinating! And how wonderful that you are so willing to share and that your family is interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it. It should be fun.

      Delete
  10. Sounds very interesting and the family should be really pleased you have taken so much interest. I met cousins in Australia and one had put together a folder to show that I had 194 cousins. Whew I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this time I've stuck to the English family. We have plenty who emigrated to Australia, USA or Canada and some of those will make another fascinating story for another time.

      194 cousins is a lot!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts