Wednesday 14th September

257/365: hibiscus chiffon

 
I'm feeling better than I did yesterday, just very tired after another disturbed night. 

Today's nutrition class should be interesting. We'll be looking at ways to keep food bills lower while still eating healthily, and also discussing the costs of ways to cook without using the oven, e.g. air fryer, microwave, slow cooker. It will hopefully be one of the more interactive sessions where participants can share their own ideas ... they are always good and I'm always open to new ideas. I still haven't restarted my piano lessons so the nutrition class is my only commitment for the day.

I've started reading 'The Appeal' by Janice Hallett, which is different from my usual choices as the storyline develops through emails, texts, police transcripts and WhatsApp messages. I haven't read enough yet to say whether I like it, but so far so good.

S tried to sort out my gas meter last night but of course it didn't go smoothly. Does it ever? He followed the instructions provided by my supplier but couldn't get the final confirmation message on the screen so I don't know whether the gas meter is communicating with the hub or not ... the in-home monitor says not. I'll email my supplier later this morning for confirmation that it is now working and ask how to reset my in-home monitor if they say it is. I don't know why it just can't be straightforward for once! 

S also gave me his plan/design for the pergola. I'm happy with the design he's come up with so the next stage is to cost it out and agree when it is going to be done. He's estimated a cost and if that proves to be accurate, I will have the funds to finance it straight away. He'll be doing the work with his friend R, the landscape gardener who installed the new fencing for us earlier in the year. It's all very exciting!

Comments

  1. Good to read you are feeling a little better. What a shame the gas meter problem isn't quite sorted yet. let's hope it's just the monitor and a straightforward fix. The plans for your pergola sound exciting, I look forward to seeing it in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. My supplier assures me that they are getting info from my meter and that the monitor will reset itself soon. I'm waiting to see what happens and will know when I get my next monthly bill, so fingers crossed.

      The pergola will be the final big thing for the garden so I am excited about it, although it wont be planted up until next year.

      Delete
  2. I never understood the Smart meter, and currently don't have one. I can't wait to see how the pergola turns out. I'm sure it will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I opted for smart meters because the previous gas one was so difficult to read. It's outside the front of the house at ground level and was positioned in such a way that I almost had to lie on the ground to take the reading. The smart meter eliminated the need to that monthly contortion and up to now it has worked perfectly so I am trying to see this as a glitch.

      S wants to measure up again and then cost it all out. Then, if it's not too much more expensive than expected, it'll be done whenever he and R have time to spare.

      Delete
  3. Oh another landscaping project, exciting! A few months back our gas company sent an email asking all their customers to self read the gas meters - the uproar in the community was deafening. I went out to our meter, it was fairly easy to read & reported back to the gas company; turns out they were definitely over estimating our usage & billed accordingly. We ended up with a very large credit. Not sure if self reading the gas meter is going to ever stop now ... I equated this to self serve check outs at the grocery store (although I don't use those) fewer staff, more profit for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exciting. I'm looking forward to getting the pergola structure in place this year and then planning the planting during the winter months.

      I don't use the self service checkout either and always prefer to be served by a member of staff. The benefit of the smart meters for the gas and electricity is the ease with which I can check my usage daily, if I want to, using the in-house monitor. I have a feeling that will be invaluable with the way prices are rising.

      Delete
  4. Glad to read that you are feeling better, today. Hope you continue to feel better. I hope you will share what the nutrition class had to say about keeping food costs lower.
    I hope your smart meter reset itself and everything is fine with it.
    I'm excited about the pergola and am looking forward to seeing it being built. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. The nutrition class was changed at the last minute but I will share any useful information when the topic is discussed. I've been told the smart meter is communicating again but still haven't got the in house monitor to work so I'm not sure. It'll be good to get the pergola sorted this year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts