Saturday 11th December

Yesterday's highlight was receiving my very first state pension payment. It's paid in arrears every four weeks but this initial payment was for a shorter period to allow future payments to fit into their schedule, ensuring that I'll be paid on the correct date from now on. I'm just glad that the correct amount was paid into the correct bank account as there have been quite a few reports of people not being paid correctly and it taking a considerable time to sort out. Now I know that I'm in the system I can go ahead with my plans to have a cleaner and follow up on the quotes I received. 

This week's Age Well class focused on the importance of continuing to maintain mental and social engagement. The five points discussed covered the benefits of doing something new (change is good for the brain), managing stress, being positive about ageing, the benefits of volunteering, and challenging your brain with an activity or activities that make you think. I've been focusing on this aspect of life since I've been alone and think I'm doing well on maintaining the mental engagement side of things. In 2020 I started learning Italian and in 2021 I started having piano lessons, both activities chosen because I wanted to do them but with the added benefit that they also fulfil the requirement to 'do something new' and to 'challenge my brain'. I think I already do well for these two requirements as family tree research and puzzles of all sorts fit into this category as well, although to count the puzzles (jigsaws, crosswords, sudoku, etc.) they need to be hard enough to really challenge you - if you find them relatively easy to complete, then the 'challenge' element is missing so would be classed as something you are doing for fun. I do know that the social side of life needs to be improved, not just because of the restrictions imposed by Covid, so with this in mind I have agreed to take part in a year long photography challenge with friends during 2022. I don't know what it involves or how it will be organised but I'm sure it will be fun and will enhance my life in some way. I'll let you know what it involves as soon as I know.

I managed to place the rest of the adverts yesterday so fingers are crossed that everything sells. It took way longer than I'd estimated so I didn't make it to town but I did get the meal planning done and amended today's delivery to include the extras that I'll need. That's due this afternoon between 4pm and 8pm (the only slot available) so if it arrives early enough I will do a bit of batch cooking this evening. 

As for the weekend plans, I'll be staying at home. I'm expecting three visits from people to view items for sale and hopefully complete those transactions, and if I get any other enquiries on the new adverts I will try to organise for those items to be viewed over the weekend as well. I don't plan to do much today, just family tree research and catching up on TV programmes. Tomorrow morning I'll be on cooking duties, completing the remainder of the batch cooking to a background of Christmas music, and then the rest of the day of reading, watching a film (if there's one I fancy watching), and possibly some more online searching for the new outfit I want to buy in January/February.

Comments

  1. It's lovely to receive that first state pension payment and can say you are officially retired although not every one likes to admit they are a pensioner I know. It's interesting to read about the Age Well class and you are doing very well. I seem to have a lot in common with you as I enjoy doing puzzles and my family research but don't live alone as you do although my husband's mobility is poor so I don't get out much except with the pup. Your photography challenge with friends sounds interesting and something you are sure to enjoy. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind admitting that I'm a pensioner! 😂

      The Age Well classes have been interesting. It's mostly things I've already known about or have already implemented, but it's a timely reminder of how much you can help yourself at this stage of life. I think we do have a lot more in common than simply having the same name, especially all the family tree research. I don't know what the photography challenge involves - apparently out Christmas gift from H will reveal all. Hope you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  2. I loved getting my first pension payments. It felt like something for nothing - which is far from the truth but you know what I mean!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same 😀 xx

      Delete
  3. Hope the sales come through. It would be nice to get things out of the house and make a little extra money. The Age Well class sounds interesting but I'm pretty sure I'd fail on a lot of the points. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sales went well and all three items sold for my asking prices.

      The Age Well classes are interesting and have made me realise that there are more things I can do to get the most out of this stage of life. Whether I will is another matter though!

      I hope you have a good weekend too x

      Delete
  4. I would be interested in hearing more about your year-long photography challenge, I've challenged myself to another blog 365 for 2022, although I've not yet decided if I'll do it daily or weekly - ooh decisions, decisions xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's being organised by a friend so I will let you know when I know what it involves. Good luck with your 365. I found that I was more successful when I did it if I stuck to daily rather than weekly. I'm tempted to join you for 2022 so will do it daily if I do commit. xx

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on receiving your first pension payment! it's very exciting, isn't it? The Aging Well tips are all very good! I took up piano lessons again as something challenging, as learning to read notes is challenging to me! Especially if they are several ledger lines below or above the regular ledger lines! :D I hope the people came by to purchase and pick up the items you had for sale and you've enjoyed a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is exciting. I took early retirement following doctor's advice and have been managing on my Civil Service pension since then, so this feels long overdue. 😀😀

      The Age Well course has been one of the better ones and I've made notes on some ideas for tweaks and changes to implement next year. It's not the note reading that challenges me, it's reading two lines of music at the same time as all the other instruments I play are single line music only.

      They all turned up as arranged and the items sold.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts