Thursday 9th December

In the garden ... 


... one of the freesias is rather confused and has flowered!

M was here yesterday and tidied the garden for me so I won't see her again until next year. It looks a lot better as the majority of the (now) tatty annuals have been removed - there's just three nemesia left, still going strong. She also left the fuchsias that were a gift from friends, which we think are most likely to be annuals but we've decided to wait and see what happens next year. Of course, she arrived just as I was about to start my piano lesson so sadly I didn't get to talk to her for long.

The piano lesson was good fun. I didn't play any of the pieces as well as I am able but C was pleased and has given me some really useful tips for improving the pieces for next week. Apparently, my pedalling technique is 'very good' despite the squeaky pedal, so we will keep working on it! 

I don't need to hang about at home today now that M has been, so I may go out if I can summon up the enthusiasm. I'm half thinking about a quick trip to town as I think the Christmas editions of the Radio Times and TV Times are in the shops, and I could pick up a few special goodies at the same time, but ... it's freezing outside and I'm tired so ... it may happen, it may not! What definitely has to be done today is to sort out the rest of the adverts and finish writing my Christmas cards so I can get them in the post. 

After lunch it's the Indian cookery class - Palak Patta Chaat is today's recipe. I'm not sure that I fancy it but I've said that before about some of the recipes, so I reserve the right to change my mind. The link is to an online recipe but Monica always writes her own for us and the photo on her recipe sheet looks rather different. It's also the Age Well class at 6pm, focusing on how to stay engaged - I think this is to do with maintaining social contact but I'll be able to clarify that once I've seen the class!

I had quite a disturbed night last night thanks to some inconsiderate people in the next road who were playing loud music and continuously slamming car doors - it went on to about 3 o'clock and is really unusual for this area (it's never happened in the 8½ years that I've lived here) but I didn't get a lot of sleep so it'll be an early night tonight.

Comments

  1. I hope you don't feel too worn out today from your disturbed night, that happens here but only occasionally but very annoying. The Christmas TV guides are a must aren't they and it's nice to plan ahead. I hope you can enjoy your day despite being tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shattered today so have had rather a lot of naps! As far as I can remember this is the first time it's happened since I moved here in 2013 but I do hope it's the last. At least I didn't have to work today - I feel so sorry for everyone who had to go into work after getting so little sleep. Despite feeling tired I have enjoyed myself today.

      Yes, the Christmas guides are essential. I don't buy TV guides the est of the year but can't manage without them at Christmas.

      Delete
  2. How lovely to see a freesia blooming in December! :)
    Well done on the piano playing! S called me today to say she is resuming teaching in January and asked if I needed new pieces and have I been practicing! I told her I'm on holiday! She laughed.
    Sorry about the noisy neighbors. They remind me of my nextdoor neighbors and their loud late night parties! Not at all considerate! I hope you have a fun day, today, and an undisturbed night of sleep, later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is the freesia blooming way too early, it's the wrong colour ... it's supposed to be white, but it is pretty.

      It's good news about your piano lessons starting back up in January. Are you excited, or not yet?

      I've just found out that the police stopped the noise and sent everyone on their way. According to neighbour J, they don't own the house and are just renting so she is going to complain to their landlord. Hopefully he/she will put a stop to any future parties.

      Delete
  3. I don't usually bother with the Radio Times but the Christmas edition is a different kettle of fish, a really good read and very helpful when planning my festive telly!

    Well done with the piano progress.

    And I wonder how many complaints those selfish people will get in the next few days - and whether they will care much.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either but they are essential at Christmas ... I still get both because I like the puzzles in both of them but prefer the Radio Times for the listings.

      I'm really pleased with how my piano playing is progressing and can't wait to get my new piano.

      Another neighbour is going to complain to their landlord (it's a private rental) so hopefully that will ensure it doesn't happen again. xx

      Delete
  4. How lovely that your Freesia gifted you with such a pretty flower. How very encouraging to hear those words of praise from your music teacher (I had no doubts). I wonder who thought having a party so late & especially during the rising cases. Let's hope this celebration was a one off. Have fun with your wild card day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very pretty but shouldn't be flowering just for a few months yet. It's now been battered by the wind so don't hold out much hope for the rest of the buds to open.

      I had doubts about my playing! I don't think I've quite reset my expectations for learning a new instrument but I was pleased with her feedback.

      I hope it was a one-off too. A neighbour is complaining to their landlord so hopefully he/she will sort it out and prevent any future parties.

      Delete
  5. Very pretty flower. How nice to have some colour! Ack, sorry about the neighbour. That's always annoying. Some people do tend not to think of anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love freesias but this one is not happy in the cold and I don't think it will last long, which is a shame.

      Thankfully they're in the next street so don't live too close which gives you an idea of how loud it was. With luck, their landlord will sort them out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts