Tuesday 21st December

I have a short list to work through this morning, starting with a trip to town to pick up a few things I want to choose myself rather than have delivered. It shouldn't take long and while I'm out will deliver Christmas packages to a couple of friends who live just off the town centre. Depending on the number of people about I may do a supermarket shop as well, leaving just the fresh produce to buy in a couple of days time.

Back at home and assuming I do a supermarket shop, I'll be making some more batches of soup. At this time of year I like to have a bowl of soup for lunch so, although there are plenty of portions in the freezer, I'd like to add a bit more variety so will make a split pea soup, a mushroom soup, and a spiced Moroccan vegetable soup to ring the changes. I'll feel extra productive by doing a load of washing as well!

This afternoon it's my second session of the online 'coffee and crosswords' club. It'll be interesting to see if they have made any changes following the feedback from last week's session. I haven't been to many of the sessions run by Mirthy yet but the ones I have been to all seem to be small groups attended by the same people so I am getting to recognise some friendly faces. I don't know whether this is because they limit the numbers in each session or whether it's due to a lack of members so it'll be interesting to see how it all develops.

I'm off to a folk club tonight, a must for every year in the lead up to Christmas ... it's time for Johnny Coppin's 'All On A Winter's Night' concert. Well to be completely accurate I'm staying at home and listening to his CD, recorded live at one of last year's concerts, and will be backing that up with a few YouTube videos. He is actually doing the Winter's Night tour this year but none of the venues are that close to home, which wouldn't have been a problem in normal times, but with the uncertainty of the Covid situation I decided to enjoy his music in the safety of my own home instead.

Comments

  1. Your soups sound very appealing, pea soup and mushroom soup are my favourites. I'm going to get up early on Thursday morning to go and buy my fresh food. I hope you don't find the supermarkets too busy today, I managed to have a late evening delivery yesterday, having a delivery pass and priority slot is very helpful for me. Enjoy the concert tonight in the comfort of your own home tonight, sounds a very sensible way to do it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I was ready to shop it was too busy so I came home. I checked for a delivery slot, not expecting to find one but there must have been a cancellation as I now have a delivery booked for tomorrow night so can avoid the shops completely.

      Delete
  2. You may say you have a short list to work through, but, it sounds like a busy day to me! I hope your trip to the town will work out well and you can get your shopping done and presents delivered without any difficulties. Your planned soups sound tasty. Hope the coffee and crosswords club goes well and the format will be improved. Enjoy your concert, this evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The list has been reduced as I abandoned the plan to shop so can't make the soups just yet. The presents have been delivered, just a doorstop visit both times but it was lovely to see both of them.

      Crossword club is next ... let's see how it goes!

      Delete
  3. Wishing you an easy and successful trip into town.
    Holing the concert is great. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too busy in town so I came home without buying anything but have been lucky enough to get a delivery slot booked for tomorrow night so will at least get the essentials. I love his music so am in for a good night. xx

      Delete
  4. I do hope that the crossword group is a little better organized this time :) I did a final grocery curbside pick up yesterday, I wanted to stock up a little. Looks like we are heading into (another) Circuit Breaker Lockdown after Christmas, so already pick up times are booked. Tonight we are doing an at home, Winter Solstice Dinner & our music will be Enya & Loreena McKennitt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, unfortunately it wasn't better organised and this time she specifically invited people to call out the answer to whichever clue they'd solved. So, she asked us to start on 1 across and three people called out the answers to three different clues instead. It was really chaotic and definitely not for me, so I won't bother with it again!

      I hadn't heard of Loreena McKennitt but a quick YouTube search has revealed that she's just the type of singer I like, so will enjoy a drink break listening to her music. Hope you enjoy your Winter Solstice Dinner.

      Delete
  5. Hope you enjoy your concert! I just read the comment above about Loreena McKennitt. I LOVE her music, have been a big fan for a long time. She's wonderful! The songs are stories. Hope the soup turned out. I need to make some. It makes it so much easier when I want something quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thanks Sharon. Loreena McKennitt is growing on me and I've been listening to some more of her music today. I also found out that Enya is her cousin!

      The soups have to wait until after Christmas now because I abandoned any thoughts of shopping when I saw how busy it was.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts