Wednesday 22nd December

The 'coffee and crossword' sessions have now been removed from the selection of fun activities! The only way to describe yesterday's session is that it was 'chaotic' ... she actually invited people to call out the answer to any clue they'd solved instead of keeping people focused on the same clue so I left the session very early and have marked it down to experience. I'd half hoped this sort of session could go some way to filling the need for social activities but one good thing has come from it, is that it has reawakened my love of solving cryptic crosswords so I'll start doing a daily crossword again.

I also gave up on the idea of in-store shopping when I went into town on Monday ... way too busy for peace of mind. I was planning to go as early as possible this morning instead but on the off chance I checked the online ordering site and was delighted to book a delivery slot - the only one left - which will be arriving tonight. It must have been a cancellation as last time I looked there weren't any slots left. So ... I've ordered everything I need for Christmas, plus enough to see me through a good part of January just in case stricter restrictions are enforced after Christmas. I will only need to go into town now if a Christmas food essential isn't available but to be honest, I will most likely do without. I feel much less stressed knowing that's all in hand.

There's nothing in the diary so will try to visit both of my nephews and their families today instead of leaving it till Christmas Eve. I have to take Miss C's birthday card round ready for Christmas Day so will still deliver that, even if I don't get to see them and on the way home I'll call in to see Baby R .... and his parents, of course. Tonight's TV highlight is the celebrity edition of The Great British Sewing Bee so I will be watching that ... what are the betting that the Tesco delivery arrives at the same time? 

Comments

  1. Are you able to record The Great British Sewing Bee just in case Tesco turn up while it's on? It's a blessing to be able to book a delivery slot, do you have a delivery pass with Tesco? I do and it's worth it's weight in gold, the monthly fee is a small price to pay for peace of mind. What a shame about the crossword session and seems she took no notice of the feedback. How lovely for Miss C having a Christmas Day birthday, I hope she has two lots of presents that separate birthday from Christmas. My late Mum had a Boxing Day birthday and she definitely had separate presents and two days of celebrations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll watch GBSB on iPlayer if I do miss any of it. It is a shame about the crossword session but at least it didn't cost me anything as I was still in the trial period.

      Miss C has most of her birthday gifts in June when she celebrates the half year and can have friends to her party. Her parents and grandparents give her birthday gifts on her actual birthday - the morning of the 25th is her birthday celebration and then at noon they switch to Christmas and C and her sister get to open their Christmas gifts.

      Delete
  2. That's a shame but, really, it's no way to run and online anything, is it? Imagine running a classroom like that!!
    How fantastic to get a late slot - definitely worth looking! Mine's all done now and away, miracle of miracles!
    Now I just have to do my cooking 'plan' on The Day. Normally it is very flexible but I'm cooking something I am uncertain of so need to be more organised, for my own peace of mind really.
    I've set Sewing Bee to record. I'm really looking forward to it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crossword session has a bit of an identity crisis and doesn't know whether it's a teaching session aimed at beginners or is for advanced puzzler. I think it'll always be a problem untill they clarify that and as for the calling out of answers, I don't think that's fair on anyone.

      I'm waiting on the delivery now. It should be here by 8pm so I will only miss a few minutes of the Sewing Bee, if that

      Delete
  3. I think game playing with everyone shouting out answers would most definitely lose its charm if you are not all gathered in the same room. I have been enjoying the NYT mini crosswood and Spelling Bee puzzles that are free on the app. I am not committed enough to subscribe to get the tougher stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel that if everyone is doing their own thing and solving whichever clue they fancy, they might as well just sit down with the entire crossword and do it alone. They're not gaining anything from a group activity.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear how very disappointing that the puzzle group proved to be. No matter, I am sure there is something brewing in the online wings that will be a good fun fit. I am glad I got my final shop in earlier this week, with restrictions of 50% capacity in stores, curbside pickups have once again been an optimum option. Fingers crossed delivery comes before the Sewing Bee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind. Soon be a new year and new possibilities 😊

      The delivery is due within the next hour so I won't miss too much of the Sewing Bee if it doesn't arrive until the end of that time slot.

      Delete
  5. Oh no. Sorry it was so chaotic!

    I braved the shops this morning and will again tomorrow - one shop was all I could stand. I have actually made a list and what I don't have we will go without. Things are really busy and people here aren't wearing masks. I could hear someone with a really vicious cough without a mask. Sigh. I just kept my head down, kept going and got my stuff bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put it down to experience!

      Well done on braving the shops. It's supposed to be mandatory to wear masks in stores here but a lot of people are still refusing to and all the big stores have said that they won't ask their staff to enforce that rule because of the aggressive behaviour when people are challenged.

      Delete
  6. Well done for your shopping. I went to Tesco at 7.30 wednesday morning, the car park was packed, and the fruit and veg section was also packed, the rest of the store not too bad, and I was home in less than an hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to get a delivery and hearing how busy it was, I'm really thankful to have avoided the crowds.

      Hope you both have a lovely Christmas xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts