Lifestyle Changes 1

I've been reviewing my lifestyle goals at the end of each month and this has been an invaluable tool in making the necessary changes to achieve the lifestyle I desire. However, in one aspect of my life, probably the most important, I am not seeing the improvement I want so am changing things round to make health and fitness my main focus.

I'm already eating healthily in terms of the types of foods I eat so now need to tweak things to kick-start the weight  loss. I know I can do it as I have previously lost three stone through calorie counting. Of course I'm now back to where I was before that (at the time) successful attempt. I've been comfort eating during the lockdown so, on weighing and measuring myself to record my starting point, I was delighted to find that there is no change at all - same weight, same measurements - since November 2019. I haven't maintained a constant weight since then and know there have been gains and losses but it helps to know that overall, I have stayed the same.

I eat a fairly restricted diet anyway because of food allergies but I have noticed that I am further restricting the foods I eat through my meal choices. With this in mind I've been looking at the changes I can make to increase the variety in my diet. I'll be basing my eating on the Slimming World (SW) plan but I won't be rejoining, at least not for now. I'm aware that whatever I do needs to be a re-education and lifestyle change rather than a temporary diet.


At the moment I'm calorie counting (which I know isn't SW but better to make a start while the time feels right) and am looking for recipe ideas to add more variety to my meal choices. When I'm ready I'll sort out some online supermarket deliveries, aiming for fortnightly deliveries, which should make it possible to have plenty of fresh fruit and veg at home, and will then follow the SW plan as much as I am able - healthy extra As won't feature too often in my diet because of allergies.

The fitness side of things is slightly more difficult because of joint pain. I'd like to say I'll do 'X' number of minutes every day but realistically, that's not going to happen. I'm making an appointment to see my doctor about the joint issues (and also take the opportunity to review blood pressure and complete blood tests) as, although he's advised that exercise will not cause damage, my left knee is now continually swollen and something isn't right. 

I'm currently aiming to do fifteen minutes at least every other day which is not enough but better than nothing. I am also making a conscious effort to be more active during the day. I keep busy but for the majority of my interests am seated so, unless I make the effort, it is really easy on days without housework to reach the end of the day and have walked fewer than 1,000 steps. I don't have a target in mind, just the wish to generally be more active and spend more time on my feet.

I'm in no rush to join the madness following the easing of lockdown and still intend to isolate at home as I have been doing, but I am ready to see more than the inside of my home! I've already worked out that walking alone, either locally or by driving to somewhere isolated, is a very  low risk activity so I plan to make myself do this regularly from now on.

I went out for a walk yesterday morning, following the pathways which criss-cross this part of the village. Here's one of them which gives plenty of room for social distancing - the path itself is over six feet wide. 


To show just how close this is to me I looked back and photographed my home - the one with the yellow dot above it - this is just around the corner within a few steps of my front door, so I really have no excuses!


I walked in the other direction yesterday. Imagine the path in the photo above continues to the left and the following photo would be what you see. This leads up past the football field and tennis court, towards the primary school.


There weren't many people about. I paused my walk at the tennis court for a few minutes and, through the fence, watched four adults playing a mixed doubles match - they apologised for all the swearing when they realised I was watching! The only other people I saw when I was out was a lady walking her dog and a family playing football. Usually on a Sunday morning there is a football match in progress, either one of the adult local league games, or one of the younger children's league games. 

I turned back towards home to follow the path at the end of School Lane and was delighted to see that the local council has made a start on their promise to create wildlife areas. This patch was designated as a butterfly area so has been planted up with all sorts of wildflowers. It looks beautiful, so much better than the neglected place it used to be.


I was out for about thirty minutes and for the second half of the walk had definitely developed a limp, but it did me good. I mustn't forget the benefits to my emotional well-being! 

Other changes have been planned but health and fitness is my main focus. I'll update you on the rest in another post.

Comments

  1. Well done - just really well done! I think you know what I mean.

    (and you live in lovely surroundings, don't you?)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy x

      I am lucky enough to live in a beautiful area, so need to keep reminding myself to take advantage of what's on my doorstep!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and just to warn you that I may have questions! 😂😂

      Delete
  2. That's good that you have managed to maintain your weight and measurements since last November. You might have gained all what you lost, but, at least you haven't gained anything on top of that! Good luck with the calorie counting and dietary changes.

    It looks like you have a lovely area for walking very close to your home. That strip with all the flowers looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I feel ready to do this - my weight and lack of fitness is affecting what I can do so I need to turn that around. The fact that obesity is one of the conditions deemed high risk/vulnerable in coronavirus terms just makes it so much more important to deal with it now. I will still be considered high risk because of other medical issues but losing the weight can only be a benefit for me.

      It is beautiful. The town council is due to assume responsibility from the county council for maintaining the grass verges and once they do, they are planning to stop mowing grass verges where it is safe to do so to allow wild flowers to grow. This happened naturally in some places during the lockdown - from the photos I saw on Facebook, Wiltshire will become a very colourful place!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful walking path you have so close. I like the wildflower garden the council have planted. Today is the opening of the dog free leash area within the walking park close to me. It will be crazy for the next few days. I am sure those walks will do much for your emotional well being, which will do good for your sleep, your physical ... you get the waterfall affect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pathways are one aspect that was really well thought out when they built these houses. Five minutes the other way from home is the marina and the canal. There is also talk of creating a cycle/walkway to the next village which will be brilliant if it does ever happen. I really am spoilt for choice! I'm sure that the walks and any time spent outdoors will bring huge benefits ... can't wait!

      Delete
  4. "not enough but better than nothing" is true, but "not enough" is also better than too much. Injuries take forever to recover from. You're doing right by taking care. I enjoyed seeing your walking path. It's good to have a safe place close enough so that you don't have to drive to it. They've done a great job with the butterfly garden area. Such a delightful sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually wondering whether it's rheumatoid arthritis which is why I want to see the doctor in person.

      I'm notoriously slow at healing from anything but I've had enough now and want it to be over and done with. You are quite right though - it is better to do a little than to overdo things and possibly cause more problems.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the calorie counting, Eileen. One of my former colleagues did it and lost over 100 lbs.

    Your neighborhood is is beautiful. I love the butterfly area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a fantastic achievement. Did your colleague manage to keep the weight off?

      I'm very lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

      Delete
  6. It's good to have nice walking routes easily accessible Eileen and I hope your eating plan works for you. I also released 3 stone last year and my new way of eating has made me feel so much better. It's good to find a way that works, and it sustainable. It sounds like you know what works for you.
    I have also started to increase my exercise. It's been pretty non-existent during lock down as I chose not to go outdoors, other than for essential shopping and to visit my Mum who is 90 and depends on me for her shopping, laundry etc. I find it helpful to have accountability, so I decided to share my progress and journey on my MIND YOUR BODY Facebook Group and to invite other women to join me in their own steps towards change. If you've not already seen the posts for July, and are interested, please pop over and you'd be very welcome to join in. There's no commitment, just daily posts to inspire, and to encourage mutual support among those interested. Have a good month and I hope you see small improvements in your health and fitness. You are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like the right time to do something about my weight and lack of fitness, and I know that having the right frame of mind is half the battle.

      Thanks for the offer of the Facebook group but at the moment I will decline. As part of simplifying my life I am freeing up my time by keeping social media to an absolute minimum so am trying to restrict my use of Facebook.

      Delete
  7. Nice walk! I've given up counting calories and losing weight. I've been doing it for 30+ years and, although I am bigger, I have maintained the weight I'm at for a couple years now and don't fluctuate much. I think the trick is finding something that works for you, something you can maintain as I don't think the going up and down helps anything. I do find myself eating better in the summer just because it's hotter and we tend to eat lots of cold, fresh veggies. Winter here is really cold and my guys work outside so we tend to have heavier, hotter, more filling food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to continue at my current weight and the lack of fitness is impacting on my mobility so I need to do something sooner rather than later. Losing weight can only help with the joint pain and I know calorie counting works for me so it seems the best way forward.

      I'm the same as you and eat differently during the summer months, with more comfort food type meals in the winter - I don't like the cold at all so couldn't cope with the conditions you have.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts