My Favourite Things

I've copied this idea from Joy, who shared her favourite things yesterday. Many thanks for the idea, Joy.
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens.
Brown paper packages tied up with string.
These are a few of my favourite things . . .

1.  My favourite film - watching films is a relatively new thing for me and something that's only found a place in my life in the years since losing Ced. I love all the Disney classics but outside of that genre it isn't easy to make a choice as it depends on my mood. Two that stand out as I was trying to think of some titles are Brassed Off, and Les Choriste - I could watch both of these over and over again!

2.  My favourite book - my 'go to' nowadays for an easy and relaxing read tends to be detective/crime novels though I don't really have a favourite author in this genre. I can't really go past this question without mentioning the Harry Potter series which I re-read regularly and always enjoy (much better than the films!) and Terry Pratchett's Discworld series also deserves a mention. Two books I read when young have always stayed in my mind - A Vicarage Family by Noel Streatfeild, and I Heard The Owl Call My Name by Margaret Craven.

3.  My favourite dessert lemon meringue pie or fresh fruit salad.

4.  My favourite dinner I love curries, but not the mild creamy ones. It has to be at least a medium heat for me. Coming a very close second on the list is a proper roast dinner with all the trimmings.

5.  My favourite drink I don't drink alcohol at all. At home I stick to black coffee or water, but socially tend to choose elderflower or sparkling water.

6.  My favourite music this is almost impossible to answer! My favourite musical is Les Miserables - that was an easy choice! As for all the other possible choices, it all depends on my mood, but favourites choices to listen to include The Lark Ascending by Ralph Vaughan Williams, Chopin's Nocturn, and Holst's Planet Suite. If I'm singing then a favourite is Benedictus by Karl Jenkins, and if I'm playing a brass instrument then my choice would be Slaidburn, or any of the traditional brass band marches. 

7.  Favourite time of day - Early evenings in autumn and winter as the nights draw in, the curtains are closed and it's all snug and warm indoors 

8.  Favourite colourreds and pinks, with purples and blues a close second. 

9. Favourite place to be on holiday - I don't have an actual location, just anywhere by the sea. 

10.  Favourite artist - I have two - JMW Turner and LS Lowry - completely different in style but they both 'speak' to me on a level that no other artist does.

Feel free to join in. I'd love to read all about your favourite things.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this, thanks. I'd forgotten about Les Mis - that's a favourite too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! I enjoyed reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this. Just thinking what my favourites would be. Have noted down Les Choriste and the books to watch/read. Thank you. I love the dark evenings too, it's nice to hear someone else does too. Everyone I know dislikes them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, dark, cosy evenings at home are the best!

      Delete
  4. I agree with everyone else, this is a happy post read. I am also a fan of HP books over the movies & I've just started The Deathly Hallows, so should be wrapping up next Friday. Les Mes is also my favourite musical, there's a couple of songs that still make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to come up with answers for some of the questions and I wonder if I'd make the same choices on a different day. Music in particular depends on my mood but Les Mis definitely comes out top of all the musicals and HP books will always make the favourites list.

      Delete
  5. I don't have a favorite film, and I'll certainly be checking out yours :) The books, too. I like HP and Discworld -such fun creations- and I've read I Heard The Owl Call My Name. I'll probably like the Streatfild book, since I like the others you suggest, so I'll see if I can find it. Thx!

    Wassily Kandinsky is my favorite artist. I have eclectic taste in music and my Spotify playlist wanders all over the place lol

    What a cozy post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some of Kandinsky's abstracts but am not really a fan of his earlier works. I forgot to add Mondrian in my list of artists!

      A Vicarage Family is available as a free eBook.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm googling now. I love free books :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts