Wednesday

Despite my new found freedom I pulled up the drawbridge and spent yesterday at home. This is probably too much information, but I couldn't keep my breakfast down and felt tired and achy all day, a bit like a migraine without the pain. I've no idea what it was but after a good night's sleep, I feel fine this morning.

It might be another day indoors today as I'm waiting for a parcel, due to arrive any time between 7am and 7 pm! If it's here early enough I like to get out for a drive round if it rains, or a walk over to the canal with my camera if it stays fine.

I finally got my head around the food ordering. I have a list of regular cupboard and freezer items with amounts worked out for either a four or six week delivery. With that delivery I'll order enough fresh fruit and veg to last for a couple of weeks as well as the veg I need for the bulk cooking, plus any additional items needed for recipes or just to ring the changes. I discovered that the greengrocer in town opens at 7am every morning, so I will try going early to do a top up shop when necessary which should sort out the issue of keeping a supply of fresh produce at home ... that's what I'm hoping anyway. Divers and Sundry reminded me that I could also try the farmers markets as well. The delivery is booked for next Tuesday and once received, I'll have quite a lot of bulk cooking to do.

I've had a few enquiries about resuming tuition even though brass playing is still officially suspended. I've stuck to my guns and confirmed that I have retired but I did almost cave in when R enquired - I taught her from the age of eight through her mid teens and only stopped teaching her when Ced's illness took over our lives. Now an adult, she still plays with the band and wants to complete her music gradings so thought it would be nice to continue with me teaching her as I took her through the first five grades. I did think long and hard about it but in the end decided not to. I think it's the right decision for me as it would certainly have led to other enquiries from the band, which I don't want. That would be a huge backward step!

Comments

  1. I understand the difficulty with saying 'no'. I have as many students as I want to cope with and am now saying 'no' to requests. It does help that now all the children I taught are out of primary phase so, unless they are siblings, I don't actually know the children personally. It makes it easier to decline.

    The food plans sound great - good luck with them.
    Hoping you continue to feel really much better through today.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to be asked and to learn just how much she'd enjoyed her lessons with me, but I don't see tuition being part of my life for the next couple of years. Except for Misses C and H if they want to learn, but that's different 😁

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you made the right decision to stay at home and rest, yesterday. Glad to read that you are feeling better, today.

    Sounds like you've worked out the food delivery needs quite nicely! I hope you are able to pick up the fresh produce as needed without too much stress. Do you have the equivalent of curb side pick up available? Would that be an option?

    I think you made the right decision to decline teaching music to your former student. If you change your mind, you could probably go back to teaching without any problems, but, you really wanted a complete break from the band and it hasn't been even a year yet, has it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The supermarkets offer a collection service but there is still the difficulty of getting a collection slot, which seem to be harder to arrange than a delivery.

      I'm hopeful that the occasional early morning shop will keep me supplied with fruit and veg, and with the honesty box egg purchases I should be able to keep the fridge well stocked.

      I still feel I want a complete break from the tuition so am happy with my decision. I assume she is just looking ahead and planning as face-to-face lessons for brass and woodwind instruments are not permitted yet.

      Delete
  3. Hope you feel better today. It's so annoying having to stay in all day for a delivery. I'm always pleased when companies narrow it down, even if it's to morning or afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better today, thanks.

      I prefer when they narrow down the timeslot but this courier never does, so I will have to stay in and wait. I'm looking for new recipes while I wait!

      Delete
  4. I think everyone benefits from a day doing nothing but resting. Good that you feel better today.
    Do you have a Food/vegetable Box company near you that would supply fresh things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few box deliveries but the smallest box that most offer is just a bit too big for me. The main problem is that they either won't confirm the exact contents of the box or if they do they then make substitutions, which is a huge issue for me because of food allergies.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if your malaise was the delayed release of tense over Danielle's COVID test results. But thankfully you are feeling right as rain today :)

    I've been checking on our local farmer's market (Wednesdays) to observe how social distancing is being managed before I actually attend/shop. Nothing like fresh in season local produce.

    I think it wise not to start up band lessons. That decision to get there was a hard one. Plus, you just couldn't be sure of who's in their bubble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much more likely to be a warning that a bad migraine is due. That's something to look forward to ... not!!

      I think the greengrocer is my best option because it's unlikely to be crowded anywhere in town at that hour. The local markets seem to be lacking any real social distancing or wearing of face masks but they are usually empty in the last hour of trading so are still an option.

      The decision this time was based more on practicalities. Putting aside the fact that brass playing isn't yet permitted, I couldn't have the window open to ventilate the room without disturbing my neighbours but more importantly it's to do with the less savoury side of brass playing which is dealing with water in the instrument (from your breath) which has to be emptied out regularly and which, when the children do it, goes everywhere! Much too risky for me.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry you felt ill and am glad you were free to just back away for the day.

    I can feel how tempted you were to return to some teaching. It's hard to say "no". You showed strength both in your willingness to consider it and in your decision to do what's right for you in your life now.

    Keeping a list of items you want to keep on hand with amounts you need sounds like several steps above my system of writing it down when I open up the last one lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss working with the children but I haven't had the opportunity to replace that with anything else yet. I'm sure I've made the right decision and I need to keep looking forward!

      The lists are held electronically on the supermarket website so when I place the order, the items I buy every time can be added to the basket with one click instead of having to choose them individually. I can alter amount or delete any that I don't need on that order as well as add any other things I need as a one-off. It'll save a lot of time

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts