Thursday


The osteospurmum plants have secured their place in the garden. I haven't decided yet whether they'll be in pots or dotted about in the flower beds, but they'll definitely be there somewhere. I don't know if they are fully hardy to get through our winters so will need to investigate ... or maybe one of my UK friends may know the answer to that ... please?

The parcel finally arrived just after 6 pm yesterday evening so I didn't get out of the house in the end. The day started with sunshine but that didn't last for long and from mid morning it was chilly, so I was quite happy to be indoors in the warm.

The morning post brought notification from my optician that they have resumed eye tests. Mine was due back in March and my current glasses need a new prescription so I will make an appointment. They included the details of the checks and working practices in place to manage hygiene and social distancing which set my mind at rest a little. I don't want to leave it any longer so it's better to get it over and done with. Waterstones bookshop is next door to the opticians so, if the bookshop is people free when I've finished at the opticians, I will spend my final book token and treat myself to a couple of books. I think it may be possible to phone ahead so they can get the books ready for collection but I need to check that.

Even though I've said I want to avoid shops and busy places I am aware that I am stretching the boundaries I set for myself, with visits to NT properties, proposed shopping trips to greengrocers and bookshop, and essential medical appointments that can't be put off any longer. It seems inevitable though it's happening rather quicker than I'd hoped, but I can still take sensible precautions and spread out the 'leaving home'/'mixing with others' and try to handle my own easing of lockdown to a level I feel comfortable with. The library is due to announce their plans for loaning books so I will be interested to read how they've decided to manage the situation and if it seems okay, I'll have another option to get some more books.

This morning the Iceland delivery is due between 8 am and 10 am, so the morning is set aside to do a bit of cooking for the freezer. If I get everything I ordered I'll cobble up a tofu and mushroom curry and a veggie chilli. If there are substitutions, I'll just have to put my creative head on!

This afternoon, I'm hoping to get out to take some photos and then will carry on with the new piece of music I'm learning for tenor horn (with the rather boring title of Study No 36!). 

Comments

  1. Morning Eileen 😊
    I love osteo's too. They are half hardy but unlikely to survive severe frosts. I have cut them back and then put them in my cold greenhouse. But really I find it best to start with new plants each year. You could always think about perennial daisy type plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, this answers my question. It'll have to be new plants every year for the pots as I don't have a greenhouse. I'll have a look at the perennial daisy types.

      Delete
    2. I think they'd stand half a chance if you potted them up and put them in the garage, along a wall that adjoins the house, if poss.

      Delete
    3. The garage isn't attached to the house but I will try your suggestion anyway. Thanks xx

      Delete
    4. Possibly stand the pots in a box and stuff newspaper between them for a bit of insulation. Good luck with it. Hope it works but if not at least you've tried, and osteospermums are certainly worth it.

      Delete
    5. Thank you, I'll give that a go.

      Delete
  2. Mine lasted through a mild winter but not a colder one.

    You're right, some things have to resume and that means braving shops, etc, again. I have to go into town to collect my prescription, probably on Saturday morning, and I intend to go early so as to be there by 8:30 which is when Boots opens. I have to visit the hearing aid place in Specsavers and various other bits and pieces too so it will be mask and gloves ahoy and follow all the one way signs for pedestrians!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you still feel anxious about going into shops? I assume it will get easier and at least I have more freedom than some to choose a time when it's less likely to be busy.

      Delete
  3. My osteospermum plants in the front garden (afternoon sun) die down in the summer, but, self seed and come up again in the spring! :) The ones growing in the back garden do better in the summer. You might find yours self seeding, too, and probably popping up in various corners and sheltered spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be nice if they do but I think the perennial daisy type plants may be my best option.

      Delete
  4. Those flowers are pretty :) I googled them and have had similar plants here. The butterflies liked them, as I recall.

    It's good that you can safely return to things like eye appointments. That's my next step, eye doctor, as I'm well overdue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to wait a couple of months for an eye appointment but as it's overdue, I have accepted it. I suppose so many people are in the same situation. I feel nervous about going to it but I can't put it off indefinitely as I need the back of my eye checked again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts