Lifestyle Changes 2

I think that, compared to many, my lockdown experience has been a positive one.  I've had no worries over work or finance, no children to home educate and keep amused, and have only had to worry about providing for myself. Even though I was isolating, it was relatively easy to get deliveries and I had plenty of offers of support. I've lived alone for a few years now so am used to enjoying my own company and keeping myself entertained, something that was made so much easier by all the online quizzes, free musicals, plays and ballets.

The lockdown in the UK is easing, too quickly in my opinion, but there is no denying that the changes are already having an impact on my life. The choir quiz and street quiz have ended as the organisers decided that there are now plenty of others options for people to resume their social lives. The Friday night musical is also due to end after the final screening this week. 

Taking all this into account I've decided that the time is right to make some changes in my own life ... but with extreme caution! The majority of my friends and family are taking the same approach as me which is to wait and see how things go. I will continue to self isolate but will walk locally or drive out as I mentioned yesterday. I have no intention of visiting any shops and will continue with online deliveries, but in some way, still undecided for the most part, I want to resume in-person meetings with the important people in my life rather than the Zoom calls we have been doing.

This was going to be the year I started ticking off holidays abroad - my time for travelling - but I have accepted that it's just not going to happen. I know that air travel is possible to certain countries but the bottom line is that I don't want to take the risk. So I have been trying to decide on an alternative that I genuinely want to do and won't feel is a poor compromise. Overnight stays are currently out of the question so I am looking at the local area to fill the void created in my plans when I abandoned the possibility of overseas travel.

It didn't really take me long to decide and sort of ties in with my focus on being more active in my days. I've always loved local history, especially the quirky and the unusual, but like a lot of people I have ignored what's on my doorstep. There is so much of interest locally that I keep saying I will 'do' one day ... well, that day has arrived and I will be pottering about the area finding all those places and things I've only seen in books and other people's photographs. 

This isn't as risky as it may seem, or at least I'm hoping it isn't! The South West, where I live, has consistently had the lowest rate of infection in the country and initially I only plan to visit outdoor locations - if it turns out to be busy, or I feel uncomfortable in any way, I can always turn around and come home. I'll take my own refreshments and will have a mask with me as well. My first adventure will be on Friday - I've bought a ticket to visit the garden at The Hall in Bradford on Avon, where there will be restricted access and a one way route around the grounds. L is joining me and we will maintain the two metres distance - she's been isolating as well so is as anxious as me, but I'm looking forward to an afternoon out in her company.

This is turning out to be a much longer post than I thought it would be so I'll end now and finish off tomorrow. It's gardening day today so I'll be discussing my ideas with Danielle. Excited or what!

Comments

  1. Great plans & great attitude about your adventures. I've said before, we always need back up plans & usually the alternates turn out amazing. Maybe you'll find some items for the SPSH! Excited to hear what Danielle has to say about your ideas. I agree about opening to soon; that a rush to "opening" is in many countries proofing disastrous & many are having to take big steps backwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cope better by always having something in the diary to look forward to, so local trips out will be achievable and enjoyable. That's the theory anyway! And it is dependent on no second wave!

      I'm hoping to be able to order some of the plants after today's discussion with Danielle.

      Delete
  2. Hi Eileen,
    You did well to remain isolated. We have been shopping in hypermarkets here, with a mask and distance, going to the pharmacy, because it was authorized. The exits are now to places where we know that there are not many people.
    We are not going on vacation this year either, because my son who is in Toronto cannot come to Portugal. It is too early to travel.
    You do very well to explore what's around the place where you live, because you will surely love it.
    Good walks.
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ailime, luckily I like my own company so the lockdown wasn't quite as difficult for me as it was for others. I'm staying away from all shops for now and will just go for walk where I know it won't be crowded. It's a shame you son can't get to Portugal but as you say it is too early to think about travelling. Better safe than sorry! Take care x

      Delete
  3. I like your plans to visit local areas and have safely distanced in-person meetings with loved ones. It sounds like things are fairly under control where you are and it should be safe to venture out. Enjoy discussing your planting plans with Danielle and have fun on Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've been very lucky so far in this area but I am still taking things slowly and continuing to be sensible.

      We both got over excited when we were chatting about my plans for the garden. Hopefully the first plants will be ordered in a couple of weeks 😁

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts