Garden Ideas 2


A and B have both been cleared and are the areas to be planted this year, hopefully. I have no reason to think it won't happen but I don't know yet if the realisation of my ideas means that some of the planting will be better off waiting until next spring.

My vision is that these two beds will have the specimen shrubs, softened with an informal mix of bulbs and perennials, supported by the boost of annuals (dotted around the garden) during the summer. I don't want any part of the garden to have formal grouping or planting in straight lines. A has space for bigger/taller shrubs than B. The backbone of the planting scheme will be a combination of roses and fuchsias, plus a couple of extras. 

Looking at A first, I was originally planning to relocate the buddleia, Wisteria Lane, from the front garden to this area but have now decided to leave it where it is. I'd like this area to have a fuchsia, a couple of roses and a columnar apple tree. The following photos show the sort of thing I'm considering but the actual variety may depend on what is available when we see the list for the charity plant sale at the wholesale garden in September. I don't have any specific must have varieties in mind so am quite happy to choose from what is available, but will buy online if I don't fall in love with any of the available choices. The columnar apple tree will have be purchased online but I haven't decided on the variety yet. This is the sort of thing I'm thinking of ...


source
the chosen tree will go in the corner where A & C meet

source
Tottering-by-gently, a shrub rose
4 feet height x 4 feet spread


source
Super Fairy rambling rose, to be grown on an obelisk


source
fuchsia - I haven't decided on a variety yet but it'll be one which grows to about 5 feet in height and ideally will be this colour combination

In B there will be a couple of smaller shrub roses, ones that repeat flower during the summer months, but I haven't settled on any varieties and will see if Danielle has any suggestions. This area will also have a smaller fuchsia, the variety as yet undecided. The colours will likely be either purple, pink, white, or lemon but I don't have a strong preference - all I know is that I want to restrict blue to a few of the perennials and absolutely no orange. The apricot colour of the existing rambler is enough for me!

I'll talk about the bulbs and perennial planting in the next post.

Comments

  1. There's plenty of lovely colour there to brighten up the darkest spots. Lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's going to be 'red' as well but I left it out of the post for some reason.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I want an apple tree like that! :D I imagine one has to do a lot of pruning to maintain it, but, it probably won't get top heavy like my peach tree and fall over! I like that Super Fairy rambling rose, too. I think it will look lovely in your garden. Lots of good plant possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just discovered that they can also be called minarette fruit trees, a much nicer name I think. Yes, they have to be pruned every year to maintain the shape and should fruit quite heavily on the short branches. The fruit is the normal size of the chosen variety but the entire tree should only be about 2 to 3 feet wide.

      I'm wondering now whether I want to choose my plants from what's available at the sale or whether I want to select from all the choice that's available online.

      Delete
  3. Looks like some wonderful choices for plants; I also do not like any orange in my garden & I have a couple of peachy pink daylilies that are more than enough of that shade. This year on my online ordering of annuals I got three fuchsias, I chose pink/purple but what are blooming are all white with purple & you know I quite like this change. How lovely to be able to go pick fresh fruit from your own garden plus apple blossoms are quite fragrant in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like the white/pink or white/purple fuchsias and will have one in a pot or a hanging basket. The pink/purple ones are associated with my childhood so that's the one I want to plant and get established in this first lot of planting.

      Delete
  4. Oh Eileen, your garden will look beautiful!
    Your ideas are wonderful.
    I love them all!
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. I still have to discuss my plant choices with Danielle (my gardener) so I'm hoping that the conditions in my garden will suit all of my choices.

      Delete
  5. All great choices. I'm another who is taken by that apple tree. Reckon I could find space for one of those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having two, maybe three - apple, plum and cherry ... my own mini orchard. They can be grown in containers if necessary, if that helps you fit one in to your garden.

      Delete
  6. I have never heard of a columnar apple tree. Cool! You have this project well in hand. It's great that you have particular plants in mind but are also willing to be flexible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a columnar tree at the previous house but it died when our neighbour built a workshop and cut through the roots. It doesn't take up a lot of space but you end up with a good crop.

      I'm open to Danielle's suggestions as well, so it will be interesting to see how much I stray from this plan!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts